PDA

View Full Version : OT: FedEx virus reminder

tlfamm
12-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Not a new virus - but still around, especially in the gift-giving (and shipping) season. The wife got our system infected this morning via email - I suspect her email address was gleaned from her Facebook account:

http://www.fedex.com/bz/fraud/virusalert.html

It appears that Norton Anti-Virus was able to cope with the miscreant (confirmed with the more robust MalwareBytes).

Wirecutter
12-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Interesting. I got a message yesterday, which I deleted via Webmail. It claimed to be from FedEx, and said my web account was about to expire due to inactivity. It contained a link, which was why I deleted it.

I never click on links contained in unsolicited email. No reputable company will send you unsolicited email with a link to a login. To click on such links is an invitation to trouble.

-M

edit: Now that I think about it, I also like that the account is expired. I obviously don't need it, and if I did, I could always create it again.

winchman
12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
The wife got our system infected this morning via email

Yeah, right. :D

Black_Moons
12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Best not to have accounts with these couriers anyway!
I told puralator to @#$@ off when they tried to charge me $50 import dutys on a $100 item (Actual import dutys: About <$15, rest was random stupid fees they tacked on), Since I had no account with them, No previous business and never authorized them to clear any items for me. Also was never told of any fees when I got the item or chance to refuse delivery based on that info, just 'heres you item' <3 weeks later> "Heres your bill" 6 weeks later "Heres your nastygram from our lawyer who isent even a valid lawyer in your country for not paying our scamragious bill"

Took em awhile for them to figure out I had more right to sue them then they had to sue me!

BigJohnT
12-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Never have those kind of problems with Linux...

John

rythmnbls
12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Never have those kind of problems with Linux...

John

+1 :cool:

michigan doug
12-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Be cautious. Apple got to bragging about how they never had virus problems or malware. This was perceived as a challenge to some hackers, and now apple has sheepishly admitted they now have virus problems.

finest regards,

doug