PDA

View Full Version : How much airborne spoil out of a surface grinder with coolant?

MrFluffy
12-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi all, my burdett hydraulic surface grinder landed early today from santa's hiab lorry, but I've tucked it in the corner of the barn while I prepare its final home hence this question.

How much airborne dust etc will it make in operation with the coolant running? I had originally intended to start populating the next shed with it to keep the dust and spoil away from the other machines, but on arrival I noticed the table is full of wet sludge from grinding operations, and it has two guards to prevent fling out during use.
If I can run it without impacting the health of other stuff in there that leaves me with option b, move some flammable stuff out into there instead (parts washer, honing machine to be, etc) and put the grinder in the main machine room where it will be near measurement tooling etc.

Can I reasonably run this in the same room with flood coolant and not have to shield the way's on everything else during operation? everything else being a mill, lathe etc, all with the usual open ways.

I have no practical experience of using a surface grinder to draw on, so I'm reliant on the experience here, thanks in advance :)

hareng
12-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Dont worry about we had 5 larger grinders in one shop alone and we did precision stuff for the likes of RR who would moan about a 5ft plate 1 thou out of square.

Airbourne is absolutely minimal the coolants blocking it.

Mcgyver
12-22-2012, 05:47 PM
coolant really keeps the dust down, although you end up breathing some coolant mist. I guess it lesser of two evils as you certainly breath a lot black dust if grinding dry. Back before is saw the light and added coolant, I'd wear paper masks that would be black on the outside after a decent grinding session.

my view is that a lot less grinding grit comes off the wheel while grinding than is popularly thought to be the case. I've collected lots of grinding swarf in the coolant filter and it seems to be all metal particles not grit. I know at some level the wheel is wearing, but I find I don't dress the wheel because its 'worn' I dress it when starting so its dead on or to clean it up cuz it feels clogged. wear such that is must be fairly slow meaning most of whats coming off is swarf not grit.

So while I don't think the amount of grit in the swarf is that big when grinding....look out when you dress it. That'll produce a cloud of grit that coolant wont stop. That imo is the part that puts the other machines at risk; it would be a good idea to throw a sheet over nearby exposed ways/bearings etc.

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-22-2012, 06:55 PM
If it wasn't so late already I would go to my workplace to take pictures of two grinders, the other having dust extractor and the other having none. They both have coolant, but the dust extractor version is cleaner overall, while the other flings stuff all around it and looks..well, crappy.

The swarf is of little worry other than nuisance to clean from nearby surfaces, and as said, contains little if any grinding wheel particles. The most wheel stuff comes from dressing and it really will fly out as a dust cloud, so be aware of it.

MrFluffy
12-23-2012, 06:31 AM
So should be fine, cover the ways on everything and use some dust extraction when I dress the wheel.
Understood, thanks!
I was out there last night in the early hours and I have to move some stuff about, but it'll all go in nicely.
Only one machine has to move building, and thats a ceramic chip forge that I hardly use anyway.
I may have to steal another parking space from the barn workshop for machines though, want to track a real cnc mill down now... :)