PDA

View Full Version : OT- Priming Bulb

rws
01-04-2013, 07:28 AM
You've seen the in-line priming bulbs used on many pieces of equipment. They are used to fill/prime fuel filters when changed, help re-prime when you run out of fuel, etc. I would think they have a check valve in them.

My question is, could I use one of these, hose on each end, to siphon fuel? Would the check valve allow the free flow?

vpt
01-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Most of them yes. In fact I have a hose somewhere exactly set up to do that. You squeeze the ball to bring the fuel up and then let gravity take over. Works like a charm.

Now I say most because I have seen some that for some reason have a "tight" ball in them and won't free flow. Most I have seen will free flow.

firbikrhd1
01-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Some used for outboard motors will flow and can be used to siphon, however, the check ball slows flow quite a bit.
For a siphon, perhaps you might want to consider one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPa3uBNy3Jg

They work well, come in a couple of sizes and flow quite fast. I have one with 3/4" hose that really moves product quickly.

dlsinak
01-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes they work fine. I carried one for quite a while motorcycle touring for when I needed gas. Mine doesn't take to much time to use at all.

lynnl
01-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Some used for outboard motors will flow and can be used to siphon, however, the check ball slows flow quite a bit.
For a siphon, perhaps you might want to consider one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPa3uBNy3Jg

They work well, come in a couple of sizes and flow quite fast. I have one with 3/4" hose that really moves product quickly.

The video offers no clue as to what "it" is or where it can be obtained.

duckman
01-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Its just a very loose check valve, as you pump it up and down it causes a liquid to surge into the chamber each surge causes a little bit more until it passes over the top of the loop then it free flows.

rws
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
One of those super siphon things looks easy, and for 10 bucks, not a bad deal. Filling a tractor where the fill spout is on top of the hood is hard to hold there. I want to set the can on the hood and let it flow, without a mouthful of fuel! That should work.

duckman
01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Do a Google search for shaker siphon

Guido
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Shop teacher showed us how to use a 3/4 in. by 3 ft piece of heater hose as a siphon. Insert one end in tank of liquid. Hold thumb over lower end, yo-yo the hose in the liquid and coordinate releasing the thumb at the end of each yo-yo stroke. With fluid trapped on the upstroke, remove thumb temporarily while hose in liquid is qickly jammed downward again into the liquid being siphoned. Experience and an educated/coordinated thumb will get a siphon flow going in a few seconds.

Of course this technique is not too applicable to todays' fuel tank filler construction, but it worked great in my highschool days, when pocket change was short. YMMV,

--G

kendall
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
One of those super siphon things looks easy, and for 10 bucks, not a bad deal. Filling a tractor where the fill spout is on top of the hood is hard to hold there. I want to set the can on the hood and let it flow, without a mouthful of fuel! That should work.

My home built siphon rig is a rubber ball with two holes punched through it.
Insert one larger hose all the way through a hole, then a smaller hole partway into the other hole.
Wedge the ball into the opening so the large hose reaches bottom of can, and blow into the small hose when flow starts, stop blowing.
when tank is full enough put thumb over the end of the small hose and raise the big hose out of tank and above can opening and release your thumb.

Sponge rubber balls work well just by punching the hole, but do soak up liquid, hollow ones work if you glue the hoses to them

uncle pete
01-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Guido does it the same way I do. One mouth full of gas convinced me there had to be a better way. RWS, since your just filling a tractor from a jerry can sitting beside the fuel tank opening it's even easier. Feed your siphon hose into the full jerry can till you can just hold the very end of it. Put you thumb over the end to maintain a seal and pull the needed length of hose out. Put the hose end over the fuel tanks opening and release your thumb. As soon as the fuel starts flowing add a little length into the tank. A 30 second operation if your taking some time to get that siphon to start.

Pete

vpt
01-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Do a Google search for shaker siphon

We have one of those too. It works kind of.

torchroadster
01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
I built a siphon with a piece of copper tubing, (for stiffness), two lengths of flexible tubing and one of these -

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Fuel-Primer-Bulbs/product/53524700/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=17kw3123330&SST=1fa11260-c228-0629-ba23-00006c686a38

Works great.

firbikrhd1
01-05-2013, 10:16 AM
The video offers no clue as to what "it" is or where it can be obtained.

The Super Siphon or a similar product is available at Harbor Freight in a large size, about 3/4". I also have one in 1/2" as well but can't remember where I bought it. It may have been Wal Mart.