PDA

View Full Version : Milling collet set -Feedback pls

oldstarfire
12-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Looking at a set of milling machine collets and holder for my Rong-Fu mill/drill with a #3MT spindle.

CDCO Corp (MWSHOP mag) advertise a set for $49
Seems to be the chuck, 8 collets, and wrench.
Maybe too cheap?

Anyone use these? Good? Waste of $$?

All/any comments please. Thx.

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I bought ER32 set with collets from CTC Tools on eBay and they were very good. Though I didn't use them long on the mill, as one idea at work came to my mind and brought the set from home. I drilled a 16 mm hole through the whole collet holder (it was quite crispy stuff to drill even with flood coolant, barely could drill it) and have used that for two years now for holding ejector pins for grinding them on a cylindrical grinder that has a MT3 head.

Maximum runout that I've seen was about 0.01 mm at the end of a 100 mm ejector pin, so they are as perfect as possible.

Edit: Don't remember what the set cost me, probably the holder was like 39 USD and the collets maybe 5 per piece. Can't be sure.

dewat
12-27-2012, 05:43 PM
I bought a set of those collets from CDCO in R8 , the collets are well made and work just fine, but what isn't posted is they are not ER collets , they are TG, I just "assumed" they were ER's. Something you might want to consider.

outlawspeeder
12-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Someone teach me... ER,TG???

Duffy
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Not sure why the collet set. I too have a "Rong Fu" mill/drill, (branded a King.) I bought the MT3 collet set and it works just fine. The difference is I have no 16ths collets, but have the additional 3/4." Most end mill shanks seem to be 3/8, 1/2 or 3/4. The advantage of the MT collets is they use a bit less "daylight."That is, the project from the quill a bit less.
I have bought quite a few things from CDCO and have been quite satisfied. His stuff is definitely NOT name brand quality, but neither are his prices. The fit and finish is not perfect. As an example, I bought a 5C collet set for $59.00. The threaded ends would definitely have benefited from a quick pass with a Scotchbrite wheel, but that would have raised the price. The set is perfect for my needs and abilities, and I cleaned it up myself.

dewat
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
This site has some good pics of the collets, click on ER then TG, notice the difference in the number of slits , ER collets have a greater range above and below the collet size, R8,5C, TG and others, not so much.

http://www.maritool.com/

No affiliation with Maritool.

Toolguy
12-27-2012, 07:05 PM
ER is short for Extended Range, TG is Tight Grip, AF is Accu Flex, DA is Double Angle, etc. Each type has it's own properties in terms of length, taper, slots and so on. In addition, each one has different sizes of collet, each size having a certain grip range of how large a piece it can hold.

Gunsmithing
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
My mill has 2MT work great I use with the tang with draw bar. One the best thing of Morse tappers easy to make your own tooling. I did buy all my end mill holders all other tool holder I made from bar stock.

Dave

Looking at a set of milling machine collets and holder for my Rong-Fu mill/drill with a #3MT spindle.

CDCO Corp (MWSHOP mag) advertise a set for $49
Seems to be the chuck, 8 collets, and wrench.
Maybe too cheap?

Anyone use these? Good? Waste of $$?

All/any comments please. Thx.

Boucher
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
I got the MT3 ER collet set from CDCO to use on the tailstock of my lathe. I consider them a good value considering the cost. The only problem that I have is that they do not contain a 7/16 which is the size of one reamer that they were purchased for.
I bought a 18pc ER 32 set from Jeff @ Tools4cheap they run $120 which I like better. He also has ER 16 and ER 25 sets but they may not be available with MT holders.
For use on a small mill the larger size chucks may be more difficult to work with.

oldstarfire
12-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Not sure why the collet set.
I too have a "Rong Fu" mill/drill, (branded a King.) I bought the MT3 collet set and it works just fine. The difference is I have no 16ths collets, but have the additional 3/4." Most end mill shanks seem to be 3/8, 1/2 or 3/4. The advantage of the MT collets is they use a bit less "daylight."That is, the project from the quill a bit less.
I have bought quite a few things from CDCO and have been quite satisfied. His stuff is definitely NOT name brand quality, but neither are his prices. The fit and finish is not perfect. As an example, I bought a 5C collet set for $59.00. The threaded ends would definitely have benefited from a quick pass with a Scotchbrite wheel, but that would have raised the price. The set is perfect for my needs and abilities, and I cleaned it up myself.

I also use split MT collets at present.
Two reasons:
1. I hate having to whack the drawbar every time I change cutters. Damaged bearings would be a pain!!
2. The extra length would allow leaving the LED spindle light ring (Princess Auto) in place. The ring (approx 1 inch deep) leaves almost no space (between the quill and the work) to see, and has to be removed to change tools.
I may go with the CTC unit, based on the comments here.
Thanks for the responses!
Ed in Winnipeg.