PDA

View Full Version : Worden Grinder

JohnAlex141r
01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Have put some pictures of my almost complete Worden T&C grinder on an album attached to my username.

So far, so good. The screw feed traverse tube causes some issues; table will not rotate 90 degrees vertical (for good looks at tool ground edge) and I had to take a bite out of my (cnc-milled) table raising cams, as can be seen in a picture.

Fortunately, the feed screw mechanism can be easily removed - will make some little wrenches to allow undoing the M10 nuts holding it all together.

Still working on the:

- 4-faced drill grinding jig;
- radius attachment;
- end-mill holders;
- diamond wheel arbour.

Kit was great; not sure about the BA fasteners, but replaced them with M5 or M4 (2BA) or, for the 4BA ones, M3(IIRC - its noted on the plans)

Plans are fantastic. Play by play is fine, but written for beginners with a Myford ML7 lathe; there are ways to make things faster; eg, the cams for table raising were CNC milled out at home.

Hemingway Kits in the UK supply this kit; all metal supplied, with sometimes about 1mm extra - no extra materiel to spare!

By the time I sourced some of the materials, I figured that just getting everything sent from the UK was probably the best bet price-wise; it did seem silly to send all the steel raw materials, but as mentioned, at least I knew they were at hand when required.

So far two thumbs up!

Another JohnS.

sasquatch
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Nice piece of work!! Thanks for posting this.

rowbare
01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Nice job. Where did you get the motor that you are using?

bob

JohnAlex141r
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Bob;

I purchased the motor with the kit. It's a 220v, 50hz motor, running on 220v, 60hz here. (so it is about 12% faster grinding wheel is still well within spec).

It was easier/cheaper to get the motor sourced from the UK than to purchase one of the same frame dimensions here in Canada.

No problem running 50hz motors on 60hz; the other way can be problematic if they are not designed for 50hz.

Most of my machinery is 220v; either from Europe, or specifically wired for 220v here in North America. (it makes more sense for large current draws to be on 220, not 110, IMHO)

Another JohnS.