PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's Techinical Books - It May Be Too Late To Order

gcude
12-16-2012, 08:42 PM
I made my list of books and checked it twice from the "Last Catalog" from Lindsay's Technical Books. Pulled up the secure web page to place my order and this is what I got:

https://lindsayb.startlogic.com/forms/of2.html

I have ordered from them in the past, so maybe they will reopen after the first of the year.

gda
12-16-2012, 08:52 PM
That's what I call customer service!

lakeside53
12-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Ah... the Christmas spirit is alive and well ;)

sasquatch
12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
The new catalog i got had a write up about retiring, but the last orders would be i think Feb. 13th?

Gonna miss that catalog, it always had some interesting stuff in it.

oldtiffie
12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
There was a good warning posted here not so long ago that Linsday was closing down or being sold off or what ever and everyone had a fair chance of getting their orders filled in good time.

bborr01
12-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow,

Oh well, it sounds like he's not looking to re-open his business long term so what has he got to lose. Except his reputation.

Brian

sasquatch
12-16-2012, 09:02 PM
The last i read, he mentioned that one of the staff was considering taking over the stock and peddling it on Ebay i think.

Always figured he could be a "Crusty" old fart!! Lol

flylo
12-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Nothing like going out with a Bang!

wierdscience
12-16-2012, 09:52 PM
From having worked on the other side of the sales counter I would say cut him some slack.90% of the general public is generally civil to do business with,the other 10% insists on driving you insane.

You would be amazed at just how arrogant and rude people can be over the phone or internet and after awhile it builds up to a point you just have to back or in Lindsay's case shove away from it all.

People also do wait until the absolute last instant before doing what they need to do.Remember the saying "A failure in planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours"

Mcgyver
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
From having worked on the other side of the sales counter I would say cut him some slack.90% of the general public is generally civil to do business with,the other 10% insists on driving you insane.

You would be amazed at just how arrogant and rude people can be over the phone or internet and after awhile it builds up to a point you just have to back or in Lindsay's case shove away from it all."

all true I suppose.....but its all in the way you handle it. that seemed the equivalent of some harried clerk running through malls arms in the air screaming :D

flylo
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I've worked retail all my life & miss many customers & buying, selling & making deals, but I don't miss the few cheap know it alls. I had one customer that was the absolute worst, always saying he should be buying somewhere else, which I wholeheartedly agrred with. Anyway I had some plyood for sale & this guy called 3 times & cried about the price & how he could have bought it where I did. I was about to give in when he called on his phone which showed his name, I politely told him I didn't work reatail anymore, didn't have to be nice, wasn't selling him a darn thing & he could go to the store & pay full price. Sure felt good!

lazlo
12-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Wow, that's a hell of a business acumen! Not! :rolleyes:

He posts a going out of business notification, which then gets posted on the various hobby forums, and he's bitter that he got a flood of orders?

Who the heck is going to re-order with that kind of attitude?

browne92
12-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I had an order planned for after Christmas. Catalog goes in the garbage tomorrow morning.

jstinem
12-16-2012, 11:44 PM
"Who the heck is going to re-order with that kind of attitude? "

I think Lindsay really is quitting the business. He really doesn't want people to re-order.
Also you have noticed in his catalogs that insulting troubling customers in advance is just who Lindsay is. He just wanted you have your ducks in a row be before you wasted his time with fouled up order or rambling phone call.
I'm going to miss him.
Joe

wierdscience
12-17-2012, 12:10 AM
all true I suppose.....but its all in the way you handle it. that seemed the equivalent of some harried clerk running through malls arms in the air screaming :D

18 years I have had to deal with them and their numbers are increasing.Everything from people who can't take no for an answer to the three or four people I have threatened to call the cops on.

Take a normally hectic day and add these idiots to the mix and it just becomes so much nicer-not!

lazlo
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
18 years I have had to deal with them and their numbers are increasing.

It's not that their numbers are increasing Darin, it's that you're getting older :cool:

But I have a solution for your problem: post a sign on the door that you've "been beaten into the ground with orders from lazy procrastinators ordering large quantities."
I assure you the problem will go away!

Highpower
12-17-2012, 12:17 AM
I had an order planned for after Christmas. Catalog goes in the garbage tomorrow morning.

I had order his "last catalog" some time ago with the intention of ordering 2 or 3 books. After thumbing through it and reading multiple comments on every other page about his customers being idiots and too stupid to understand anything he had to say, it went straight into the trash. No waiting until tomorrow. He should have quit a long time ago from the sound of it.

oldtiffie
12-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Its amazing how may "customers" speak AT rather than TO who ever is trying to take and satisfy their order as if they were their personal slave (or dog?).

The "order-taker" is NOT always (ever?) "management" and can only offer a product and a price that manager has set for it.

Some "customers" are absolute ignorant pigs and the sales clerk should be able to ask them to be civil or to leave the store.

I can understand Lindsay's position as he warned previously as I recall that last small orders would be filled by February and given that a lot of books would have a considerable "lead" time that he could not satisfay those orders by February let alone "before Christmas".

I could imagine him being stuck with orders to his suppliers that might be late and that he might be stuck with - same with "clients" who refuse to pay if the items are not delivered two days before Christmas.

I think he could do with out the hassle and is making sure he gets "caught" as little as possible.

darryl
12-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Sounds like he's highly frustrated that people haven't been ordering the products regularly over the last years. Now he gets a flood of orders, and it's 'stupidity and craziness' ? What if nobody responded to the threat of the business closing- the low number of orders would remain just as low, and he would be able to say 'how stupid of them- we're going out of business and they should be taking advantage of the time left to get the books etc they want'.

I can understand though- it's like we're making him starve all these years by not ordering the product, but now we want him to scramble and slave just when he wants to quit it.

wierdscience
12-17-2012, 12:43 AM
It's not that their numbers are increasing Darin, it's that you're getting older :cool:

But I have a solution for your problem: post a sign on the door that you've "been beaten into the ground with orders from lazy procrastinators ordering large quantities."
I assure you the problem will go away!

I have and did,doesn't work:D Just last week I was cussed at by some idiot that couldn't believe we weren't open on Sundays:rolleyes:

Lindsay is going out of business,he told everybody so,there won't be any continued business.At least he told everybody so,he could have just shut the website down and turned the phone off.

Frank Ford
12-17-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm in my fifth decade of full time service/retail myself, and I hope I can continue to avoid the bitterness discussed and displayed above. That said, I do know a few who are involved in small scale publishing, and I'd be that Lindsay is or would be more beaten down by digitally transmitted pdf "reprints" than he has been by his less than satisfactory customers.

Lindsay, if you happen to be reading: it must be tough to close down after thirty years- I wish you well in retirement!

vincemulhollon
12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
I'd be that Lindsay is or would be more beaten down by digitally transmitted pdf "reprints" than he has been by his less than satisfactory customers.

I've been a customer since I guess the late 80s though not so much recently. He was the only source from 1980s thru 2010 for reprinted ancient metalworking books and special short run productions like the Gingery series (which was some pretty interesting reading, even if I never built any of the machines... I never REALLY understood how a drill press worked until I read the "make your own drill press" book).

Today in the 2010s books.google.com already exists and lulu.com already exists. Its not "could be" but "already is". Small historical reprint publishing is selling buggy whips and those metal spouts that oil cans used to use ("oil can spout" probably only makes sense to people 40+). Speaking of oil can spouts one of the old guys at work a couple years back was walking around with one playing the "what is it" game, and some of the kids (well, kids as in under 30 at that time) responses were hilarious. In 30 years we'll have a generation that thinks putting ink on stacks of paper to read is equally hilarious, just like we don't use ancient scrolls for our books anymore.

Lindsay, if you happen to be reading: it must be tough to close down after thirty years- I wish you well in retirement!

Times a hundred or so from me (roughly how many of his books I own, at least two and a half bookcase shelves)

As far as crusty attitude, I enjoyed the honesty. I'm actually offended when I go to a brick and mortar and some pimply faced fool recites the official corporate drivel script about how much they care deeply about me. Like that scene from "Idiocracy" where the people-greeter has to tell every arriving customer that he loves them. I'm here to buy a drill bit not get a date. It makes me shop online when I can... I traded Lindsay lots and lots of good money for lots and lots of good books and we both walked away happy, doesn't matter if either of us thought the other was a (insert offensive word here), a fair trade is a fair trade, and my highest compliment, in a world of crooks, to the guy for being a fair trader for a lifetime. Got exactly what I paid for, on time, don't want or expect anything more.

sasquatch
12-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I too wish Lindsay well, I always enjoyed his catalogs and the few books i ordered from him.

I also enjoyed the "CRUSTY" attitude he had, combined with the humor in his catalogs.
Those two things told me much about him.

I have wondered How Long the type of business he was in would last, much of the younger generation is not interested in the content of the publications he had, and i,m sure the internet had a hand in the demise of his products.

Machine
12-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I ordered a boatload of books from Lindsey in the 80's and 90's. All of the Gingery series and a whole lot more. Sorry to see him go and apparently have a meltdown towards the end. Hopefully there's not some personal tragedy behind the scenes that's the real culprit for that sign off notice. Sometimes people behave that way when something awful happens and other people misconstrue what it really means. Otherwise, if I were him, I'd just double or triple the price of my books. If you want to cut back on your orders and the volume of business you must handle, simply increase your prices. Orders will taper off very quickly then and you can get back to a manageable workload until your inventory goes dry for good. Supply and demand always works!

rollin45
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm sorry to see him go. I always enjoyed his catalogs and the attitude displayed in each. To be surprised at this point is to not have read his stuff closely in the past. I put in an order for a book fairly soon after receiving the last catalog, and about a week later got an email saying the book had sold out, and since it was first come first served, I wouldn't be getting the book. I was a bit disappointed, but not totally surprised as the warnings had been given well in advance.
As others here have said, I hope he enjoys retirement and wish him well.

rollin'

tdkkart
12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
90% of the general public is generally civil to do business with,the other 10% insists on driving you insane.

People also do wait until the absolute last instant before doing what they need to do.Remember the saying "A failure in planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours"

I'd call it closer to 80/20 in the opposite direction. 20% of the people I deal with on a daily basis are decent people, the other 80% are self-centered whiny-ass'd wastes of oxygen.

wierdscience
12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd call it closer to 80/20 in the opposite direction. 20% of the people I deal with on a daily basis are decent people, the other 80% are self-centered whiny-ass'd wastes of oxygen.

Don't hold back,tell us how you really feel:D

bob308
12-17-2012, 04:21 PM
i think it says in the catalog mail orders only. no wed or phone orders.

H8Allegheny
12-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, it's like my father used to say: "Half the people in the world are a$$h0les, and 90% of them live within 25 miles of you!"

There was a corollary: "Life would be awfully dull without a$$holes."

Brian
Taxachusetts

Grind Hard
12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Keep in mind when dealing with the aszholes of the world: Sometimes it's YOUR turn. :)

MichaelP
12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
I could've think of more graceful ways to close my business. Cursing people who put food on your table is neither wise nor classy.

Machine
12-17-2012, 08:32 PM
I could've think of more graceful ways to close my business. Cursing people who put food on your table is neither wise nor classy.

Yeah I kinda agree. On the one hand I like a little sass and funny attitude like the kind I saw in Lindsey's descriptions of his products. But on the other hand he seems to be lumping me in with whoever seems to be tormenting him. I certainly never did. I wrote him my checks, mailed them in with my order and never complained one iota. Never spoke to the man over the phone either. After perusing his book list again, my interest in his products was reignited. But with him telling me to f*** off like that, can't say I'm real enthused about sending another check.

oldtiffie
12-17-2012, 08:42 PM
If it were me and if Lindsay was still in business and I wanted a particular book or books, I'd put the personal/personality issues aside and stick with the issue of getting the books.

Those that knew of him would have been aware of how he might carry on and just pressed on with getting the books anyway.

Being rude or objectionable can be off-putting and might cause you to walk away from the deal - and so might a "thin skin" or being too "precious" - none of which gets you the books.

The Doctor
12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Just google the title of the book you're looking for, I bet you'll find it somewhere.

Ed

beanbag
12-17-2012, 10:32 PM
I dun get it. How come when Sir John is rude to his customers, they keep coming back for more?

lakeside53
12-17-2012, 10:42 PM
They suffer from BCS. "Beaten Customer Syndrome". No matter how much he berates them.... like his faithful dog -"sorry, must my fault", I'll try harder and buy more". lol..

browne92
12-19-2012, 01:12 AM
If it were me and if Lindsay was still in business and I wanted a particular book or books, I'd put the personal/personality issues aside and stick with the issue of getting the books.

I was going to do it old school, through the mail, send him a check. But when you see this: "If you mail or fax your order, I have an incinerator here waiting for it." WTF am I supposed to do with that? Waste a check and a stamp so he can throw it away? No, anything he has I can find elsewhere. His "crochety old fart" cuteness has worn off.

sasquatch
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
It will be interesting to see/hear what becomes of the remaining stock of books, i presume there must be a considerable amount of stock left, plus all the equipment, building/staff etc.

Rosco-P
12-19-2012, 09:16 AM
I was going to do it old school, through the mail, send him a check. But when you see this: "If you mail or fax your order, I have an incinerator here waiting for it." WTF am I supposed to do with that? Waste a check and a stamp so he can throw it away? No, anything he has I can find elsewhere. His "crochety old fart" cuteness has worn off.

Agreed.

Once had a Lindsay catalog, wasn't impressed by someone who was selling reprints. Discarded it. Old books that I want in print form, I find in used book shops or on Fleabay. Google books satisfies my other needs for information.

Perhaps Lindsay plans to be burried accompanied by his remaining stock of reprints?

Mcgyver
12-19-2012, 09:27 AM
It will be interesting to see/hear what becomes of the remaining stock of books, i presume there must be a considerable amount of stock left, plus all the equipment, building/staff etc.

is there staff, equipment, real estate and is he doing his own printing?

This was what I wondered about, if its an operation of any size, the intelligent thing to do would be to sell it. He's built a brand etc, unless its losing money like stuck pig it would have value.

As thats not the case, I wonder if its a guy in a grubby apartment somewhere and a PO box..... prints up 50 of a title when needed at the local print shop, bunch of steel shelves in the spare bedroom. A rash of orders come in, he's overwhelmed, used to working 4 hours a day now its 18 and he goes mental.

That he didn't try to sell the business makes think it may be more of cottage industry....but that's just a guess. Anyone more familiar with the operation?

Highpower
12-19-2012, 09:39 AM

On the front page of "the last catalog" it says:

"We're already rehearsing the process of loading pallets of leftover books onto a steamboat so they can be sent to the bottom of the lake."

I didn't realize Amazon was at the bottom of a lake somewhere. LOL!

MichaelP
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
On the other hand, maybe all this is just his humor, and not rants?

mrobertson
12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
That's a heck of a way to go out. Does anyone think that he wasn't profitable or was it that he was just tried of dealing with people?

If he was profitable, why wouldn't someone else pick it up? Or why wouldn't he just sell it off?

Like many other, I have quite a few copies of his books on my bookshelf. He's one of the resources I used to get started in woodworking and machinist work.

Matt

RPM22
12-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I got my last order in on time, and on his website was a link to a new site where many of his books have ended up -prices still the same -try this:

https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/

richard in Los Angeles

oldtiffie
12-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks RPM22.

That will (might?) ease the concernsof/for some.

From the "Your Old Time Book Store" web site:

https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/

Who we are:

We specialize in the high-quality titles printed by Lindsay Publications, Inc. As higlighted in the list of Book Categories, our selection spans many exciting subjects! We're proud to be a small business offering books you will not find in the big chain stores! We are also the only other retailer to offer the full line of Lindsay titles

madman
12-19-2012, 04:55 PM
He Just SNAPPED!!!!!!! Gone MAD!!!!

sasquatch
12-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Was he sniffing printing ink fumes? Lol

Hopefully he doesn't have some serious health problems.

uncle pete
12-20-2012, 08:53 PM
I dunno, it all depends on your point of view I guess. I'd much rather deal with someone who's upfront and honest about their opinions than some two faced bastard who hides their true opinions and intentions very well, and all to make a buck. I've worked with some really crusty types, and at least you always knew what they really thought. Maybe the truly honest types like that are slowly being phased out in our PC world? Food for thought anyway.

Pete