PDA

View Full Version : DRO Glass v Magnetic Scales

john11668
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
I installed a cheap Singapore DRO on my Bantam which has been OK for a couple of years!
Now I am finding some intermittency of readings on the cross axis (beyond centre)
I suspect this may be due to coolant but I wonder if any cleaning is possible and how best to go about it.

My other thought was to convert to mag scales and I wondered if they are directly interchangeable.

Regards John

EVguru
01-03-2013, 05:58 PM
I installed a cheap Singapore DRO on my Bantam which has been OK for a couple of years!
Now I am finding some intermittency of readings on the cross axis (beyond centre)
I suspect this may be due to coolant but I wonder if any cleaning is possible and how best to go about it.

My other thought was to convert to mag scales and I wondered if they are directly interchangeable.

Cotton bud and Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning, or even better a chammy leather covered tape head cleaner stick.

I bought a Sinpo setup from The DROstore and then obtained a magnetic tape and head from Machine DRO (Allendale Electronics). Despite their warnings to the contrary, I didn't even have to rewire the D-plug.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/52334-Magnetic-DRO-scale?highlight=harrison+magnetic