PDA

View Full Version : Oil for rotary table

GBertolet
12-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I recently purchased a 6" Phase II rotary table. I didn't realize, it did not include oil for the reservoir. Rather than place another order just for the oil, is there any type of oil available locally, such as at an auto parts store, that would work just as well? I think it's a 10 weight oil they recommend.

Dr Stan
12-28-2012, 07:27 PM
A manual RT is not going to be spinning at multi-hundreds or thousands of RPMs. Just use a good grade of 10 weight and keep it full. Even 3in1 oil would be a good choice.

uncle pete
12-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Any good light weight hydraulic oil should work just fine also. To repeat the standard warnings, you do NOT want to use a high detergent motor oil.

Pete

Scottike
12-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Just pickup some nondetergent 10wt at the local parts store.

Mike Amick
12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
oh crap .. they take oil ?

Mcgyver
12-28-2012, 09:02 PM
A manual RT is not going to be spinning at multi-hundreds or thousands of RPMs. Just use a good grade of 10 weight and keep it full. Even 3in1 oil would be a good choice.

don't know that is that simple.....but I claim no expertise. Its not speed that is the issue, but iirc there is a demanding sliding action of the worm against the wheel gearbox needing some special stuff....and there's a good chance one is bronze so you have to be careful any extreme pressure additives are ok with bronze. I'd keep poking around....and its a good subject so let us know what you find out.

Willy
12-28-2012, 09:41 PM
It's not really that critical.
As mentioned I'd stay away from high detergent type engine oils or gear lubes with EP additives that are not yellow metal friendly.
Way oil, spindle oil, or a straight ISO 32-46 hydraulic oil, (which should be easy to source), would my first choice.
All of these oils operate at some very high pressures and loads for the various applications that they are recommended for and also have excellent R&O (rust and oxidation) protection capabilities.

GBertolet
12-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was given two 16oz bottles of Skill Hammer Oil. It is intended for use in air tools. According to the label, it has anti wear additives in it. I guess it would not react with bronze bearings, as many air tools have them. Would this be OK?

Dr Stan
12-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was given two 16oz bottles of Skill Hammer Oil. It is intended for use in air tools. According to the label, it has anti wear additives in it. I guess it would not react with bronze bearings, as many air tools have them. Would this be OK?

probably

gzig5
12-29-2012, 02:01 PM
I had the same question about eight years ago and just called ENCO tech support and they told me to use standard SAE 30 weight without the detergents. I put a servo drive on that table and it was used for several years with a 280 lb load siting on top of it, going back and forth all day. Never had any trouble with it. I'm pretty sure any good quality oil in the 20-50 weight range would work fine.

millwrong
12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
You guys may want to give this article a skim. AGMA is the source for gear tribology standards. I am now searching for Forrest's "unicorn wax" as it sounds like the one bottle answer!! http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/926/gear-oils

GBertolet
01-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know how much oil it takes to fill the 6" Phase II rotary table resovoir?

JoeLee
01-05-2013, 06:06 PM
This is the oil that the manufacturer of my Yantai table says to use.

a.Mobil-DTE oil medium
b.ESSO-Teresso 46(3)SHELL-Shell-Tellus oil 46

You could probably use olive oil !it's healthier.

JL..............

gcude
01-05-2013, 06:32 PM
I have the 8" Phase II. I don't remember how much it takes to fill it, but if your's is the horizontal/vertical, then the oil runs out onto your mill table when used in the vertical orientation, so better to have extra oil on hand to refill it. Also, those little ball oilers can be filled with the little high-pressure oiler from HF. They have a tiny tip, squeeze trigger and only cost about $5 and work perfectly for the spring-loaded ball oilers that seem to be everywhere.

aribert
01-05-2013, 11:58 PM
oh crap .. they take oil ?

I am a few days late in following this thread - apologies if it is already dead.

I have a cheap Chinese 6 inch H/V rotab bought from Wholesale tool several years ago. I looked it over today and do not see anywhere that it would be oiled unless it was dismantled. Are other rotabs different?

GBertolet
01-06-2013, 01:00 AM
I do have the vertical/horozontal rotary table. I tried putting some oil in the fill hole, while stood in the vertical position. It didn't take much, maybe a few tablespoons worth, until oil was running out from under the table. I laid the rotary table flat, and noticed the oil was up to the middle of the sight glass. Unless I did something wrong, it must not take much oil to fill. The manual that came with this table does not give much information on lubrication and maintenance. I have been looking on u-tube for detailed videos, on operation of this device, but to date have not found any satisfactory ones.

Black_Moons
01-06-2013, 01:12 AM
I used way oil. Seemed a no brainer, its super slow, it needs to slide in multiple places with no stiction, had to cling to vertical surfaces that don't get moved much... And what else am I going to do with the gallon of way oil I have?

dian
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
why dont you grease it and forget it?

kwoodhands
01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
My 4" rotary table does not take oil that I can see. Looked at the manual for it and does not mention oiling. I suppose the cheaper imports may not have oil ports.
mike