PDA

View Full Version : Diamond X Tools?

wierdscience
12-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Anybody tried any yet?

I've always known Diamond,heat and steel to be a bad combination.Wonder how long they really last?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6X8uSnP8ak

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-30-2012, 07:37 AM
In an older thread I spoke about cutting a diamond coated wheel in half and the things I tried. I 'knew' that diamodn doesn't like steel, but funny thing is that when I put about 500 RPM on the lathe for the wheel (175 mm diameter I think) and put a 25 mm diameter round steel to the tool holder and pushed it against the wheel, the result was just ground steel piece that glowed red from the end. The diamond coating? Still intact, cool and no damage. And I spent about 100 mm length of that round bar before giving up.

So without even testing the said tool, I would say that they perform just perfectly.

The wheel that have a diamond and adhesive mix (that can be reopened once clogged) might not like steel, but I don't say it for sure as I haven't had the opportunity to try.

Edit: For those interested in knowing what the diamond coated wheel didn't like was a toolpost mounted ball bearing with its outer race edge pushed against the slowly revolving diamond coated wheel. It crushed the coating from that spot I needed so that carbide tools could be used for the steel under it.

Black_Moons
12-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Seems like not many sparks comming from that diamond wheel, I wonder if its because diamond cuts that much cooler (faster?) or if its just cutting less.

Toolguy
12-30-2012, 03:15 PM
I have some diamond cutoff wheels for the Dremel tool. They make a lot less sparks than the abrasive ones, while cutting faster. Both are about 1" diameter.

drmico60
12-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Diamond has a very hgh thermal conductivity so the little chips of steel that are abraded away are at a relatively low temperature and there is then little sparking. (N.B. Sparks are just burning chips of steel.)
Mike