PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify the high temp plastic hose used on my compressor unloader?

gellfex
12-15-2012, 03:48 PM
My C-H compressor has black plastic hose for the unloader valve, I'd like to get more for hooking up my automatic drain, rather than using copper. Yes I know these valves are controversial, but I've had good luck, and I'm where I can hear it working. But for some reason it's starting the blow the cheap tubing it came with, possibly a leak while cycling letting more hot air into the line. It doesn't leak normally. But it is hard to hear a leak down there with the unit running!

Anyway, there's so many plastic hoses of different ratings, I was wondering if anyone knew what the material & specs of this stuff was.

Boucher
12-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I have recently started using the black Air Brake line from NAPA. To connect from the compressor discharge to the tank.
It is marked Parker Hannifin Air Brake PFT-10B SAE J844 Type 3B 5/8 OD A DOT 01/97 SAE PA11 017003
I have not used it enough to be confident of its suitability. This line uses a special fitting with an internal ferrule. I do not leave the compressor turned on when I am not around.
I had a Cummins NTC 350 engine that had a Teflon discharge hose with a Steel braded cover. The air was hot and the environment was hot (Stationary Application). Cummins Had to order it and it was a little pricey but worked well.
This application is for attachment to the compressor head to the tank inlet. I have been using this from the tank outlet to the steel air line for several years. The use on an Auto drain should be OK. I have been using the 1/4" version for air plumbing for several years also. I donít remember the cost for sure but think it cost more than copper.

Willy
12-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Go to to either an industrial supply store or a commercial truck dealer (Kenworth, Freightliner, etc.) and ask for Gates ACR (Air Compressor oil Return) hose.
This hose is good for 500 psi and temps from -40F to 300F.

Actually most engine oil or hydraulic hoses are rated to at least 250F. Just make sure you find one that has a rating for a lower psi as the 4-5,000 psi hose becomes very inflexible which could be an issue if you need to make small radius bends.

gellfex
12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
thanks, but I'm not sure either of those products are right. The existing hose is not multilayered with mesh, just a stiff black 1/4" OD hose. I was hoping one of the many McMaster products might do, but it's hard to tell.

JoeLee
12-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I know the black hose your talking about but don't know what the material is, maybe nylon???. I would just use a piece of copper tube like all the other compressors use, at least the ones I've seen. it's your safest bet, besides that unloader hose can get pretty hot and oily.

JL................

Boucher
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
This is available from NAPA it is used on air brakes on large trucks.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/DSCN0038Small_zps48632b27.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/DSCN0035Small_zps77295234.jpg

What did you not understand about my first answer?

garagemark
12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-tubing/=knbc9w

or for extreme temperature:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-tubing/=knbcqs

Compression fittings to match; good to go. I have used the top link tubing. Works well. Just don't forget the insert.

Gunsmithing
12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Use copper tubing in a lupe this will last about 30 year on ever day use. Also used before hi temp hoses.

Dave

My C-H compressor has black plastic hose for the unloader valve, I'd like to get more for hooking up my automatic drain, rather than using copper. Yes I know these valves are controversial, but I've had good luck, and I'm where I can hear it working. But for some reason it's starting the blow the cheap tubing it came with, possibly a leak while cycling letting more hot air into the line. It doesn't leak normally. But it is hard to hear a leak down there with the unit running!

Anyway, there's so many plastic hoses of different ratings, I was wondering if anyone knew what the material & specs of this stuff was.

Willy
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Boucher
This is available from NAPA it is used on air brakes on large trucks.

Yep, if it absolutely has to be plastic line (aesthetics?) then it's hard to beat Boucher's recommendation of plastic brake line meant for air brake line applications. I believe most is rated for well over 200įF.

Not a lot to go wrong with copper or flexible oil/air line either as long as it adapts to your system easily. This last point may be the determining factor for you.

Rich Carlstedt
12-19-2012, 12:28 AM
When we used rubber that had to work on hot dies ( 450 F), we specified "Silicone rubber", as most others fail around 300-350

Go here to see a similar listing, but ours was much larger ( 1" +) and had thicker wall

http://www.pexsupply.com/Rheem-79-21491-83-3-16-x-18-Silicone-Rubber-Tubing?gclid=CMTLqOfPpbQCFYw-MgoddVoAOQ

I have no connection with the above company, OR the product which I have not used. Only am using it here for an example.
They say 392 degrees, but we were hotter than that, but I forgot who the supplier was
Rich