PDA

View Full Version : Not completely OT: Clever mechanism

browne92
01-01-2013, 01:13 AM
tom in nh's query for automata reminded me of this. I've always been interested in pinball and arcade machines, and recently gotten interested in the very old ones. This video is about a 1934 coin-op game. No electricity, no power. There was a lever you had to push to bring the next ball up. That wound up a spring in the 'baseball diamond' mechanism. It's only source of power.

Ingenious bastard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNRCYoBXE4

A.K. Boomer
01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Very cool, Just wished he would have flipped the lid so we could really see what was going on,,,

I bet that machine is worth some big bucks, only thing really lacking is it's all up to fate - there's no player input (flippers) to try and control things so no skills required, my how things have changed - wow.

gizmo2
01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Extremely entertaining, just to watch it. Love how the ball makes a loop first before it enters the pins.

browne92
01-01-2013, 01:19 PM
A.K., if you go to the web site of the man that made the video, there is a more detailed description of how things work, and some pictures of the mechanisms.

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/coinop/games/worldseries/index.html

The thing even had a Tilt mechanism, which would end your game if you got too rough with it.

Ron of Va
01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Here is some more photos of how it works.
http://www.audihere.com/ws2/
I would love to have one.

Paul Alciatore
01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I beg to differ. Notice that the spring plunger that starts the ball has a calibrated scale. And you can nudge it. Hence, the tilt mechanism to prevent damage to the machine by over zealous players. I would bet that the ones who played it often used these features to greatly improve their scores.

Of course it took a LOT of practice and, not coincidentally, a lot of coins. Very clever mechanism indeed.

Very cool, Just wished he would have flipped the lid so we could really see what was going on,,,

I bet that machine is worth some big bucks, only thing really lacking is it's all up to fate - there's no player input (flippers) to try and control things so no skills required, my how things have changed - wow.

A.K. Boomer
01-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Don't get me wrong - that unit is a marvel, thanks for posting the internals as they are actually far less complicated than I would have guessed - or let me state that a different way, the engineers of yesteryear had a way of making them look that way,
I help my SIL restore old antique mechanisms from everything from mantel clocks to old antique cash registers, im convinced some of the very best engineering minds have already came and gone as I can't believe what some of these people came up with.

as far as the difficulty level of the game it's just perspective that's all - now there are dozens of different ways to change your score VS just one of a simple metered pull of the launcher...

but to have a self contained "self propelled" game that winds up some of its components whilst launching the play ball is just plain cool no matter what era your talking...

Last but not least and depending on how finicky the tilt mechanism is there still is the potential for being involved long after the launch is made and it is in the form of before/during every time the playball is about to or comes in contact with a pin or object... of course this can lead to allot of horsing around and by the looks of those legs im thinking the tilt was set pretty finicky...

browne92
01-02-2013, 12:48 AM
but to have a self contained "self propelled" game that winds up some of its components whilst launching the play ball is just plain cool no matter what era your talking...

That's what got me interested in old coin-op arcade machines and pinballs. What guys like D. Gottlieb, Ray Maloney (founder of the pinball and now gaming giant Bally), and David Rockola (No! Really! That was his name!) did with mechanics and no electricity. And reached the level of complexity that they did! Amazing to me.