PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present moans

John Stevenson
12-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Bit of background.

Gert runs 3 Ebay shops, one of them sells smellies, candles and other rubbish and like all ebay goods photo's are needed.
She uses a mid range digital point and shoot camera but one gripe she has with this is when it's on the tripod you can't open the battery compartment to get the card out without removing the camera.

Once removed the batteries fall out when the flap is opened.

So small son suggested buying a WiFi enabled camera. Fast forward to 6:55 Christmas eve and sees our intrepid Sir John in the local point and shoot emporium.

All the affordable WiFi enabled <200 still have the card in the battery slot but they are moving away from AA batteries onto Li-ion battery packs and have a catch to stop the battery falling out.

Not impressed with the move to a dedicated battery, first Sony had this and expensive to replace battery but at least it can run off the mains via the charging lead. in Gerts case no problem as she's never away from a power point.

Still can't get the card out when on a tripod but with WiFi, again no problem, so shelled out the pennies and with it gift wrapped in a carrier bag we are set for Christmas day.

So this morning presented said gift, won 5 brownie points but lost 4 1/2 because of the gift wrapping.
Came to set it up, as usual nothing simple, why do they make it that hard.

I can get the Wifi to connect to Twitter, Facebook, upload to Samsung Sky [ or cloud ? ] but not to our WiFi storage system. It can even send to a Samsung phone, then you have to get it off the bloody phone ???????????

Best I can do is email it. So enter the email address using a an on screen keypad and the arrow keys then connect to the WiFi and enter the secure pass word, bingo we can email the photos. Bit long winded but working.

10 pics later and the battery is flat, one quick warning and it's switched off, bugger but it probably needs a good charge.
Plug the charger in and WTF ? it can't work whilst charging, check the calendar and yes it is 2012 and not April 1st.

OK leave it on charge and come back to it, come to email the other pics and it's forgot the email address and Wifi password and need to enter it all again.

Just in case it was the power loss, emailed two, plugged the lead in for a couple of minutes then tried it again.

FORGOT THE FREEKING SETTINGS

Can't belive this, we are going backwards. This bastard thing is going back first thing tomorrow.

sasquatch
12-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Agree, all this electronics stuff is way over me, and i don't even WANT to know about!!

Life is getting complicated enough,, keep it simple!!

lakeside53
12-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Ah... the disappointment of Xmas is not just reserved for the little ones ;)

rohart
12-25-2012, 07:41 PM
The more they pay the bosses of the companies that make this stuff, the more remote they get from the people who use their products. The chief designers of these little things go home to their expensive systems that have probably been installed by guys moonlighting from their company. They have no idea about what end users want.

They pretend to be scientific about users' requirements by running market research departments and focus groups, but these don't seem to get it right either. Those guys just sit around tables scoring points of each other. The more time rolls on, the more the user seems to have to fit themselves into a specific mould to use the standardised and lousy rubbish they sell.

Meanwhile, I went out and bought myself a book for the family to give me for Christmas. I told them about it, or I thought I did. Lo and behold, on one of their shopping sprees they bought another copy and gave that one to me. Now we have to figure out someone we can give the first one to !

MichaelP
12-25-2012, 07:46 PM
That's what happens when you go shopping at 6:55 Christmas eve. :)

.RC.
12-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Won't it upload to a ftp server?

Is it made by Bridgeport?

John Stevenson
12-25-2012, 08:15 PM
That's what happens when you go shopping at 6:55 Christmas eve. :)

Right spent today doing homework on the web.
All the Samsum camera's are the same, obviously use the same module.
Can't find a mid priced Wi-Fi camera that takes AA batteries, can fit a tripod and remove the card without taking off the tripod and talks to a WiFi system as opposed to facebook and all the rest of the brain dead social media.

Idea was take it back and get it changed even if i had to upgrade but seems I'm looking for something that nots made.

My old Panasonic DMC LS75 has the card slot in the side, ideal when on a tripod but obsolete now.

lakeside53
12-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Quit being a cheapskate and just buy her a Nikon D600 with the wifi option, and a bunch of lenses. Ok, so it costs about the sames as 2 pos bridgys but if she's happy, you'll be happpier.

Reminds me of my good friend/neighbor; he buys her a cheap (really cheap) but good looking string of fake pearls. He gets lucky for a day or two, then the clasp breaks so she take them to the local high end Jeweler and ... lol... when the dust settled, it cost him a string of REAL pearls... and a story that gets repeated every Xmas just so he "knows".

Poor guy, he had no intention of pulling the wool over her eyes, but she was so happy, he just didn't want to break the spell. ;)

oldtiffie
12-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Why is it so urgent that the image must be transferred from the camera to where-ever or what-ever while the camera is on the tripod?

Why not remove the camera from the tripod and the card from the camera and use a standard USB card-reader to transfer the image to the computer or what-ever USB-enabled wottsit?

There should be a small USB cable that connects the camera directly to the computer - probably while the camera is on the tripod.

rohart
12-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Because she sets up the camera, pointed at the table where she puts the items to be photographed, and she wants to shoot a few and check everything's OK. She doesn't want to crop when the item isn't centred properly in the frame, and taking the camera of its support loses the set up.

I agree with lakeside. Just get a good WiFi enabled digital SLR. Or if not WiFi enabled, get one with a firewire or similar cable.

The problem here might be you can't see the camera as a remote disk. With some Nikons you have to go through their Nikon Capture software. I don't know about Canon, or the Fuji and Kodak Nikon copies.

lakeside53
12-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Nikons' are just seen as a disk on usb. The D600 is a bit over the top for ebay pics, but there are many other choices.

kf2qd
12-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Most digital cameras have a USB port that pictures can be downloaded through. Might take the camera offline for a minute or 2 but don't require that you remove them from the tripod. I never remove the card from my camera and have transferred many photos and videos. Changing batteries might be a problem, but it wouldn't be all that dificult to make a remote battery holder. Use internal batteries when off the tripod, and the external barrey (or power supply) when on the tripod.

MichaelP
12-25-2012, 09:11 PM
If used camera is not out of question, a good Canon EOS SLR camera (20D, for example) with a decent lens can be bought for about $200. More will bring you 40D which has a very desirable ultrasonic sensor cleaner.

Those cameras have the card slot on the side, and the battery lasts forever. And, of course, one of those will be a "real camera", and not a point-and-shoot toy.

P.S. I never use USB ports that they also have: the transfer is too slow to my taste.

lakeside53
12-25-2012, 09:25 PM
USB2.0 is pretty damn quick... quicker than most wifi.

alanganes
12-25-2012, 10:40 PM
With the preface that I have never used one of these and so have no first-hand experience to offer:

Have you looked into the Eye-fi cards? These are SD memory cards the plug into your camera card slot, and supposedly do something like (I think) you are trying to do here. Store and automatically upload via wifi to you computer or whatever. As I said, I have not used one, but have looked at them just out of curiosity. Not too expensive either. No idea if they are available in the UK, but would be surprised if they were not. More info here:

http://www.eye.fi/products

914Wilhelm
12-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Why not build a tripod adapter to reposition the camera so its easier to access the battery and memory bays?

The Artful Bodger
12-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Would a high end webcam not be more suited to the task?

tyrone shewlaces
12-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Remember times when you wanted to see something all you had to do was look at it while it was happening? And before dementia you can even recall those moments instantly with something they just called "memory" without the need to describe how many bytes it was? And if you wanted someone else to see it, you'd just cup one hand into a bitty bullhorn while pointing with the other and yell "Hey JoeBob! Get a load of this!".

Ahh, the good old days.

darryl
12-26-2012, 06:04 AM
There's a new company with a product almost ready to go that will do all of that properly and simply. Their product is called Fee-Fi, and the companys name is - wait for it- Fo Fum. Chinese company obviously. :)

Yeah, the good old days. Didn't need no stinkin camera- we had pellet guns and slingshots, and a bike gang just down the road.

Krunch
12-26-2012, 06:38 AM
One word: Canon.

Never had a lick of trouble with any of my Canons.

malbenbut
12-26-2012, 06:42 AM
I said I could do with a flash drive for christmas I ended up with seven of them, very usefull. Three bottles of Harveys bristol cream, I must have thirty of them in the bottom of the wardrobe given in the past few years. The other things will never be opened. Dont tell the kids what you would like or you will get the same thing for the next ten years.Kids bought me a Nikon Coolpix 8000 two or three years ago uses a rechargable lithium battery an lasts a long time between recharges.
MBB

Black Forest
12-26-2012, 07:31 AM
John don't be such a tight bastard. You need to part with some of your cash to buy your wife a good camera. My Canon 300d I used once to photograph a lot of items in a lightbox. I hooked up a monitor to the camera and used the time delay button so there would be no wiggle on the camera when I took the shot. It was a long time ago but I think it was five seconds after I pushed the button that the picture was actually taken. It was displayed immediately on the monitor and if I didn't like the picture I could change things and take another. It saved a lot of time going back and forth to the computer to have a look. Also the card comes out the side not the bottom so if I did want to have a look on the computer I didn't have to take the camera off the tripod.

Probably could buy a used one on ebay for a 200quid or less. Let go of some of that cash stash you have and invest in your wife! Tight bastard!

John Stevenson
12-26-2012, 07:46 AM
The storage unit she uses has power, heating and WiFi, no computer and she doesn't want one down there. She's reasonably happy with what she has and only problem is that if she goes down to the unit nand has forgotten the card she has to come all the way back to get it.

Small son suggested that WiFi would break this chain and I agree but the moan was about the design and function. So this camera can't be used when on charge so when the battery dies unless you buy a new one it's scrap.
My old Sony which was one of the first digital's had a special battery but it could run off the power cable.
In fact it did sterling service as a shop camera until I got a new one.

She doesn't want either a high end or expensive camera, point and shoot is fine for many people, for 90% of the people simple is better.

Anyway going back and I have sent an email to Samsung expressing my distaste for their design for what good it will do.

I'll have a look round for something that takes AA batteries and has a side slot so it doesn't have to come off the tripod. I have altered the tripod to make it easier but most of the cameras have the slot underneath which unless you can turn it over in your hands gets awkward to remove.

Peter.
12-26-2012, 07:55 AM
You can remove the card from my Sanyo HD10 in moments but I don't know if a pistol-grip style camera is what would suit her.
It's behind a little rubber flap on the rear that you can see in this pic:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/536872/sanyo-plans-to-fight-traditional-camera-market

vpt
12-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Weird.

I have a sony (always had some sort of sony camera). We have had it around 8 years now. Still the same battery it came with and I don't even know what the memory card looks like. I just use the cord to plug the camera into the computer, push a button, and voila the pictures are on my computer. Before this sony I had the sony camera that you stick the 3.5" hard computer disc in. Take your pics, pull the disc out and stick it into the computer, easy peasy.

RussZHC
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Have never like the idea of proprietary batteries/battery packs...I think Canon has/had the most choices with AA size, though not sure how the situation is currently. The battery was the whole reason for the little camera I do have, used old A560 PowerShot.
Found it "opposite" with video cameras when I bought, where, for me, it was far more likely I thought to have to swap out mini tapes, with those Panasonic was one of the few who had side loading so you did not have to remove from tripod...recall thinking it a bit odd Canon got it on the still side but missed it on the video side.

One of the things, I don't know as I have not looked thoroughly, could be "new" as opposed to used. I wonder with cameras more so than with other products if changes are not made for change sake.

dp
12-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Anyway going back and I have sent an email to Samsung expressing my distaste for their design for what good it will do.

I'm very annoyed that electronic gadgets all see to be becoming terminals or remote kiosks for a company store kind of website where you have to connect in order to use all the features of your device. I have a Belkin Wemo wireless power switch that says on the box that you can control the power from anywhere in the world with your cell phone. They don't tell you an account on a third-party hosting service is required.

John Stevenson
12-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Starting to wonder if an Ipad would be a good alternative, has a camera and wifi conectivity,

Worth looking into ?

lakeside53
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
For your wife it will be useless - you'll just abscond with it to the shop and loose it behind the bridgy. Might be worth 10 points for a day or so though.

Peter.
12-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Starting to wonder if an Ipad would be a good alternative, has a camera and wifi conectivity,

Worth looking into ?

I'll just take a piccy with my daughter's iPad and you can judge for yourself.

Peter.
12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Ok, so on the ipad now and the first thing I notice is the camera app can crop but not resize plus I see no way of getting the image properties up. Also I find that I cannot log into my FTP from Safari so I can't upload the pic direct. Both are possible with downloaded free apps though according to google.

Upside is the camera does take very respectable photos - better than my Sanyo in low light for sure.

What about the android tablets - the galaxy nexus 10 is cheaper and of comparable spec with a much less restrictive interface.

davidh
12-26-2012, 12:50 PM
well peter, seems that didn;t work so well. . . .:)

Peter.
12-26-2012, 01:00 PM
You could say that :)

No reason it shouldn't work with a couple of installed apps and a horseshoe nailed to the back.

huntinguy
12-26-2012, 01:00 PM
You could just buy her a better phone. The new ones wifi, crop, resize and other stuff that I can't figure out. But they don't run on AA. However the new Apple phones battery seem to last a long time.

Allan Waterfall
12-26-2012, 02:33 PM

If you're lucky you'll get the standard "we're sorry you're having problems" reply and if you're really lucky they will have actually read your email and their answer will be about the camera that you are having problems with.
My experience with big companies is that all they do is get some dumbo at their end to do the reply after barely stopping to read about the problem,then the reply often has nothing to do with the problem you're having.

I had this with a Canon laser printer problem and got a reply about an ink jet printer,and I had a reply from Toyota about a list of problems I was having with one of their cars and got a reply saying they were sorry I was having problems with a totally different car,but I could buy an extended warranty.

Allan

MrSleepy
12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Aunty has a video that may help..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9778655.stm

The already mentioned "eye-fi (http://support.eye.fi/cards/start/setup-eye-fi-card/)" card (near the end of the video) looks handy if its the type of card your existing camera uses.

Rob

John Stevenson
12-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Aunty has a video that may help..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9778655.stm

The already mentioned "eye-fi (http://support.eye.fi/cards/start/setup-eye-fi-card/)" card (near the end of the video) looks handy if its the type of card your existing camera uses.

Rob

Rob, that eye-fi card looks the bees knee's, Amazon do them in the UK, just sent for one.

I did notice in the clip that all the attention was put on uploading to twitter and face book and the problem I had with the camera I bought for Gert, like no use of camera when charging and remembering email address's and wifi passwords were not touched on.

oldtiffie
12-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Most digital cameras have a USB port that pictures can be downloaded through. Might take the camera offline for a minute or 2 but don't require that you remove them from the tripod. I never remove the card from my camera and have transferred many photos and videos. Changing batteries might be a problem, but it wouldn't be all that dificult to make a remote battery holder. Use internal batteries when off the tripod, and the external barrey (or power supply) when on the tripod.

SAme here.

I have a Nikkon CoolPix L810 and mine has the card in with the batteries but the cable from the camera (little USB?) to the USB port in the computer works very well by-passing the need to remove the card.

I ahve no problems editing or cropping the pics in the camera using "Irfanview" as required and then up-loading directly to PhotoBucket if needs be. I do prefer to transfer the pics to the computer for editing etc.

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Clumsy bastard :D

oldtiffie
12-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by John Stevenson

Clumsy bastard :D

Odd that.

I turn my camera up-side down, open the cover, the batteries pop up (and stay in place) and so I press on the card and it pops up too.

QED

GadgetBuilder
12-26-2012, 08:44 PM
I use a tripod that has a quick release. It has a little block that screws to the camera and a cam locking setup on the tripod that grips this block. Takes only a second to release or install the camera onto the tripod. The Sony camera's connector is accessible while the block is in place; it connects by cable to the USB port and looks like an external memory card or, Windows will optionally treat it as a camera. The little block must be removed to change batteries but this is infrequent with ENELOOP AA batteries.

I suspect the connector on the camera is rated for more cycles than the memory card connector. I know I wore the memory card connector out in my prior camera.

John Stevenson
12-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Why don't people bother to read the post ?

The camera is on a tripod in a storage unit a fair distance away from any computer.

At present to remove the card you have to remove the camera from the tripod so it can be turned over to remove the card, or the batteries fall out and you are messing about.

From what I have read the Eye-fi card put forward by Rob [ think someone else mentioned it but Rod provided a link ] ticks all the boxes.

Basically turns any modern camera into a Wifi camera at very little cost.

Using one of these means that the computer can stay in the office and the camera can stay on the tripod, UNDISTURBED with the Eye-fi card inserted and it doesn't need to be removed.

macona
12-27-2012, 06:29 AM
You did make sure the eye-fi is compatible with the camera, right? It does not work with all cameras.

I have had a Sony DSC-v3 for about 6 years now and the lithium ion battery still holds up. Just keep them charged and they will be fine. And my sony runs on the power pack. I used that when I did a 72hr time lapse when techshop went under.

John Stevenson
12-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Yes checked that, it will work on Gerts but mine isn't listed although it's not for me.

My first Sony ran off the power lead no problem, in fact after the battery died it got relegated to a shop camera and all of my early photos were done on this camera.
This POS I bought Gert for Christmas won't run on the power lead, camera is dead whilst it's charging and every time you plug in it forgets all the wifi settings and you have to type them in again.

So according to the blub it does 190 pictures and you are stuffed unless you get get to a mains suppply and wait 4 or 5 hours.

I did readup on this and the only negative comment i saw was that i's fiddly to type all the info in with the toggle keys, nothing about having to keep doing it.
Owned about 5 or 6 digitals now and this one is the worst designed thing i have bought

vpt
12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I would have gotten another sony. I like my sony and it takes nice pictures.

I am amazed like in this picture even though the chuck was turning (you can see the chips falling) it looks like a perfect still shot with no blur. It does video too. Just amazing. And original battery. :)

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/9537/tap005.jpg

John Stevenson
12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Andy,
Mine was very good as well really liked it but got held to ransom by the special batteries and memory card, [ mine used an early Sony card, later ones fitted but the camera wouldn't read them ] said then never again.
We are geared for AA equipment , at least 3 chargers, office, workshop and Gerts shipping packing room, God knows how may batteries, even the clocks have rechargables in them.

We can swap batteries and SD cards between 3 camera's

MrFluffy
12-27-2012, 12:27 PM
I would make sure that eye-fi uploads to your local disk as you want, in addition to facebook/instagram etc. And I would make sure it can retain settings when its powered down so the camera can recharge...
Or you may be right back here on another rant once its turned up...

My personal solution would be a small laptop to take down the unit with the camera...

Timleech
12-28-2012, 08:43 AM
John

it looks as though you've found an answer, but I've just checked my Lumix TZ8 (probably not a current model any more though).

There's something like 19mm from the centre of the tripod bush to the battery/card door in the bottom. The battery is held with a catch, yes it's a 'special' but they last ages on one charge and I got an aftermarket spare for reasonable money. The card is held with the usual 'push to catch, push to release' arrangement which seems pretty reliable.

So, depending on what sort of tripod base, probably workable for your/gert's sort of use.

Tim

vpt
12-28-2012, 08:48 AM
How about a smart phone? Then you can cut out the computer part of it. Just take the pic and post on ebay from the phone. I think thats how they work, right?

JohnAlex141r
12-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Why don't people bother to read the post ?

Because it's always that way - it's harder to listen than to talk.

Another JohnS
trying hard to keep my mouth zipped.
;-)

Deja Vu
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
This POS I bought Gert for Christmas won't run on the power lead, camera is dead whilst it's charging and every time you plug in it forgets all the wifi settings and you have to type them in again.

So according to the blub it does 190 pictures and you are stuffed unless you get get to a mains suppply and wait 4 or 5 hours.

I still don't know what model camera you got for Gert. Mine has a small button battery in it(that I never noticed) that retains the memory.
Just wondering..

edit... saw this from a Samsung manual... iffy...but in the caution area...:
"
Do not use your camera when you are charging the battery.
This may cause a fire or electric shock. "
also..
"If you connect the camera to an external power source when
the battery is depleted, using high energy-consuming functionswill cause the camera to turn off. To use the camera normally,recharge the battery."

Does this imply that it CAN be used during charging?

Black_Moons
12-28-2012, 03:57 PM
lol.. reminds me of my camera
Plug into usb. Turn it on (yea, manualy)
Screen goes off after a few seconds to save power.. thats.. intresting.
Whatever, download photos.
Several hours later notice camera still pluged in. Oh well. Turn it off... hey, it is off.. Ok, turn it on... Low.. batt...
...Err, But it was pluged into USB.... Shouldn't it of been using USB power? Maybe even.. gasp, Recharge the lipo battery?

Nope, Uses battery power while connected to USB and USB disables its auto off function. Killed the battery a number of times doing that now..

John Stevenson
12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
No problem, gone back now.

Walked in the shop, handed it over and said I'd like a refund on this please.
Guy never blinked, just processed the receipt and put the money back on the debit card. never even opened the box to check contents or asked why I wasn't happy.

Just waiting for the Eye-fi card to arrive now.

Main thing is Gert isn't bothered her present worked out naff.