PDA

View Full Version : What not to do with a big round bale of hay

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Today I had a delivery of hay and straw. The round bales weigh around 1000 lbs. As I unloaded the first bale from the trailer it pulled the bale next to it off the trailer also. No big deal I thought. UNTIL the bale hit the ground and started rolling and rolling and rolling hit a decorative wagon turned and went down a stone staircased terrace garden and promply landed on the hood of a car that belonged to a friend that is visiting for a few days. The hood is crashed, the fender is smashed and the passenger door won't open. I went inside to tell the man and everyone was just sitting down to lunch. I told him and his response was, "Anyone hurt?" I told him no and he said OK we look at it after lunch. After lunch we go out and he looks and said yes it is smashed but I can drive it home. No problem. Lets go back inside and have desert! Of course I apologized and he just blew it off and said either insurance will pay or you will so no reason to get nervous. Good guy I think. His wife asked me if I could drop a few more on the car because she doesn't like the car! Now my wife was not at all so understanding of the plants and such that got run over! Go figure!

vpt
12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Can you do it again and make a video?

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 11:28 AM

My daughter said to me quietly, "Too bad you didn't have your video camera with you."

malbenbut
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Hay today gone tomorrow.
(C B)
MBB

Mcgyver
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM

that was funny. I suppose the answer is no though, the man is full and couldn't eat another bite

bborr01
12-31-2012, 12:29 PM
BF,

Bummer for you. At least no one was hurt, the rest is small stuff.

I just saw a picture in a newspaper of a lady un-winding a round bale behind her truck. There was a whole herd of cattle lined up along the trail eating it. That was the first time that I have seen them used like that.

Brian

Dr Stan
12-31-2012, 12:32 PM
My daughter said to me quietly, "Too bad you didn't have your video camera with you."

That would have made a very good YouTube addition. :)

Glad no one was hurt as stuff can be replaced. Not so easy with people & other animals.

CCWKen
12-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Who unloads hay on a hill side any way? :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/NotTooBright_zps21a2948d.jpg

jackary
12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
What a way to finish 2012, some party trick, What did you say "I'll bring the hay". Happy New Year BF hope 2013 goes smoother.
Alan

Dr Stan
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/NotTooBright_zps21a2948d.jpg

Maybe its a German thing. :rolleyes:

SteveF
12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Another "not to do" is when tipping them off the back of the truck, make sure there isn't a loop of string loose enough to put your foot into. If you make this mistake, do it on a day when the ground is wet and soft so when the bale body slams you into the pasture you remain uninjured and just think it was funny.

Sorry, no video of that either.

Steve

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Who unloads hay on a hill!!! Anyone who has too! When the big rig pulls in with the hay they park on the road that comes into our place. Then I come with the frontloader and unload the trailers. There is a slight bank leading up to the road that I must drive up to get to the trailers. The road is level but not the side where I unload from. Quite normal here. I was in a hurry and as usual when you hurry things go wrong. I am just happy that no one was standing when this bale went off the terrace. Tomorrow I will get a picture of the place.

Actually I had told the wife to ask her husband to move the car as it was not parked in our parking area but in the area in front of the house. When the bale hit the car I thought, "I told them to move the car!" Later when the husband was not with me the wife came up and thanked me for not telling her husband I had told her to have the car moved.

Willy
12-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Lucky. I'm glad it worked out well, nice to see your friend was very understanding.

When I saw the title of your thread it reminded me of an incident that happened locally a few years ago.
A man in his early 20's with a new family had a 2000 pounder of alfalfa roll off a wagon pinning him against a fence. He died at the scene. Just before Christmas as well, very tragic.

Be careful out there, life is fragile at best.

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Here is a picture of where it happened. This was just after I built the wall. The truck and trailers were parked on the road above. You can just see the slight incline up to the road. The bale fell and then rolled down over the stones onto the car that was parked there.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/mauer_3_zps338e7ffc.jpg

Mike Burdick
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm sure you did the right thing for your friend and paid for all the damages ...

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm sure you did the right thing for your friend and paid for all the damages ...

My insurance will pay for the damage. But if it didn't I of course would pay him and he knows that and is not worried about getting his money. The car will be fixed next week and I will pay the bill and the insurance will pay me. Quite simple and straightforward.

dian
12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
also happy no dogs got hurt.

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 02:44 PM
also happy no dogs got hurt.

I am sure my Border Collies would be smart and quick enough to get out of the way. Not so sure about some of the people visiting this holiday!

uncle pete
12-31-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm impressed with those steps or terraces and the wall. That takes a fair amount of skill and a lot more time than most would think.

Pete

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm impressed with those steps or terraces and the wall. That takes a fair amount of skill and a lot more time than most would think.

Pete

Yes Pete it took me a long time to build it to my liking. I tore it down three times before I was happy with the result. I had/have no experience doing anything like that so I figured, How hard could it be!

It was much harder than I thought it would be. But being the stubborn guy that I am I persevered and got it done. It took me quite a long time. My wife really had her doubts that it would turn out OK. Now she thinks it is great.

Yow Ling
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Next year order square bales, rounds not so popular here now

Black Forest
12-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't know the percentage but here it is nearly all round bales. Not too many small rectangular bales and not too many big packs. More straw is put up in packs than hay.

uncle pete
12-31-2012, 04:11 PM
BF,
Sorry about throwing your thread OT a bit.
Yeah I really think every single operator has to learn just what you did for themselves. Without actually doing it, it all does look real simple and it should go real quick, right? And there's a lot of screwing around with trying some nuggets in different positions till they fit or you find another that will. Those hydraulic thumbs are a life saver on work like this. I've seen some rock walls built with a hoe since I did my first one that made me feel very humble.

Pete

alanganes
12-31-2012, 04:34 PM

Well, the guy's wife DID ask you to drop another one on the car...

MrSleepy
12-31-2012, 06:57 PM
They can be pretty dangerous...a founder member of ELO was killed by one recently..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229854/Mike-Edwards-Founding-member-ELO-killed-falling-half-ton-hay-bale.html

+ or - Zero
12-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes Pete it took me a long time to build it to my liking. I tore it down three times before I was happy with the result. I had/have no experience doing anything like that so I figured, How hard could it be!

It was much harder than I thought it would be. But being the stubborn guy that I am I persevered and got it done. It took me quite a long time. My wife really had her doubts that it would turn out OK. Now she thinks it is great.

Except for the car crushing aspect, right?

mike4
12-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Didnt you tell your wife that you were putting mulch on her plants?
Michael

Oldbrock
12-31-2012, 10:23 PM
I was waiting for John to jump in with "Clumsy Basket" or words to that effect. Must be on holiday. Sure glad no one got in the way. HAPPY NEW YEAR. Peter

The Artful Bodger
12-31-2012, 11:25 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yWEyPv7fm-w/SaiYQdYMK8I/AAAAAAAAEeM/QuLRyfptyrU/s400/WellStreetscapeNZ.jpg

Reminded me of a time when a truck lost its load of newsprint rolls on Boulcott Street, Wellington, NZ.

(Not my picture, the church is vertical!)

boslab
01-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Big nasty bales, and i like bale spikes on the front of dity big Clase tractors even less!, theres a road junction outside my house thats uphill, the number of tractors with spikes low to pull out is frightening, an accident waiting to happen, glad no casualties, a definite happy new year as if there was you would end up in a cell!
all the best
mark

Black Forest
01-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Big nasty bales, and i like bale spikes on the front of dity big Clase tractors even less!, theres a road junction outside my house thats uphill, the number of tractors with spikes low to pull out is frightening, an accident waiting to happen, glad no casualties, a definite happy new year as if there was you would end up in a cell!
all the best
mark

Had a bit of Holiday cheer I think!

Black Forest
01-01-2013, 06:31 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yWEyPv7fm-w/SaiYQdYMK8I/AAAAAAAAEeM/QuLRyfptyrU/s400/WellStreetscapeNZ.jpg

Reminded me of a time when a truck lost its load of newsprint rolls on Boulcott Street, Wellington, NZ.

(Not my picture, the church is vertical!)

Is that the leaning church of Pissa?

The Artful Bodger
01-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Nah, its just the way we build around here..
http://wso.williams.edu/~ksee/nz/pics/BaldwinStreetIsSteep2.jpg

bborr01
01-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Mostly up here in Michigan I see round bales for hay and a mix of round and square for straw. But I have seen some square bales of hay in some fields near me that are rather hilly. Never gave it a thought that maybe they use square ones because the round ones might roll away.

It never ceases to amaze me the things that I learn from reading this forum.

Brian

john11668
01-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I once remember watching contractors round baling in a hillside field
A fair proportion of the bales ended up by the hedge at the bottom of the field (convenient) but some actually jumped the hedge and did not even stop when they reached the next hedge!

I have a customer who spent nearly a year with his head clamped in a frame as a result of an incident with one.
He was lucky to live to tell the tale !

Last week I found my single track country road blocked as a farmer unloaded a truck and trailer both filled three bales high.
No Mechanical assistance , just hand balled them off onto the verges , and sent the vehicle on its way.
Fortunately the other way round was just four miles .

The people who handle these things seem to have no proper training (or consideration!)

rkepler
01-01-2013, 05:55 PM

I know it's kinda hard for a central Texas feller to understand, but some folks live in places where it's just not flat. Really. Some of the southwest Texas fellers understand about hills and such as they've got some, but they apparently don't share the understanding with you central Texas fellers. Likely those hill country fellers use square bales. I think they use octagonal or hexagonal bales in Austin, being that they're next to hill county but still kinda flat in those parts.

Black Forest
01-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Yesterday was a day for close calls for me. First the hay bale incident and then last night at midnight we went up to the end of our driveway at the road and do as we do every year and light off fireworks. Little ones and big ones. So me and about 30 of my quests are having a grand ole time when I look across the street and see a rocket that sticks into the ground and then you light it fall over after it was lit. It points straight at me and a young lady standing next to me. I grabbed her by the shoulders and spun her around out of the way just as the rocket roared by us. No one was hurt but it sure was close. That rocket went by at waist height not a foot away from me. First time in many many years anything ever happened. I am just glad I was keeping an eye on what was going on. Sure was glad that I don't drink alcohol and had my wits and reactions intact!

Dr Stan
01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
BF,

Sounds like you need to buy a lottery ticket. :)

Stan

sasquatch
01-01-2013, 08:59 PM
One part of my area has a bit of farming.

Quite a few round bales,, BUT LOTS of small square bales sold as horse feed. This area has had a HUGE influx of horses over the past ten years, first 22 Amish families moved into a new settlement started here, then hundreds of girls started buying riding horses, we have about 8 large riding arenas now, built over the past 5 years.
Small squares -55lbs, run about $3.00 a bale.