PDA

View Full Version : disapointed in Bosch

Dr Stan
01-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Well its almost time to replace my well used Bosch 3/8" 18 V drill driver. I paid a premium for it, but its served me well so I was looking to replace it with a similar unit from Bosch. Went to the local Menards DIY store as they had a 20% off everything that fits in the bag sale and was planning on buying another Bosch. My current unit was made in Switzerland and has seen lots of use, especially when I was building my shop.

Well guess what. Just like Milwaukee, DeWalt, and almost all the others the bean counters are chasing the lowest wages and moved manufacturing to Malaysia. :( Frankly I'm sick & tired of paying $100/$150 for a drill driver that only lasts a year. That's why I switched from Ryobi/Craftsman to Bosch.

So I'm seriously considering a Metabo 602141520 SB18 LT Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drill Driver for $250. I know their grinders are unbeatable. Anyone have any experience with their drill/drivers? Anyone have any other recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks,

Stan

oldtiffie
01-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Thereis a lot of good stuff made in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Bosch has (and always has) two grades of tools - ones for the DIY-er and the other for the "trade" and "industrial" with costs and quality accordingly.

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/955.htm

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=bosch+power+tools&rlz=1R2IRFC_enAU360&oq=bosch&gs_l=hp.1.2.0l4.2413.3976.0.7628.5.5.0.0.0.0.293.1 426.2-5.5.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1._kTUMddS3K8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dGY&fp=def9f3f538eb70d&bpcl=40096503&biw=1920&bih=818

Alistair Hosie
01-01-2013, 03:57 PM
I bought my son a metabo quite reasonably mint condition used as new on ebay and it is a beauty so keep your eyes open for a good used as new one for half price or thereabouts. Alistair

goodscrap
01-01-2013, 04:04 PM
i use a Makita, it's been absolutely brilliant, took no end of stick building my house and still going strong.

Brian

Bob Fisher
01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I bought a Ridgid 1/2 drill driver from HD when the "lifetime guarantee" was offered. Paid a premium for it for that reason. ($200). But if you ever bought replacement batteries, free replacements seemed a good deal. My drill is currently in for repair and another set of batteries. I think I made a good deal this time. The lifetime guarantee is no longer offered, wonder why? The drill is a beast,435 in lbs torque, but the trigger seems to be a weak spot. Second time in for repair, but four free batteries makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Bob.

Black_Moons
01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Lithium ion has pros and cons.
Pro: It will last 2~5 years reguardless of how its treated, as long as its kept reasonabley charged
Con: It will last 2~5 years reguardless of how its treated.

Nicad will last <2 years if not fully discharged once a month.
Nicad will last 5~20 years if fully discharged once a month and never left in the charger past charged.

Hence: Lithium is great for 'homeowners', Lithium is crap for 'Homebuilders'

Ron of Va
01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Well not to steer you in a different direction, but………

I recommend that you buy the Ridgid brand from Home Depot. They had a special about a month ago where you buy their 18v lithium ion drill driver, and get the impact driver free as a combo kit. It came with two batteries and a charger along with a carrying case. I think the combo kit is item# R9600. I got the combo kit for $179 but now they cost $199.

If you cut the bar code off the box, fill out the paperwork, and send in the receipt, you will get a lifetime warranty on everything. That includes batteries.

I already had their drill driver and two batteries I bought in 2007. I have tested their warranty three times on new batteries and it holds up.

I recommended the drill to my sister to buy for her husband. She didn’t jump through the hoops as required. When she had a problem, she called about the lifetime warranty. They told her she was SOL. She was her normal self, she bitched and moaned and went up the chain of command and finally bullied them into giving her the lifetime warranty. But I wouldn’t try that if I were you. Guys are rarely that lucky.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203266851/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=r9600&storeId=10051#.UONP_az4KSo

Bob, I bought my combo kit in October and got the lifetime warranty. Read the description section of the link I posted. "Backed with the Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement. Free Batteries. Free Parts. Free Service. For Life."

bborr01
01-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Stan,

I have the 18volt DeWalt tools and am very satisfied with them. When I bought the first ones, it was a 4 pc. set with a drill, sawzall, circ. saw, light, charger and 2 batteries. Then I added the radio/charger unit. Then the vacuum and probably a couple others if I though about it a little longer. I have 5 good batteries and keep them in rotation so they all get used the same, which works well. A friend who has a ryobi 18 volt kit used my dewalt drill and told me it was a lot more drill than the ryobi.

I recently bought some used drills to use on the knees of my mills at a real reasonable price. The nice thing is that there are so many tools that all use the same battery pack. The battery packs last a long time on a charge. They are a little heavy but if that is a problem, they also have the lithium ion tools. I have a li-ion drill set and it is quite a bit lighter than it's ni-cad counterpart.

Also, in ten years of use I have yet to break anything on any of them or burn any of them out. Good luck in your search.

Brian

Dr Stan
01-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Well I guess I need to contact sales @ CPO Tools tomorrow and find out just what version of Bosch they carry. Maybe I'll stay with them. I've looked at the Ridgid at HD and the warranty is tempting, but I just was not sold on the brand. Just checked and the nearest Ridgid service center is 40 miles away so that's not very convenient especially as there is a Bosch authorized service center here in town.

Guess this calls for some more research & cogitation.

Beazld
01-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I am a rep for Metabo power tools. Metabo has a 1 year warranty out of the box. If you go on line and register the tool you get 2 additional years of warranty for a total of 3 years. Metabo now has the only 4.0 amp hour lithium batteries on the market. The batteries and chargers are covered under the warranty. They will be Replaced if they fail to take a charge, hold a charge or if the charger fails within the warranty period. There is no prorating for the batteries or chargers they will be replaced. Metabo has a patented process in the chargers that balances and charges each cell individualally in the battery, along with a fan that blows air thru the battery as it charges. As I said I am a rep for the company so I am somewhat biased but you will not be dissapointed by Metabo products. Metabo also has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on their products. They are not available thru the big boxes but there are some on line vendors. I would advise you to contact a local distributor in your area so you also get their professional support. As you know from their grinders, Metabo is a high quality tool built for professionals.

Black Forest
01-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I have bosch, metabo and aeg drills. The AEG are by far the best of the three. I have one battery AEG and on hammer drill heavy duty. Both are great tools but not cheap.

Ries
01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
I have been buying Bosch tools from the CPO store, both new and rebuilt, for close to 20 years now. Maybe I was just born lucky, but every one of the fifteen or twenty bosch tools I own was made in either Germany or Switzerland, including ones purchased as recently as last year.

I dont ever buy any power tools from a big box store.
They tend to have cheaper versions made more poorly, even when its a brand name.

AEG is great stuff. But they have a very limited line in the USA- currently a grand total of FIVE power tools, none of them a cordless drill.

Ron of Va
01-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Well I guess I need to contact sales @ CPO Tools tomorrow and find out just what version of Bosch they carry. Maybe I'll stay with them. I've looked at the Ridgid at HD and the warranty is tempting, but I just was not sold on the brand. Just checked and the nearest Ridgid service center is 40 miles away so that's not very convenient especially as there is a Bosch authorized service center here in town.

Guess this calls for some more research & cogitation.
With Ridgid, yes you have to carry it to the service center; I donít think mailing it in is permitted. Once you drop them off, (batteries) and they review your paperwork, they will mail a new one back to you in about 10 days.

If not sure about the tool, I recommend you read the reviews.

Dr Stan
01-01-2013, 07:15 PM
At this point if I buy a new drill/driver its going to be either stay with Bosch if I can get either German or Swiss made from CPO, or switch to Metabo. Another option is to take my spare Bosch that needs a new chuck & reversing plunger (just the plunger not the actual switch) to the local Bosch authorized facility to see just how much it would cost to have it repaired. One factor is that I have 4 Bosch 18V Bluecore batteries that work just fine. Would not like to just scrap them.

J Tiers
01-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Many of the "big box" DIY stores have crap specially made for them...... and I DO mean crap......

I know HD has that, the same *looking* thing from HD vs a "real" dealer will often have totally different inside parts..... And totally different prices as well. The HD item will be much lower price, and will be built that way.

menards may do the same, I am not sure that Lowe's does it as much.

caveBob
01-01-2013, 09:25 PM
At this point if I buy a new drill/driver its going to be either stay with Bosch if I can get either German or Swiss made from CPO, or switch to Metabo. Another option is to take my spare Bosch that needs a new chuck & reversing plunger (just the plunger not the actual switch) to the local Bosch authorized facility to see just how much it would cost to have it repaired. One factor is that I have 4 Bosch 18V Bluecore batteries that work just fine. Would not like to just scrap them.

Especially the bolden parts, I did hear you... but... :) a little over a year ago I was on the hunt for my first cordless drill but wanted a 1/2" chuck. Went to Lowes to check out the Bosch I had pretty much picked out. Then the sales guy told me about this Hitachi that was on sale... was like $179, included the hard case, a flashlight that works off of the batteries (never once used it), and a spare battery. Didn't care about the case or light... how did it feel in the hand?... Went home with it and love it, man does it have some torque and I love the keyless chuck!

2cents...

Hitachi 18-Volt 1/2-in Cordless Lithium-ion Compact Pro Drill/Driver - $139.00
http://www.lowes.com/pd_300255-67702-DS18DSAL_0__?productId=1243875&Ntt=hitachi+18-volt+1%2F2-in+cordless+drill

Dr Stan
01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Hitachi 18-Volt 1/2-in Cordless Lithium-ion Compact Pro Drill/Driver - $139.00

Looked at the very same model at Menards and left it on the shelf.

macona
01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Looked at the very same model at Menards and left it on the shelf.

Hitachi makes some great stuff. I have one of their 3/8" corded drills. I can not stop it. In fact, I put a 1/2" chuck on it and use it as that.

As for the Bosch made in Malaysia thing, they have been doing that for a long time on their cheaper stuff. I have one of the little Bosh Impactor drivers. Absolutely wonderful little tool, the thing will drive 1/2" lags through a 2x4. All in something that looks like a Phaser from star trek. It is made in Malaysia and i have had no issues with it, it is built just as well as a drill from germany.

oldtiffie
01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
As I've said previously, I have only one very good battery drill - therest went into the bin as soonas the batteries faded (out). Some were very good when new and for quite a while after.

Battery drills are not as powerful as mains-powered drills, are heavier and bulky to use and the battery gives out when you least need it to.

Powered drills are only as far away as an extension cord from a power outlet and size for size (the better ones) have a lot more "grunt" and life in them. Extension leads should cover most contingencies.

Beyond that I power my power tools with a 2KW Honda gen-set - 20Kg (~45 pounds) which takes all I give it with ease.

Try getting this much power from a battery drill:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Med_Speed_Spindles/Proxxon_mill3.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Med_Speed_Spindles/Proxxon_mill2.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Med_Speed_Spindles/Metabo_drill3.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Med_Speed_Spindles/Metabo_drill2.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Med_Speed_Spindles/Metabo_drill1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Med_Speed_Spindles/Metabo_drill3.jpg

Timleech
01-02-2013, 04:42 AM
I've got a number of Metabo tools, both corded and cordless. Some are truly excellent, some less so. Watch out for the grinders with a thumb switch on the back, those switches are a pain.
I've got an SB 18 LT drill, non-hammer, which is a brilliant tool, very powerful but controllable, although the chuck has more or less failed (gone very stiff). It's not the first Metabo chuck to let me down, but I would buy another drill of that model if I needed to.

Tim

oldtiffie
01-02-2013, 05:53 AM
I've had/got quite a few "Trade" quality/level Bosch tools - including a USA-made 10" mitre saw which has been fabulous. All those "Trade" tools are as good as when I bought them - including a great very versatile jig saw and a sawzall type tool too. All other than the mitre saw were made in Germany.

The DIY-er quality when heavily used are best forgotten in many but not all cases.

Dunc
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Got a mix of DeWalt, Bosch, Metabo, both corded & battery. Most second hand (garage sale, pawn shop) but some factory outlet reconditioned. Not a pro but they have been used frequently. Can't say I have a brand favorite... if the price is right and it works...

Mcgyver
01-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Nicad will last <2 years if not fully discharged once a month.
Nicad will last 5~20 years if fully discharged once a month and never left in the charger past charged.

if this is true, it would seem to be reletively childs play for them to provide a charger that did this??

tylernt
01-02-2013, 10:09 AM
if this is true, it would seem to be reletively childs play for them to provide a charger that did this??

Yeah, but, then they would sell fewer replacement batteries.

bborr01
01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Stan,

I have the 18volt DeWalt tools and am very satisfied with them. When I bought the first ones, it was a 4 pc. set with a drill, sawzall, circ. saw, light, charger and 2 batteries. Then I added the radio/charger unit. Then the vacuum and probably a couple others if I though about it a little longer. I have 5 good batteries and keep them in rotation so they all get used the same, which works well. A friend who has a ryobi 18 volt kit used my dewalt drill and told me it was a lot more drill than the ryobi.

I recently bought some used drills to use on the knees of my mills at a real reasonable price. The nice thing is that there are so many tools that all use the same battery pack. The battery packs last a long time on a charge. They are a little heavy but if that is a problem, they also have the lithium ion tools. I have a li-ion drill set and it is quite a bit lighter than it's ni-cad counterpart.

Also, in ten years of use I have yet to break anything on any of them or burn any of them out. Good luck in your search.

Brian

Stan,

I kind of feel like I spent 10 minuted typing my reply for nothing. Do you have something against Matt Kenseth or something? Honestly, I have run into people that will not buy something because they don't like the person endorsing it.

At least I tried to help.

Brian

Timleech
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
I have bosch, metabo and aeg drills. The AEG are by far the best of the three. I have one battery AEG and on hammer drill heavy duty. Both are great tools but not cheap.

Aren't AEG and Milwaukee one and the same now?
I've got an AEG sheet metal shear, not all that old. Armature failed & spares no longer available.

Tim

Dr Stan
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Stan,

I kind of feel like I spent 10 minuted typing my reply for nothing. Do you have something against Matt Kenseth or something? Honestly, I have run into people that will not buy something because they don't like the person endorsing it.

At least I tried to help.

Brian

I have no idea what you are referring to.

Black Forest
01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
All those "Trade" tools are as good as when I bought them - including a great very versatile jig saw and a sawzall type tool too. All other than the mitre saw were made in Germany.

Of course they are as good as new Old Stiffie, They will be in 20 more years also because you don't use your tools!!!!!

Sir John, I thought I would save you the trouble!!!

Alistair Hosie
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I personally have dewalt and makita as i changed all my tools to new dewalts after buying the 18v nailgun (it comes with three batteries and charger fantastic tool)which my son has on personal long term loan :rolleyes: I don't mind as he has no shop.anyway I cant fault the dewalt and makita stuff the metabo I bought as it was such a good deal. Alistair

uncle pete
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I can only use my own experience. I got an 18 v Craft/Crapsman drill one year for Christmas. I literally killed it in just less than one year with the internal mechanical's almost blowing their guts out. Yeah I could have gotten a replacement for free, Why? It was obvious crap to start with. And I have no real idea who actually builds it for Sears to slap their brand on it. I then went and bought a Dewalt 18v, and I can say it's done at least 4-5 times the work the Crapsman did, and it still looks and operates like brand new. I've easily driven at least 10,000 deck screws with it from 1 1/2" - 4" long. I don't use nails, I judge a tool by the idea of if I'd buy another at the same price. I sure as hell would with this one. I don't like buying tools built in China either. Sometimes you have no choice. I also can't quite understand just why Dewalt gets the bad rap it seems to by some. I buy only their top of the line equipment and have yet to ever have a failure. I've probably got more than 4 grand tied up in Dewalt tools. They have all done everything I've ever asked or expected from them.

Pete

Beazld
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Aren't AEG and Milwaukee one and the same now?

Tim
both brands owned by TTI. Also build some Ridgid branded power tools along with Ryobi.

Black_Moons
01-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Sadly, the chargers are built to 'trickle' charge the batterys when left in, to keep them fully charged.

This destorys em really quick when forgotten for days/weeks by slowly overcharging the battery.

There are a few chargers that also recondition batteries, but they are more the higher end industrial units that can charge a small fleet of nicads, and you have to look for the ones with recondition features.

*NEVER* buy something with a '10 hour' nicad charger, as that means it just trickle charges the nicad with ABSOLUTELY NO SHUTOFF CIRCUITY. Meaning you have no idea if its fully charged or been overcharging since hour 2.

Good Nicad chargers should be around 30 mins to 1 1/2 hours. This requires proper circuity to do safely, Although its no guarentee they don't still trickle charge after full charge, they usally trickle charge at a much lower level.

Dr Stan
01-02-2013, 08:56 PM
I can only use my own experience. I got an 18 v Craft/Crapsman drill one year for Christmas. I literally killed it in just less than one year with the internal mechanical's almost blowing their guts out. Yeah I could have gotten a replacement for free, Why? It was obvious crap to start with. And I have no real idea who actually builds it for Sears to slap their brand on it. I then went and bought a Dewalt 18v, and I can say it's done at least 4-5 times the work the Crapsman did, and it still looks and operates like brand new. I've easily driven at least 10,000 deck screws with it from 1 1/2" - 4" long. I don't use nails, I judge a tool by the idea of if I'd buy another at the same price. I sure as hell would with this one. I don't like buying tools built in China either. Sometimes you have no choice. I also can't quite understand just why Dewalt gets the bad rap it seems to by some. I buy only their top of the line equipment and have yet to ever have a failure. I've probably got more than 4 grand tied up in Dewalt tools. They have all done everything I've ever asked or expected from them.

Pete

You had the exact same experience I had with Craftsman ,or as I now call it Crapsman. They're built by Ryobi and not worth the time to repair or replace. BTW, I checked the DeWalts in our maintenance shop, industrial grade purchased through Grainger. All built in Mexico, but as you said they hold up.

uncle pete
01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Stan,
I'm positive Dewalt has two levels of power tools, and both are the same colour and look almost the same quality. Most of our spanner jockeys at the mine bought and use Dewalt. After talking with them for their opinions, it didn't seem worth taking a chance trying anything else in my opinion. They may not be the worlds best, but your right, they will stand up. But you do have to buy the high priced stuff.

When I was a kid my dad always told me to buy Craftsman. Back then he was right. Not now.

Pete

oldtiffie
01-03-2013, 02:21 AM
I have a very good older model "DIY-er" Bosch jig saw with three levels of balse oscillation (lift on forward/cutting stroke - down on return stroke - jusdt like a good mechanical saw. It has done its share and is as good as new in all respects.

It locks in beutifully to my saw bench table.

http://www.bosch-do-it.co.uk/boptocs2-uk/DIY/Tools/GB/en/hw/Jigsaws/95250/PST+700+E/24162/3165140526876/index.htm

I also have a heavy duty Bosch GSR 6 29TE screw-driver which can drive screws with PH etc. stubs into wood 3" + deep - and back out again. It has done several steel roofs - new and replacement - never missed a beat. Can be set to automatically stop at pre-set depth and can stop-start-reverse anywhere.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=bosch+gsr+6-20te&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1R2IRFC_enAU360&biw=1920&bih=818&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lCblUPKABYqWmQXvn4DAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QsAQ

And relatively new Metabo stuff:

KU 6870:

This is great on thinner sheet metals (see list) - and wil cut down to a 20mm radius. Has two adjustable 3-face TC cutters:

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.metabo.de/Produktkatalog-handgefuehrte-Elektrowerkzeuge.23744%2BM5fd07e936a8.0.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmetabo%2Bku%2B6870%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3D d%26rlz%3D1R2IRFC_enAU360%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D818&sa=X&ei=nSzlUImXOqyLmwWUxICgAQ&ved=0CDQQ7gEwAA

Metabo B561 power sheer - great on straight line and larger curves on thinner sheet metal:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=metabo+power+shear&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1R2IRFC_enAU360&biw=1920&bih=818&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1C7lUIrDAoPJmAXh0QE&ved=0CHUQsAQ

http://www.unitedtools.com.au/products2.htm?pid=511&catID=61

Its hard to beat European tools - especially German and Swiss-made.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=14&gs_id=1o&xhr=t&q=bosch+gsr+6-20te&pf=p&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&rlz=1R2IRFC_enAU360&oq=bosch+gsr+6-20&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=1&bpcl=40096503&biw=1920&bih=818&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&cad=b

Peter S
01-03-2013, 04:31 AM
At work we are now using new model Panasonic drills and drivers, the first thing I noticed is the battery life (between charges) is very impressive! These drills and drivers are dual-voltage and can handle either 14.4 or 18 volts, we have the 14.4 volt batteries (4.2 AH) which means they are light. Worth checking out in my opinion.

Dr Stan
01-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Its hard to beat European tools - especially German and Swiss-made.

Amen to that. Since all the US branded power tools are chasing the lowest wages I decided to only go with German or Swiss. BTW, have you ever looked at Festools? Made in Germany by Festo (a material handling & automation company) they are IMHO the best ergonomically designed portable power tools on the market. Had the opportunity to try some during one of my trips to Germany and was just blown away, most notably by the wood router. The price however is very hard to justify unless you're using them daily on a professional basis. I used them as examples of excellent design when I taught ergonomics.

Boostinjdm
01-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Stan,
I'm positive Dewalt has two levels of power tools, and both are the same colour and look almost the same quality.

Prove it. I have not seen any evidence of that. If bought and repaired several Dewalt tools.

uncle pete
01-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I probably can't. But they do make a lot of tools with very close to the same specs at vastly different prices. Jigs saws and circular saws would be just two examples. Even a side by side comparison while looking at the new ones in a store and 30 seconds of handling will give you some opinions about two distinct levels of quality. Even with their line of hand drills, you can tell the much cheaper ones are being targeted for the average DIY, while the top of the line is built for everyday commercial use. Two levels of power tools.

Pete

oldtiffie
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Stan,
I'm positive Dewalt has two levels of power tools, and both are the same colour and look almost the same quality. Most of our spanner jockeys at the mine bought and use Dewalt. After talking with them for their opinions, it didn't seem worth taking a chance trying anything else in my opinion. They may not be the worlds best, but your right, they will stand up. But you do have to buy the high priced stuff.

When I was a kid my dad always told me to buy Craftsman. Back then he was right. Not now.

Pete

De Walt is owned by Stanley Black and Decker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Walt

Stanley Black & Decker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_%26_Decker

Make your own decisions.

Bill736
01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Despite the criticisms of Craftsman cordless drills, I find that I now have three of them . Two use 19.2 volt NiCads, and a smaller and more compact one is 12 volt NiCad. The combination of low initial price, low battery replacement costs, and no drill motor failures ( ever) lead me to this situation. With three drill motors, eight battery packs, and three chargers, it's a bit hard to bail out and change brands. I don't use my drills daily for any heavy duty use, so my requirements are different than some folk. I also adapted the 16.8 volt drill motor to use the 19.2 volt battery ( just cut away a piece of plastic ) , so by that time I was hooked on my present collection. I do agree that leaving a NiCad in the quick charger for extended periods ( over, say, 24 hours) will ruin the battery. Those quick chargers, " intelligent" as they may claim to be, are not necessarily battery maintainers .

Dr Stan
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Well I've finally made a decision. I had previously attempted to remove the damaged chuck from my Bosch DD without success. I just could not get the LH threaded lock screw to loosen up. I used a Maglite to see inside the chuck and found the head of the screw was trashed and there was no way to get a screwdriver to stay in the slot.

So I figured there was nothing to be lost and clamped it in my bench vice and proceeded to saw through the drill chuck where I thought I would just miss the threaded shaft. Got lucky and there was just enough of the lock screw sticking out so I could get it out with a small Vicegrip and then spun off the remnants of the drill chuck.

Parts are now on order (about $50.00) so I'm not buying a $250.00 drill driver, at least not now. :)

oldtiffie
01-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Stan - and others - while you may regard at least some Bosch and others as "junk" in/from some of the US stores it does not follow that all Bosch is junk - especially if it is made in Europe - and more particulaly in Germany and Switzerland - and perhaps Malaysia and other places as I'm sure that those European companies keep a very close eye on the quality coming out of the factories no matter where they are.

European Bosch and Metabo etc. are premium tools that ask and get and keep on getting premium prices.

Dr Stan
01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Stan - and others - while you may regard at least some Bosch and others as "junk" in/from some of the US stores it does not follow that all Bosch is junk - especially if it is made in Europe - and more particulaly in Germany and Switzerland - and perhaps Malaysia and other places as I'm sure that those European companies keep a very close eye on the quality coming out of the factories no matter where they are.

European Bosch and Metabo etc. are premium tools that ask and get and keep on getting premium prices.

The reason I'm repairing my Bosh DD is that its Swiss made so I'm more than willing to invest $50 in a drill that would cost me around $200 to replace with a Bosch and $250 for a Metabo. It it was a big box consumer grade version of Bosch it would have already hit the trash can as I could have bought a new one for $99. As a rule I do not buy the consumer grade junk no matter what name is on the tool. I do have a Chinese DeWalt that I bought on the cheap when I was short on cash and needed an angle grinder. As soon as it craps out it will be replaced with an industrial grade Bosch or Metabo.