PDA

View Full Version : what to do with large precision bearing

dian
01-01-2013, 03:15 PM
so, i happen to own a 7024A5TSULP4.

i tried to sell it on ebay for months, while others asked up to 1000 bucks, i had no takers for 300.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/romandian/x125_zpsb622a78d.jpg

is there anything intelligent, i can do with it? any ideas?

last night, after having drunk too much, i have been dreaming of a cat head and preloading the bearing with several smaller ones. but when i woke up, the concept was gone.

any ideas?

GNM109
01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Tram your mill with it?

Dr Stan
01-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Tram your mill with it?

Now that's a good idea. I have several monster sized bearings I picked up along with the 2 pillow block bearings I was after at an estate sale/auction.

GNM109
01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by GNM109
Tram your mill with it?

Now that's a good idea. I have several monster sized bearings I picked up along with the 2 pillow block bearings I was after at an estate sale/auction.

The large bearings are great for us home machinist types because they are incredibly well made. I didn't have a bearing but I got a spare front brake rotor for a Dodge Dakota that I bought for a repair but turned out not to be needed. I decided to keep it. I roughed out a piece of aluminum to hold a 1/2" shaft for the spindle end and a 1/4" hole for my old Federal .0005 indicator with set screws. It rides on the rotor and does a good job. I've also used my DTI and my coax at various times.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/gnm109/Machinery/MillTramTool002.jpg

oldtiffie
01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=7024A5TSULP4&pf=p&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&oq=7024A5TSULP4&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dGY&fp=def9f3f538eb70d&bpcl=40096503&biw=1920&bih=818

Mcgyver
01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
have there been any completed sales? What do they sell new for, what do they sell OEM for? (can be 1/4 of retail)

If others are asking 1000 and that number passes the smell test, ask say 800. On less common items its a matter of having your listing up constantly until some comes along searching for that item. If no one's in the market that week doesn't matter if its 1000, 800 or 50. Might take a lot months but that money will be a lot of tools vs say making a rotating welding table.

Willy
01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Perhaps do a bit of research and see if you can find what applications the bearing was originally intended for. Once you know that you may be able to focus your sales attempts at a more receptive market that is more willing to spend the money for a spare part that they normally would not buy.
It could be a good deal for both you and the purchaser.

j king
01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
That would make a dandy bearing steady!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/ikimjing/my%20stuff/Picture003.jpg

Sun God
01-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Yep, +1 for JKing's suggestion. That exact image was the first thing to come to mind.

J Tiers
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
That would make a dandy bearing steady!

I don't think it would.......

Aren't those mostly made with either TWO bearings, OR a double row...... the single row are kinda unstable.

I had a double row version which I foolishly gave to the father-in-law (he was doing gun work then), and then he went and sold it with another lathe..... so now I can't borrow it when I need it.

Rather than being a full self-standing one, it fit in the existing steady

oxford
01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Not to thread jack, but what kind of advantages does that single bearing steady have over a regular steady with bearings on the ends of the fingers.

TexasTurnado
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Since you have a 7000 series bearing, it is an angular contact bearing and requires another bearing of equal precision so they can preload each other. Most times this is done with another bearing of the same size, but then the bearings are marked with a DUL (for dual or pair, or TUL for three, or QUL for four) instead of SUL (single bearing) in the part no. Apparently the orginal application of your bearing used a different size bearing to preload it, or some other means of obtaining the required preload.

Preload is necessary with these bearings to take up all internal clearances, so as to obtain the very low rated runout and thrust specs.

Whether of not the bearing is new will have a big impact on the value of the bearing - is yours in a factory sealed pouch? It is all too easy for someone to replace a bearing and then put the old one in the box the new one came in (logical choice to keep it clean or protect it from damage). But someone else may later obtain the bearing, look at it, and decide it is new. For this reason, it is very hard to know if a bearing from someone selling it on a place like ebay is truly a new bearing or not unless it is in a factory sealed pouch - and it does not come with any sort of guarantee like one purchased from a first line distributor.

Normally, there is a large cost associated with replacing bearings like this, so the buyer is less likely to take a chance of a bearing of unknown origin, which impacts the resale value....

And then, particulary on ebay, the vast majority of buyers have no clue what your bearing is anyway.... :D

j king
01-01-2013, 08:37 PM
"Not to thread jack, but what kind of advantages does that single bearing steady have over a regular steady with bearings on the ends of the fingers."

You can run it on something with a key way,out of round,soft ,tapered,polished,square bar ect...... Jim

macona
01-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Start it for $10 and let it sell for what it does. No since ruining it using it to tram a mill or something. Thats a job for an old bearing, not a new one.

oxford
01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
You can run it on something with a key way,out of round,soft ,tapered,polished,square bar ect...... Jim

That makes sense, thanks. I was thinking in the box.

vpt
01-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Rotary table.

A.K. Boomer
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Maybe time to build that merry go round youv always been wanting...

revolving door for the bathroom for those suffering with IBS...

the possibilities are endless...

dian
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
i have given up the hope to sell it, in all those months none of the bearings sold.

it definitely needs preload, so even a rotary table would be difficult (i have two already). even if ist "worthless" i dont want to waste it on weird stuff. cat head is still my favourite.

so, how do i do it? how do i attach the inner part? press fit, locktite or screws from the back? maybe all of those? how do i preload it? my idea being a large pipe with tailsock preassure on the outer race.

but beside being an awkward contraption, would it be safe?

(of course it would be attached to the ways.)

lakeside53
01-02-2013, 01:15 PM
You need to preload it for sure, and not just with the tailstock - make it so the preload captures the bearing at all times. If not you'll push it apart with relatively low pressure from the "wrong side".

For the inner sleeve - Just a very light press or hand fit is fine.

A.K. Boomer
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
A merry go round will pre-load it - so will a revolving bathroom door - use gravity as your pre-load component...

Paul Alciatore
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
How well did you describe it on E-bay? Complete specs of just a rough description? And what key words did you include?

I have seen some really poor descriptions on E-bay. Perhaps your auctions managed to avoid the search engines. You need to think in the same terms as a potential buyer who would pay big bucks.

I would be glad to take it for $15.

Denny98501
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
so, i happen to own a 7024A5TSULP4.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/romandian/x125_zpsb622a78d.jpg

is there anything intelligent, i can do with it? any ideas?

any ideas?

I happen to own a couple hundred of them.
Or at least of something similar.
About 8 inches in diameter.
A friend took a couple of them and sold one on Ebay for $40.
Another friend used two for a large telescope trunnion.
A few others provide rotational motion in kid's playground equipment.
Right now, they are holding down one of my shelves.

Keep the ideas coming.
Best idea will find one in the mail.
Second best idea gets two.

Black_Moons
01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Iv been wanting to hook up a vacuum to my lathe headstock for throughhole boring.
Almost done boring out the bearing holder I made a few years ago...

Lets see. other ideas.. Put a tire on em, put em around your foot and ride em? Im sure iv seen a toy like that.

Buy/build a vault door for your front door? Might want to have some kinda hydraulic assist, mind you.

lakeside53
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Hmmmm.. it is a P4, so buy another and build a lathe with a decent though spindle hole!

darryl
01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
I often have need to make a circular slot in something. It might have a radius of 1/2 inch, or it might be 4 inches. Having a sort of poor mans rotary table would make this a lot easier than it is now for me. I'm thinking of having a plate about 10 inches or so diameter, mounted on a bearing, and having a handle so I can control the rotation manually. A pair of those bearings would make a pretty solid, low profile rotating vise to hold the parts.

lakeside53
01-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Or... a heck of a radius/ball attachment for a lathe!

Blazemaster83
01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
They would make a nice glass lathe. I think it would take 4 of them. Glass lathes require a large through hole on headstock and tailstock. I have been wanting to build one for years. Here are some pics of a nice lathe

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/blazemaster83/Toolage/glasslathe_zps699060c7.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/blazemaster83/Toolage/glassspindle_zps92bfd82d.jpg

johnnyd
01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
With a bearing that size, you could make a very nice "lazy susan" for your welding bench.
(just be sure to isolate the bearing so that you don't "weld" it also)

Combine a bearing that size with an old bowling ball, & you've got a good start towards an engravers ball.

Might be able to make a swivel base for a small shop crane out of one.

Lots of posibilities.

macona
01-03-2013, 01:55 AM
I happen to own a couple hundred of them.
Or at least of something similar.
About 8 inches in diameter.
A friend took a couple of them and sold one on Ebay for $40.
Another friend used two for a large telescope trunnion.
Right now, they are holding down one of my shelves.

Keep the ideas coming.
Best idea will find one in the mail.
Second best idea gets two.

Thats funny. As soon as I read you had a bunch of them I immediately thought "glass lathe"

And then Blazemaster83 posts exactly what I was thinking.

It depends on exactly what kind of bearing it is. If it is an angular contact like the OP then you must have a pair. A single bearing is useless. If you have standard radials or pairs of ACs then you can do lots of things like building motion control camera rigs and stuff.

vpt
01-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Machine skates

Ash try

Wheel pads for an alignment rack

line shaft

Huge bull nose

pivot for a crane

MrFluffy
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
+1 for the Welders rotary table (but that's jonnyd's lazy susan idea). Big bearing, two slabs of steel or cast iron to form the table and base and some spindle between the two to let you preload it a bit and carry some copper braid to provide a better earth path than the bearing so it doesn't get welded (maybe you could have a very thin sheet of suitable isolator between the bearing outer and its housing to make sure).

A.K. Boomer
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Yes, I do believe that would be called a merry go round,

now - if someone would just step up to the plate and admit they built a revolving bathroom door...

another idea - a tree fort that hangs from and uses the bearing as a pivot - the fort has a massive tail on it so the wind direction dictates your view and you always have a different one... very cool - and the only way to get up and down is with a rope ladder... the kind that you can reel back inside when your up there so no-one else can attack you...

dian
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
hm, couple of hundred, i understand they are around 1500$ retail. rich guy! before i use it for a rotary pad for my tv set, im still dreaming to do something usefull with it.

"You need to preload it for sure, and not just with the tailstock - make it so the preload captures the bearing at all times. If not you'll push it apart with relatively low pressure from the "wrong side"."

exactly, but how to do it? what about preloading it with several small bearings pressing radially on one of the races in the axial direction? would that work (in a oil bath)?

lakeside53
01-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Difficult to make work as you have to press on the inner race, and you need a sleeve in place for work holding. I'd toss it on the shelf until you find another for free, or swap it for something more useful - surely someone else wants to admire it for a while? ;)

The Artful Bodger
01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Make one of these?
http://cdn1.images.videobash.com/photos/000/019/759/19759.jpg

Ed.
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Polish it up and mount it on a stand as an art piece. I saw one of these mounted vertically on a fancy stand once with a price tag of several thousand dollars, don't know it sold but it sure appealed to me although I would never pay that sort of money for "Art".

Richard King
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi guys, There is a company that buys bearings. Baker Bearing, http://www.bakerbearing.com/. When Midwestern Machinery in Mpls Closed after being in business for 60 years, they had hundred of new but old bearings in the crib they called Baker and they bought the inventory. They have several offices around the country. Baker only sells to retail bearing houses. If you have ever bought a bearing and it comes in a generic box ..say the bearing is a SKF but he box it comes in does not have SKF on it, It probably came from Baker as they sometimes clean it and re-package it.