PDA

View Full Version : Small Bench Mills

lilguy
12-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Taig, Sherline and the MicroLux Micro mill are all smaller table/bench top mills. What are anyone's opinions or experiences with any of these machines. Any one preferred over another ? Thanks

danlb
12-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't have those models, but have the Seig X1 mill ( sold as the Harbor Freight Micro mill). It is similar in capability.

It worked OK for small projects. It takes small bites, so things like face milling take a lot of hand wheel cranking. The mills that are .050 per handwheel revolution will take 20 turns to move an inch. Milling a 3 inch part is 60 turns per pass.

I work mainly with aluminum. All of the operations are the same with the micro mill as they are with a Bridgeport.

None of the micro model seem to run fast enough for the small end mills that might be used when working on small parts. 2500 rpm is not quite enough to reach the proper surface speed when running a 1/8 inch end mill.

Even though I now have a mid sized knee mill, I keep the micro mill for second ops and for use as a precise drill press.

Dan

lilguy
12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Taig has up to 10000 rpm with mtr upgrade.

lilguy
12-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Making small aluminum and small steel parts for my firearms collection is what I'll be using it for. I can set up a sieg variant and a Taig 2019 for about the same money. Either machine suited better for my needs?

danlb
12-27-2012, 05:16 AM
I looked at the specs for the Taig. It sounds interesting. The 6 inches of Z seems skimpy. Compare that to 10 inches for the Seig X1. The X2 is even bigger.

The Taig uses an ER16 collet. Maximum tool size is 3/8 inches. Is that sufficient for your needs? The Seig (X1 and X2) uses MT2 or R8 spindle, giving the capacity to use bigger tools.

I would think that gunsmithing may require drilling decent sized holes in steel. I'm not sure that you will be able to do that with the Taig. I've drilled 1/2 inch holes in mild steel with my Seig X1.

Good luck,

Dan

lilguy
12-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Dan. Any issues you've had with the tilt column? Some discussions of excess flex and the need to be repositioned often.

Dunc
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
My mill is larger than an X1 although it has the tilt column. Given the time required to re-tram the mill after tilting the column you might want to tram it once and tilt the work in a vise instead.
Regarding flex, I have seen articles that recommend filling the hollow column with a mix of granite/epoxy resin (material is similar in composition to the "artificial stone" countertops. I have not done this & make no claim for its efficacy. Other suggestions include adding stiffener brackets around the tilting base. I don't have any site references handy but a search should turn up something.

danlb
12-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I have the X1 without the tilt column. Flex has not been an issue. It looks like there are no US importers left, so it's out of contention. The X2 is still available.