PDA

View Full Version : Does Enco make decent measuring tools?

Machine
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I have a friend that's selling some of his old tooling and measuring devices, which includes some Enco micrometers and telescoping gages (for bore checks). What do you guys think of Enco products for occasional, weekend warrior use? They seem to go a lot cheaper than Starrett, Mitutoyo etc.

lowcountrycamo
12-15-2012, 11:37 AM
For homeshop use they will be fine. I bought a set of 6-12 outside micrometers, some still unused and they are more than fine for hobby work. Much better than horror freight.

SGW
12-15-2012, 11:45 AM
I suspect the micrometers will be quite adequate. The telescoping gages may be another story. They depend greatly on user "feel" for their accuracy, and I've found it much easier to get good results with Starrett gages than with imports. You'll just have to try them and see how well you can do. It does take practice.

Metric ball bearing bores are a good thing to practice on. Measure the bore with a telescoping gage and an inch-reading micrometer, then do the conversion to metric and see how you did.Doing it that way keeps you from fudging your reading because you know the answer ahead of time.

JCHannum
12-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Enco doesn't make anything. They apply their brand to tools manufactured by others. Their older tooling, back in the 60's & 70's was not too bad, usually european imports rebranded. More recently, they are the usual chicom tooling of variable quality. You might get lucky, or not.

I have not purchased from them for years, yet, for some reason, I get their monthly flyers. They go straight to the trash.

Dr Stan
12-15-2012, 12:01 PM
The telescoping gages may be another story. They depend greatly on user "feel" for their accuracy, and I've found it much easier to get good results with Starrett gages than with imports. You'll just have to try them and see how well you can do. It does take practice.

All telescoping gages require one to develop a feel. It will sound virtually sacrilegious to some/most, but I actually prefer Enco telescoping gages over either Starrett or Brown & Sharpe. The Enco gages have a cube at the intersection of the handle and the telescopes. I have found it to be quite useful when measuring a wide & deep enough slot as you can keep the gage relatively flat with the work unlike the sphere connector on the others. I've long since purchased adjustable parallels, a planner gage, and gage blocks, but depending on the circumstances will still go back to the telescoping gages for measuring slots.

PeteM
12-17-2012, 06:09 AM
The older Enco-sold micrometers might vary from some mainland Chinese mics with pressed steel frames (which you want to avoid, even if almost free) through Polish made near copies of Mitutoyo (fairly decent) to current Chinese units (some aren't too bad).