PDA

View Full Version : ISO 40 english/metric problem

dmc
03-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Dear List,
I have recently purhased a Kondia FV-1 mill from a company in the U.K. The mill is ISO 40(Int 40) with a drawbar for the chuck being 7/16" or 11 mm, with 20-21 threads-per-inch. I am having trouble sourcing attachments for this machine as my suppliers (I live in Italy) only have M16,16mm diameter attachments.

Kondia has told me that when the mills leave the warehouse that are set up for ISO 40, they are equipped with a 5/8" drawbar. This doesn't correspond with anything that I have.

Is it possible to retrofit this machine to accept an m16 drawbar? Looking down the shaft it appears that that the shaft is only about 14-15mm in overall internal diameter.

I appreciate any information you may be able to offer and thank you in advance for your generous response.

Best regards,

John Stevenson
03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
DMC,
I have a Victoria horizontal thats on the old 40 Int with 5/8" drawbar. If I need to use a more moder ER type chuck in it I just swap the drawbar for a length of M16 metric all-thread or studding as we call it, with a large nut pinned and loctited to the end.
I also have two more 1/2" whit and 3/8" whit for if I have to use specials on this machine.
All are home made from studding or all-thread.

If the 5/8" will fit so will M16 as they are very close.

John S.

Ian B
03-22-2004, 04:17 PM
DMC,

A lot of the INT 40 tooling with an M16 thread looks like it has the end piece missing; have a look at:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3804422095&category=46371

I have bought this type, and made adaptors with M16 male threads to screw in the end. I use an M10 drawbar, but you could probably get a 5/8" Whit thread in there. You may need to shim your drawbar at the top to effectively shorten it a little.

The taper's the same, as is the nose register (at least, they fit my machine).

hth,

Ian

dmc
03-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks John,

One problem I have is that 5/8" will not fit into the shaft. I am still confused as to why this machine has a 7/16" drawbar and I can't source ISO 40 attachments for it as they are usually 5/8". Any clues?

I asked Kondia and they said that the FV-1 has the 5/8" drawbar for 40's. Why would this have the 7/16. When I confronted the seller he said, "Sorry to hear that you are having difficultys getting started. The guy from Kondia is dead right. So we need to get you a 40 to suit Clarkson cutters.In
the Uk this easy so tomorrow I will source them.The drawbar is easy just a bit of bar the right length with a nut welded to the end". This makes little sense to me (also because I'm learning this as hobby) but what are Clarkson cutters and why do I need them? It also seems that he is inferring that I need to modify the drawbar even for the Clarkson-type....sheesh..I don't get it at all...help!!

Thanks again for your more-than-generous reply and assistance...

mark

Ian B
03-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Mark,

I have a Beaver mill - same thing. The hole through the spindle won't allow a 5/8" rod to pass through.

Make threaded adaptors to screw into the 5/8" Whit or M16 holes, with whatever 7/16" thread your drawbar has tapped into the other ends.

Clarkson cutters usually have a 20tpi thread on the end of the shank (no matter what size cutter) and also a small centre hole; they screw into collets (there's a metric range and an imperial range, and the collets only take the exact size they're designed for).

The collet chuck nut compresses the collet onto the shank, and presses the end of the shank against a centre point in the back of the chuck. If the cutter has the audacity to try to turn in the collet, it just forces the collet even tighter into the locking nut - VERY solid!

Good luck,

Ian

dmc
03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks Ian,

That helps alot. I am wondering about the link you attached. Does that 40 attachment have a thread at the drawbar end (I'm not good with German)? Would you just purchase that attachment and make your own adapter to fit your drawbar and the thread in the attachment?

Thanks again in advance. I've got lots to learn...

ciao

Ian B
03-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Yes, there's an M16 hole threaded deep into the taper. I make my own adaptors in a horrible (but quick and effective) way:

Take a short length of M16 threaded rod. Take 2 M16 nuts, and use a permanent garde of Loctite to hold them in place. before it sets, tighten the nuts against each other.

Once set, machine the nuts to the same diameter as the spigot on an INT40 tool with the 5/8" thread. Then drill & tap your drawbar's thread into it.

Make a few, and screw them into the ones of he type shown in he link (a spot of a weak grade of Loctite is a good idea; if the adaptor unscrews from the tool, it'll be a pain to get out!)

Ian

dmc
03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ian B:
Yes, there's an M16 hole threaded deep into the taper. I make my own adaptors in a horrible (but quick and effective) way:

Take a short length of M16 threaded rod. Take 2 M16 nuts, and use a permanent garde of Loctite to hold them in place. before it sets, tighten the nuts against each other.

Does the threaded bar need to extend out of one side to fix into the 40 chuck?

Once set, machine the nuts to the same diameter as the spigot on an INT40 tool with the 5/8" thread. Then drill & tap your drawbar's thread into it.

Do you flush the M16 threaded bar to the outside edge of the nut so it is flush? Is this the end you would drill/tap?

Sorry for the ignorance, without drawings or pics I am visually deficient.

Make a few, and screw them into the ones of he type shown in he link (a spot of a weak grade of Loctite is a good idea; if the adaptor unscrews from the tool, it'll be a pain to get out!)

Ian</font>

Thanks for all your help Ian....

I'm starting to get it. Is this why those attachments (like the ones in the link) seem to be cut off? Are they made for doing this type of adaptation?

Thanks again....

Ian B
03-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Mark,

I don't think they're cut off - all of the ones that I've seen with M16 threads are like that. There are different names for the tapers - INT40, CAT40 (Caterpillar, I think), BT40 - all a little different at the ends but all with the same taper. It seems that they can all be made to fit.

Only Deckel seems to be an oddball; they have a male thread which doesn't look easy to adapt to.

The type in the link seems to be the more 'modern' type - pretty much all of the 40 taper tooling on sale in Germany seems to be of that type. I guess that machines now come with longer M16 drawbars to suit.
I think the type in the link is really made to suit CNC machines with auto toolchangers.

You can find more (lots more!) on www.ebay.de (http://www.ebay.de) - just do a search for SK40. Great place to look for Wohlhaupter boring & facing heads...

Ian

dmc
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Ian and Fellas,

You have saved me countless hours of trouble.

Thanks for your patience and valuable information...see you at the auction...

ciao..

mark