PDA

View Full Version : Gloat 1 leads to gloat 2

EVguru
12-22-2012, 06:40 PM
My Mondeo turbo diesel estate failed it's MOT last year in a way that made economical repair impractical. The Mk2 (Mk1 facelift) Mondeo is getting hard to find in reasonable condition and the later cars are common rail diesels which you throw away if there are fuel system problems. I'd already bought a Mazda MX3 V6 (only an 1845cc) as a cheap runabout, 400 for a pretty decent 85,000 mile example with 6 months of MOT, but I've really been missing the more than 6 foot load bed (seats down). A friend offered his Mk3 Transit, so for 500 I have an even better way of shifting stuff and even better another friend is paying for the insurance so she can use it as a race bike transporter.

Having the means to transport stuff lead to being able to buy a hobby foundry setup on ebay.

http://www.compton.vispa.com/Pictures/fp1.JPG

http://www.compton.vispa.com/Pictures/fp2.JPG

http://www.compton.vispa.com/Pictures/fp3.JPG

120 for the complete setup.

Toolguy
12-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Wow! That's pretty much the whole deal in one shot! YOU SUCK!:D

Tony Ennis
12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
You suck!

hoof
12-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Whoa... Real nice. I hope it serves you well. Certainly looks like it will

Peter.
12-22-2012, 07:52 PM
That's a cracking deal!

Dr Stan
12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
nice haul. Oh yeah, YOU SUCK!

rohart
12-22-2012, 09:30 PM
It's a shame you can't drive a van somewhere and buy some space. Then I'd have somewhere to put stuff like that. A neat catch !

EVguru
12-23-2012, 06:51 AM
It's a shame you can't drive a van somewhere and buy some space.

The van IS space!

The van is going to sit full of the foundry gear for some time until I get things organised.

John Stevenson
12-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Paul,
Just a heads up but I attended a lecture given by the guy does the casting at shows.
He mentioned he started off with a Kasenite furnace similar in design, he said it took nearly 3 times as long and 3 times the gas to get up to temperature than the one he uses now.
The difference is the old ones used a baked in place fire brick and the modern ones use a type of ceramic block that's very light weight.

What amazed me by his furnace was that it was made from one of those old round Baby Burco washing machines and all the original while enamel was still intact on it.

bob ward
12-23-2012, 08:55 AM
You will now need to waste a lot of time at alloyavenue.com or its predecessor backyardmetalcasting.com

EVguru
12-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Paul,
Just a heads up but I attended a lecture given by the guy does the casting at shows.
He mentioned he started off with a Kasenite furnace similar in design, he said it took nearly 3 times as long and 3 times the gas to get up to temperature than the one he uses now.
The difference is the old ones used a baked in place fire brick and the modern ones use a type of ceramic block that's very light weight.

What amazed me by his furnace was that it was made from one of those old round Baby Burco washing machines and all the original while enamel was still intact on it.

I'm aware that a solid refractory construction is not ideal from a fuel consumption point of view, although it becomes less of an issue if you're doing more than one melt. I've been meaning to build a furnace for some time and would have gone for a thin hotface backed up with ceramic wool insulation. I took this as an opportunity to get up and running quickly and I've seen these furnaces go for good money on ebay, so future sale should fund a replacement.

rohart
12-23-2012, 09:05 PM
After a riposte like that, all I can say is that you could have saved a lot of driving by turning the van into a huge furnace. A few refractories inside, use half the cylinders as a blower, shovel in some coal and Bob's your uncle.

mike4
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
+1 on that , a place that I did some work at had a big klin made using the modern bicks and I was amazes that you could heat one end of a brick with the oxy and hold the other end with your bare hand.

They kiln used to burn about 40 tons of LPG in a weeks cycle , inside was around 1000 to 1100 degrees centigrade . the outside frame was UC with a skin of 4mm black steel which was uncomfortable to walk on but we could work on it ok.
Michael

wierdscience
12-23-2012, 09:42 PM
So about $200 for that whole setup?That new vehicle is more of a get away van in that case:D