PDA

View Full Version : nuebe Napoleon project up in smoke. need info

veto
12-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Just burned my july aug 1985 copy of hsm in the wood burner by mistake. I have already cut the taper and trunnion holes on William Greens plans for a Napoleon cannon, went to grab the article and then realized what I had done. I did redraw the barrel on cadd but need the rest of that month's article. Any suggestions on getting another copy anywhere?

Veto
ps I have no idea how to use this forum but will give it a try.

Grind Hard
12-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I saw your thread and shot a message direct to George on your behalf.

veto
12-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Well thanks. I would appreciate any help. i could move on from the drawings but don't think that would be wise without referencing back to the article. I would love to hear if anyone else who built from those plans and how it turned out. I did find a thread in the gunsmith forum. That person states they found a lot of problems with authenticity of the project. Lucky I live near a national civil war park that I can check things out.

George Bulliss
12-18-2012, 07:35 AM
While the chances that we have the issue available for sale are about nil, we can photocopy the article for you. To get a photocopy or back issue, call Village Press at 1-800-447-7367.

Another option is to pick up a copy from a reseller and there are a few of them out there. The one I refer people to can be reached via email (replace “at” and “dot” with the appropriate symbols) at:
katonajoe(at)aol(dot)com

JCHannum
12-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Joe Katona is a good source for no longer available issues as well as machinist books. He deals in used publications, so his stock will vary.

The William Greene plans are good, basic plans that will result in an accurate model. I have built several of his models and am quite pleased with the results. He did adapt the plans to the average HSM shop, so they might not suit a purist looking for "museum" quality. However, many of his models were, indeed, made for and currently reside in museums.

These guns were not made on a production line and there were many variations in their manufacture, not to mention battlefield modifications. If you visit a Civil War battlefield to verify dimensions, you will likely find the carriages and accouterments are not original but aluminum castings.

veto
12-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks to Joe and George,

Its good to know that there is help out there. This forum seems to be a serious minded group when it comes to the subject at hand. That's a great relief. Joe you say you built a few of Green's models; if you've built the Napoleon can you remember any snags that might be lerking. Right now I was getting ready to cut the 5.026 radius near the muzzle but my raidius cutter doesn't go that large. I was planning step cuts followed by some file work. Any thoughts? (From anyone by the way).

As a back ground, I have been teaching high school shop for 34 years. What that means of course is that I know just enough to get me into trouble.
And my nerves are shot ;)

JCHannum
12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm Jim. I built a couple of the Napoleons, different scales have different radii, I simply blended it in with files. As long as you have the barrel taper and muzzle diameter correct, you can fair it in with a bit of file work. I did make a form tool for the cascabel.

I don't remember any problems in particular with the Greene plans, they are fairly straight forward. I glue or clamp the cheek pieces together to assure they are a matching pair. I used hot melt glue to assemble the wheels and modified the hub dimensions to use brass hobby tubing. I seem to recall the most trouble was getting the tires to fit the wheels properly. I didn't have a piece of stock long enough to make in one piece and soldered three pieces together.

I have since made patterns for my tracing attachment for several different sizes of a couple of cannon barrels. it is quite enjoyable watching them emerge from a piece of round stock.