PDA

View Full Version : emco compact 8

plunger
12-16-2012, 05:44 AM
I have a dilema. I bought a emco 8 compact about 8 years ago. It was hardly used and came with a stand and milling attachment on the crosslide with a emco vice and er type collet.It also came with all the steadys and an emco 4 jaw. All the stuff except for the 3 jaw had never been used. I paid $600 for it and wondered if I paid to much. I was a total noobie and only after reading on this site for a couple of years did I realize that emcos arent to bad. But here is my problem. I havent used it for about 5 years. It just sits in my garage. Does any one know if these little lathes are in demand?Normally if I own something I can never sell it.Or if I sell it then I need it again.
In my country emcos are unknown really.Every thing is chineese
What is this lathe worth.Only thing wrong with it was the capacitor which I changed the first day I got it. It also didnt come with a faceplate or quick change post

lakeside53
12-16-2012, 01:16 PM
I've owned a few Emco's, including a Compact 8. In the USA it would sell easily, and for a lot more then you paid for it. Heck, you could probably get the $600 back by selling the steadies (which is Nutz.. but...!). Do you have the set of change gears?

In your area, I have no idea, but surely quality is still recognized by a few.

plunger
12-16-2012, 06:41 PM
All the gears are there.Even has two spares beltsand the manual. I bought its daddy a v 13 so I have no use for such a little lathe

flylo
12-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I have a friend from Durban now living in Canada, but I think his son is either in Durban or Capetown. It's a long shot but I'll ask if his son wants one, If so I'll let you know. Emco makes fine machines.

wern
12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi Eugene,

Why don't you ask Brent he seems to collect Emco's.

Werner