PDA

View Full Version : Need a US address and email address.

John Stevenson
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Can we do this via email john {at} stevenson-engineers.co.uk ?

Getting fed up of this dollars $ to Pounds conversion then VAT added on top. This will be for online sales.

At the moment if I apply direct to the US distributer, because I'm in the UK I get referred to UK resellers.

Classic example is a yearly maintenance contract, cost $99 in the US that's 61.49

UK price is 99 plus VAT at 20% = 118.80 or $191.30 That's nearly double. Best laugh [ although I'm not laughing ] is all the support comes from the US, the UK side does nothing only collect money.

Sod that for a game of soldiers.

doctor demo
01-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Pack up and move to (New) England.

Steve

Toolguy
01-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I will try to help in any way possible. How may I be of assistance?

John Stevenson
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Pack up and move to (New) England.

Steve

Bloody hell, who pulled your chain ??

Nice to see you back Steve, where you been ?

Black_Moons
01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Just remember, Globization is only legal when its the companys using it to screw you over.

Expect your service contract to be canceled without refund if they figure out where you actualy are.

(See: lawsuits over grey imports due to regional price diffrences)
(See: Steam banning users (Effectively making them unable to play any steam games they bought) Because they bought games in there region and 'gifted' them to people in a region that the games cost more. Even though you can't tell what regions those are and can't tell what region someone is in)

uncle pete
01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Mehh!!!! My motto is shaft the overpriced bastards who don't think twice about screwing you every chance they get. Whatever happened to "The customer is always right" ????? Wish I could help, Canukistan just isn't going to work. BM's, we buy from the states, think KBC would love to stop that? Were shafting them with every order. I sleep far better knowing that. A royal screwing is a two way street.

Pete

Dr Stan
01-03-2013, 05:42 PM
The last time I was in England I was shocked by the prices due to the VAT and to think there are politicians of a certain party in the US who want to get rid of the income tax and replace it with a VAT! :eek:

That said, find out a way I can get some of your reasonably priced medical care and we'll work out a deal. :)

John Stevenson
01-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Vat isn't a problem to me as I can clain it back.
It's the fact they automatically convert $ to .

Now I can understand this for physical goods that have to be shipped, pay import duties etc and it works out very close to the / $ difference.

However when you pay a maintenance contract on software you don't actually get anything on the day. What you do get is when you log on at a future date and there is an upgrade it automatically installs from the US, not the UK and on my dime.
I ought to get the UK agent to pay the lecy bill for when it's downloading

MrFluffy
01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
You can hide your ip address with a vpn, if its going to be a issue (thats how iplayer etc knows you are in the UK, we use a vpn to watch it in France) but most companys aren't that clever.
And you can sign up for debit cards in dollars (neteller etc), and pounds and use the relevant currency to load into a paypal account to send funds without getting stung on the exchange rate by paypal.

US address is easy too, just get a forwarding address. myus.com for example. Some places will pick up on it being a forwarding addy if its a well known one (dvla for instance in the uk), but thats usually because the forwarding addy is also used by a load of scammers, and has made blacklists. Not really a issue if theyre taking money FROM you.
For your email, just get someone to register the .com variant, and redirect all its mail to your current one.

We have some stuff the software's authors would only talk to us if we went via the uk sub, and the uk sub was terrible. We nearly gave up on their product because of it, but now we use one of our US based tentacles to deal with them instead :)

Jaakko Fagerlund
01-04-2013, 03:51 AM
The last time I was in England I was shocked by the prices due to the VAT and to think there are politicians of a certain party in the US who want to get rid of the income tax and replace it with a VAT! :eek:

That said, find out a way I can get some of your reasonably priced medical care and we'll work out a deal. :)
Welcome here, 24 % VAT, income tax (the usual is around 15-35 %), tax, tax, tax etc. And no, I'm not kidding. Even the gasolie is 75 % of tax, costs about 1.65 EUR per litre at the moment.

But the bright side is free healthcare, free social services & benefits, free school (in university you have to buy the books yourself though) and what else :)

oldtiffie
01-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Can we do this via email john {at} stevenson-engineers.co.uk ?

Getting fed up of this dollars $ to Pounds conversion then VAT added on top. This will be for online sales.

At the moment if I apply direct to the US distributer, because I'm in the UK I get referred to UK resellers.

Classic example is a yearly maintenance contract, cost $99 in the US that's 61.49

UK price is 99 plus VAT at 20% = 118.80 or $191.30 That's nearly double. Best laugh [ although I'm not laughing ] is all the support comes from the US, the UK side does nothing only collect money.

Sod that for a game of soldiers.

If I recall correctly, some here in the recent past used US-based "Forwarding Agents" who charged a quite good nominal fee. They - as I recall - had the items posted to them and they forward it onto the buyer in UK, Australia, Europe, NZ etc. There is quite a cash saving as I recall.

Some here will be able to advise the details.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=21&gs_id=2c&xhr=t&q=forwarding+agents+usa&pf=p&tbo=d&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&sclient=psy-ab&oq=forwarding+agents+usa&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,bs.1,d.dGY&fp=def9f3f538eb70d&bpcl=40096503&biw=1920&bih=818

Machtool
01-04-2013, 05:59 AM
If I recall correctly, some here in the recent past used US-based "Forwarding Agents" who charged a quite good nominal fee. They - as I recall - had the items posted to them and they forward it onto the buyer in UK, Australia, Europe, NZ etc. There is quite a cash saving as I recall.

Some here will be able to advise the details.
Tiff, Have you finally slipped off to senility? John doesn't need a forwarding agent. He needs a fake location and email addy suggesting he is a U.S resident.

The forwarding agent you were probably thinking of was Shipito.com Greg Q, Rich C, myself, all have that. Its only good for those merchants that dont ship out side of the 48 states. That gives you a P.O box in Cali, where they re-address it, often at great rates.

None of which are any use to John..

Phil.

MrFluffy
01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
You need a element of mail forwarding as part of your "virtual address" to do it properly, since often paperwork and contracts and bumf is still sent via snail mail to the addy you specify to verify you are who you claim to be. Where it gets awkward is that you have to trust the forwarding company not to steal all your details and just forward on the correspondance, and establishing bank accounts and cards etc in the other country can be awkward without that street addy.

Heres a company doing "virtual office" service from the USA. I think these guys provide everything john is after, bar the domain rego which he can buy himself anyway.
http://www.usa2me.com/site/pgeVirtualOffice.aspx
I looked at their pricing, and bronze is $23 signup, free monthly, and you pay for any forwarded correspondance. If your expecting nothing that would make it a screaming deal. We have a virtual office in a few juristictions and we have to pay maintenance AND forwarding fees on them...

One last thing, when you register the .com domain, you can buy a service from most registrars called identity protect, which hides your actual address in the domain registry, and is instead replaced by a generic usa addy which is redirected to you. Great for stopping people nosing round something but not law enforcement safe, but your not going to be doing anything of interest to them anyway.

ogre
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I dunno if u can "use " one of our emails or if i can make one for u to use or?? Id b willing to help ya if i can,just let me know what if anything we can do to help.

Dr Stan
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Welcome here, 24 % VAT, income tax (the usual is around 15-35 %), tax, tax, tax etc. And no, I'm not kidding. Even the gasolie is 75 % of tax, costs about 1.65 EUR per litre at the moment.

But the bright side is free healthcare, free social services & benefits, free school (in university you have to buy the books yourself though) and what else :)

There are always trade-offs.

danlb
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Playing devil's advocate here....

We are proposing tax evasion, fraud and violating the software licenses.

There are a whole mess of laws that come into play when you do business in Europe. Things like the data privacy laws can cause all sorts of unexpected extra costs. Microsoft was forced to expose parts of their source code / hidden APIs due to anti competition law suit in Europe (UK??).

Personally, I dislike the remailers. When I do business with a person in California I know which laws will apply and which courts to sue in for redress. When the buyer is secretly in Tasmania and rips you off there is no recourse. No one to sue, no way to repossess the property.

I hate taxes and regulations as much as the next guy, but It seems that there should be some question of honor in here somewhere. Are you honest with the people you do business with when you work so hard to subvert their rules?

BTW, be careful about making it look like you are in California. You may end up with a tax bill based on doing business in the state.

Dan

John Stevenson
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys but now got sorted.

Managed to convince the US seller that seeing as licensing and upgrades all came from the States and no physical medium was involved the UK 'agent' wasn't adding any value, only cost.

Managed to save $857 between the US and UK prices because I upgraded to the next level.