PDA

View Full Version : Modern Radial steam engine "How It's Made" any exerience?

lowcountrycamo
12-27-2012, 08:08 AM
I've seen this How It's Made segment many times on this modern steam engine. It looks very useful and no boiler. They even have it powering a small fiberglass boat? What do you think? It does not look too hard to build.

http://youtu.be/6NPpelLCIkk

EVguru
12-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Get yourself a copy of 'Experimental Flash Steam' by J.H.Benson & A.A.Rayman (TEE publishing).

Carld
12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
I have always wanted to build a steam powered car with a flash steam boiler. I think it would be fun and I'm sure there are antifreeze's that would work with steam and be recondensable. I hadn't considered a radial type engine but it may work better than an inline I had in mind.

Scottike
12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
That's a neat little engine - I wonder how much power it produces?
I'm not a steam guy, but I would think that bearings in an enclosed
crankcase being exposed to steam/water would be problematic?

michigan doug
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Steam engines ARE cool. The claims on that video are pretty debatable. The chances of that engine being more efficient than a modern gas or diesel ICE are ZERO.

"no boiler" Well, technically...hogwash. It's called a monotube boiler, and they are nothing new at all. Sure, they don't have gallons and gallons of superheated steam all in one big pressure vessel, that's true. Monotube boilers don't throttle especially well. The Doble steam car had the magic monotube boiler and an on board condensor a hundred years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doble_steam_car It also had double acting pistons/cylinder instead of single acting like on this one (power stroke both directions).

A cool engine, YES.

A good place to invest money because it's going to replace the internal combustion engine, not so much.

doug

Carld
12-27-2012, 10:55 PM
I was wondering about steam and water in the crankcase too. That could be solved with a sealed lower cylinder with a cross head rod and pressurized lube with a moisture separator. With the pistons getting steam as the crank turns the power would be steady and the torque could be high for low cubic inches. I can't see steam being something for everyone but a Stanley Steamer held the land speed record for a while.