PDA

View Full Version : OT maybe related to way OT, print spooler issues, HELP

RussZHC
12-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Was playing with the Pi printing thread and lost my printer.

"Spooler Subsytem App", there are literally thousands of pages and just as many "solutions", unfortunately none of the ones tried so far work. More unfortunately said solutions range from unplug printer and restart to replacing hard drive and starting from square one. This appears to have been a problem for quite awhile going back to at least 2007 from what I can tell and across various operating systems and quite a few models of printers.

First updated to most current drivers. Edit: HP 1020 printer

M$ has an "emergency" app to scan for virus etc. as one source of the problem has/is a known virus, ran that, no virus/malware found (so guess that is good).

Right click "my computer", services, left pane, find spooler properties, "services status" and you have choices of automatic, manual, disable. Each time I have attempted a fix and get the same error message (above) and go back into the "services status" it is not running, each time I turn it back on and "OK" and or "Apply", the printer then goes through its start up hum, stops and said message pops up yet again. Go back and check status of services and spooler is now turned off. Appears to be an endless loop.
If you go into several locations and attempt to add a printer or perform other similar tasks it will not let you go past the initial point and just says the spooler is not running and so can not...

Please, help...FYI, I'm certainly no whiz at this stuff, so...

Edit: not saying or blaming the Pi thread (I found a clip art icon and was seeing what would happen if I printed it) but know it has been printing fine since it was first installed years ago and trying to print that icon was the first thing I did this AM.

duckman
12-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Got my pi maybe yours just got smushed and plugged up your printer. LOL LOL sorry.

Abner
12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Maybe you have a stuck document in the computer. I use this often when I get a paper jam or some internal document jam;
Windows XP--open (click0 'start' Open control panel, open printers and faxes, open your printer, click on the 'printer' box, click on 'cancel all documents'. Hope that helps.

RussZHC
12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Abner:I don't have a physically stuck document...oh, I get what you mean...I can open "printers and fax" but as soon as you go further than that, or try to go further, it more or less says can not connect/find since the "spool" is not available. That is the frustrating part, can't access what is involved in most suggestions I have found so far...plus of course it seeming to reset to off. Reboots, unplugging, complete shut off and restart in various combos have no effect that I can see...

Duckman: if I read your thread correctly, it was that a good looking script Pi when printed came out very stick like...I wonder if I just happened across one that in an effort to print the nice actual shape something got "confused"...I know that makes no sense...grasping...I did find an ice cube tray that made Pi shapes instead of cubes :rolleyes:

browne92
12-19-2012, 02:47 PM
If the spool file is corrupt, check disk might find it. Also, is the hard drive full? I can imagine Windoze doing weird stuff if the drive is full.

HTH's

Abner
12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
If you have never run disk check...
start
all programs
accessories
command prompt
type in cd.. hit <enter> and then repeat until you get the following.
C:\
then enter: chkdsk/f and hit <enter>

chkdsk = check disc. The /f part = fix.

It will tell you what it finds.

kwoodhands
12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I went thru this for several days and finally bought a new printer. I bought a Brother all in one that is much faster than the Dell I trashed.Paid $69.00 for the new one.
mike

RussZHC
12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
"Solved", or at least I have printed several documents after a "fix".

Thanks all.

Abner: your first suggestion was either very, very close or a variation on what fix I used...I started running into repeated suggestions relating to print queues or print jobs waiting and thought of what you had suggested. Turns out a long ago inkjet printer had, shall we say, more than one document waiting to be printed...I have not even plugged that printer in since moving and that was a bit over 4 years ago. What the fix ended up being was from M$ and to write/paste a bit of code into Notepad, then run that...more or less emptying the print queue/jobs waiting. Since in a way I did not have to go into anything related to the printer the greyed out options had no bearing. Don't know how far back those print jobs went or if some more recent jobs went to that line as well as to the printer I currently use which had no "waiting".

Abner
12-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Russ, Glad you could fix it, if you haven't already you might consider removing that old printer from your printer options, it could be that some rarely used program you have remembers the old printer as the default. I have a printer that will create a separate print job for every page of a multi-page .pdf, this eventually will over load the print que but it wouldn't start printing because it wasn't finished loading. I learned the hard way that I had to print in 20 page increments when printing long documents.

Abner