PDA

View Full Version : OT - The Use of this Site is Becoming User Un-Freindly

BigBoy1
01-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Can't the designers of the website of this site fix it so the ads are not covering the first inch or so of the posts? It makes the posts hard to read and navigation of the site difficult as the links are covered by ads. The latest "improvement of the site" was not a step forward but a giant leap backwards! On my screen is a total blank area to the left of the posts in which the ads could be appearing. Instead, they are coveting the posts and navigation tools.

Maybe I have missed something but is there someway a person can delete the ads which cover up the posts? It would make the site a whole lot easier to read and navigate! Can some tell what to do if something needs to be done. Thanks.

Rosco-P
01-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't have the problem you describe when viewing posts/threads. I'm guessing it's your browser software or a user setting.

Peter.
01-04-2013, 08:59 AM
I have the vertical banner on the left though IE7pro keeps the ads away (except the tiny amazon one). None of it covers the text of the posts though.

What browser are you using?

George Bulliss
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I have not heard of anyone with a similar problem. The ads should not be covering any of the posts.

We’ll need a little more information before we can check anything on this end though. What operating system and browser are you using? Have you done all the basics, logoff, reboot, delete cookies, etc?

Carld
01-04-2013, 09:23 AM
You may have adds from sites you visit related to machining. You may need to run SpyBot to remove the tracking they do and then put up adds where you visit.

chevy3755
01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
i do not have this problem on my comupter.....................Larry

bborr01
01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I only see ad's until I scroll down too. Or at least no posts.
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp89/bborr01/Craigslist%20May%202011/20130104_093414.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp89/bborr01/Craigslist%20May%202011/20130104_093348.jpg
Brian

George Bulliss
01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
I only see ad's until I scroll down too. Or at least no posts.
Brian

Brian, I read the OP to mean that the ads were covering some of the content and menu items, which does not seem to be the case with yours.

mixdenny
01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm using Firefox 12 with AdBlock and don't have any ads at all. I opened up the "blockable items" list and the only things that are blocked are from ads.villagepress.com, so that is the filter you need.

Dennis

joe51
01-04-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm using Firefox 12 with AdBlock and don't have any ads at all. I opened up the "blockable items" list and the only things that are blocked are from ads.villagepress.com, so that is the filter you need.

Dennis

X10!

I hate the clutter that's on most web pages! Also using FireFox and AdBlock Plus. I LOVE it! I not only block ads such as these but also all the animated GIF (aka avitars) and all the little Mastercard and similar logos that everyone is putting on their webpages. There are actually TWO ads on the top of these pages and one on the left side. When using AdBlock you can right click on each of those those ads and tell it to block those frames and it will block everything in those areas even if the ad itself changes. If you tell it to block the image it will only block THAT image but you'll see the other images that pop up in that area.

rode2rouen
01-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Wow, nice screenshots, I've been using FireFox w/AdBlock for so long, I didn't realize what I'd been missing!

Rex

Nicholas
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow, I didn't think any HSM'er would intentionally block adds that might help the providers of this great forum keep it running, but would be instead clicking on each add at every visit to help out.

donf
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Wow, I didn't think any HSM'er would intentionally block adds that might help the providers of this great forum keep it running, but would be instead clicking on each add at every visit to help out.
Enjoy your ads and click away - I run Adblock Plus on Firefox and Chrome. If the sites got a money a problem there are other ways to solve it.

goodscrap
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
My smartphone hates this site , wherever I click a button to a link, such as a thread or the next page, for some reason it loads the amazon page from the ad.

I can load the odd page but its not easy or quick, I tried to reply to a thread earlier and it threw up a security script error.

Are there any ways to view this forum on a smartphone?

Edit to add if you change the general settings in your profile to the mobile view, you get a very basic page with NO adverts, its not as nice visually and doesn't allow you to zoom in as normal on a smartphone, but at least I can open a few pages

Brian

George Bulliss
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
My smartphone hates this site , wherever I click a button to a link, such as a thread or the next page, for some reason it loads the amazon page from the ad.

I can load the odd page but its not easy or quick, I tried to reply to a thread earlier and it threw up a security script error.

Are there any ways to view this forum on a smartphone?

Brian

Open the menu box in the lower left hand corner of the page and click “default mobile style.” This will give a simplified view, with no ads. To return to the normal view, go to the bottom center of the page and click on “full site.”

The Amazon ad is supposed to be coming down soon and I have sent reminders out to the guy responsible for it.

goodscrap
01-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks George, I'd just found my way to that. It foes throw up an error message but I'm posting this from my phone, so its a step forward.

Brian

Jaakko Fagerlund
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
If they want help, they may ask for money directly. Trying to inject product XYZ on my face every day just doesn't cut it.

Happily running Firefox & AdBlock Plus and enjoying pop-up free, adless (is that a word?) world and quicker page loading times, as the sites won't pull tens of images from various sources.

LKeithR
01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Using Firefox and Adblock I see zero ads; nada, zip. There must be a way that "some" ads can be "fixed" to the site because on some that I visit I do see some small, discrete ads--which I don't object to, by the way. If I had a faster connection I wouldn't care so much about seeing a few ads but the makers/designers of all these sites seem to assume that we all have super fast service and load us up with huge bandwidth gobbling content.

I'm sure it's a quandary for owners/operators of websites because it does cost money to keep them running. I suspect that advertising revenue can can go a long way towards defraying the cost of operating a site like this if not actually put some money in their pockets. From my perspective I'd happily make a small monthly donation rather than have to put up with a bunch of advertising...

aboard_epsilon
01-04-2013, 02:07 PM
you've got your monitor resolution set wrong .

all the best.markj

Dr Stan
01-04-2013, 02:10 PM
no problems on my end

Rosco-P
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Couldn't disagree more. Last thing I'd ever buy is the "Tram-o-nator" from Edge that seems to appears on every page loaded. I think I'll PM Don over at PM and see if he'll put up a poll to see how many guys that are employed full time in the trade own that gizmo. Poll result should be interesting. I'd sooner buy a tee shirt from Snorgtees if it supported this site.

Black_Moons
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Hey George, How much would it cost to have a paid version of the HSM forum without ads?

As in, you pay some (monthly? yearly?) fee, And you don't get any ads displayed. Without using adblock.
(But reads/writes to the same forum database, of course)

George Bulliss
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Hey George, How much would it cost to have a paid version of the HSM forum without ads?

As in, you pay some (monthly? yearly?) fee, And you don't get any ads displayed. Without using adblock.
(But reads/writes to the same forum database, of course)

Interesting idea, but I donít see that as a possibility.

The thing is, the ads are not just about making money to run this bulletin board; there is no separation of the board from the magazines. The board ads are an extra tool for our ad rep and they help to provide our advertisers with a better-rounded package, and better results.

Many long-term contracts are in place and the combination packages have been very successful; I donít see it ending anytime soon.

I do what I can to keep the clutter off the board. That said, I donít run the show and donít win every battle.

Dr Stan
01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I do what I can to keep the clutter off the board. That said, I don’t run the show and don’t win every battle.

You may not win every battle, but you do a good job.

Black_Moons
01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Interesting idea, but I don’t see that as a possibility.

The thing is, the ads are not just about making money to run this bulletin board; there is no separation of the board from the magazines. The board ads are an extra tool for our ad rep and they help to provide our advertisers with a better-rounded package, and better results.

Many long-term contracts are in place and the combination packages have been very successful; I don’t see it ending anytime soon.

I do what I can to keep the clutter off the board. That said, I don’t run the show and don’t win every battle.

So, Keeping the <small number> of posters happy who contribute all the content so that a <LARGE NUMBER> of other random people googling see ads is not in village presses intrest?

Why is it so many things seem geared towards providing services for advertisers?

When did people stop being customers and became the product to repackage and resell in bulk to some sleezy company for a buck?

dp
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
When did people stop being customers and became the product to repackage and resell in bulk to some sleezy company for a buck?

1882. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/demographic

Peterson's Postulate says that any demographic that can be financially exploited will be.

JoeLee
01-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I have to agree, I sometimes have problems with quotes. I'll get an error message that says content is too short. At that point I can't do anything to correct it. If I Leave the page I loose everything I typed. So if it happens I just copy the text and start over in insert it where ever the cursur is. Doesn't always come out looking too good.

JL................

Nicholas
01-04-2013, 04:52 PM

How about a paid subscription version that gives access to:

1. Current magazine.
2. Back issues
3. Buy and Sell section
4. This forum

Pros- no printing or mailing cost
What are the cons.

Any idea of the subscription cost.

Black_Moons
01-04-2013, 05:04 PM

1. Current magazine.
Any idea of the subscription cost.

I don't want to pay for a magazine filled 50%+ with ads. (I counted the content vs ad filled pages)
I want to pay to get *rid* of the ads.

I want to be the customer. Not the product. I refuse to pay to be a product.

I would only pay to remove the ads on this forum. As is im getting closer and closer to installing adblock due to the ever increasing number of ads, as im sure a large number of people have already done due to excessive number of annoying ads on the internet in general.

Nicholas
01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Last thing I'd ever buy is the "Tram-o-nator" from Edge that seems to appears on every page loaded. I think I'll PM Don over at PM and see if he'll put up a poll to see how many guys that are employed full time in the trade own that gizmo. Poll result should be interesting. I'd sooner buy a tee shirt from Snorgtees if it supported this site.

I wouldn't buy one either, but there is a good chance that some of the PM members you would be polling, work at, or own Edge Technology.

danlb
01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
When did people stop being customers and became the product to repackage and resell in bulk

The person who pays for the product is the customer. The one who uses it is the consumer. They are not always the same thing.

The advertisers pay for the site. We just use it. The fact that we use it in a way that is entertaining and draws others to the site is a side effect.

If you made the argument that we are adding value, then you have to take into account all those that add no value or whom are so negative that they chase people off. Do we charge them extra? :)

I subscribe to the magazine, and pay my fair share that way. I block ads only because they are tied to javascript and can be a vector for virus transmission. Ads that are simple GIFs or text will show up without problems.

Dan

uncle pete
01-04-2013, 05:42 PM
I downloaded Firefox, use the Adblock option, No ads, no delays, no paying not to see em, and both this site and PM are far quicker to work with. I should have done this a long time ago. My email will still use IE with any emails from here and PM, but I'm just too stupid to figure out how to get it to use Firefox too. No big deal, it then allows me to see if there's any interesting ads on each site. I don't even watch live TV anymore. Record the very few items left on it that don't make me want to puke, and then just FF right past all the advertising for crap I wouldn't buy anyway. Life is much nicer with a lot less wasted time now.

Pete

BigBoy1
01-05-2013, 04:14 AM
I have not heard of anyone with a similar problem. The ads should not be covering any of the posts.

Weíll need a little more information before we can check anything on this end though. What operating system and browser are you using? Have you done all the basics, logoff, reboot, delete cookies, etc?

Since I don't have a clue on how to do a screen capture, I did it the best I could and have attached a picture of my screen. As you can see the items are covered and there is a blank space to the left of it where the ads could easily appear. To answer your questions, I'm running Windows XP and using Google Chrome. Tried the log-off, log-on with no affect. The only cookies I know about are the ones in the lower kitchen cabinet. (See my signature block.)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/DSCN0783_zpsa7b06ead.jpg

Peter.
01-05-2013, 06:09 AM
Oh yeah I can see how that would annoy - your advert frame is on top of the content frame. Should be to the left.

First thing I would do is clear the cache.

By the way to capture a window use alt+print screen, or install screenhunter then you just press f6 and draw a box over whatever you want to snap a picture of.

vpt
01-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Get firefox, right click, block add. I see nothing.

lazlo
01-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Since I don't have a clue on how to do a screen capture, I did it the best I could and have attached a picture of my screen.

That's the poorly written left-side frame with the Amazon gift card ad. I posted screenshots from my tablet when it was first hosted (before Christmas) showing how it incorrectly occludes the main frame (the reading pane).

It's a pain on the Chrome AdBlocker too, because Chrome tries to render the frame, realizes it's a malformed HTML element, and then hides it.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/Screenshot_2012-11-28-14-05-12.png

dian
01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
try opera.

BigBoy1
01-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah I can see how that would annoy - your advert frame is on top of the content frame. Should be to the left.

By the way to capture a window use alt+print screen, or install screenhunter then you just press f6 and draw a box over whatever you want to snap a picture of.

I appreciate the comments so far but what or where is the cache? I don't have a print screen button. What is firefox and what does it do? What does opera have to do with this?

Peter.
01-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Firefox and Opera are both internet browsers just like Chrome you are using. I use opera mini on my smartphone but I use IE7/8 on my pc/laptop.

Print screen is the second button on the top row of your keyboard. Hold alt and press that button and the window you are focused on will be copied to the clipboard. Now open paint and choose edit-paste and you can save it as an image. Might have to re-size the white background by dragging the corner.

flylo
01-05-2013, 04:02 PM
George have you considered digital subscriptions? I get tired of all the paper piling up & don't subscibe to print anymore. You could save the printing & mailing & the customer could maybe save some money. Could be a win-win!:confused:

sasquatch
01-05-2013, 04:31 PM
No problems here on my end, just fine.

chriskat
01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Why not try Internet Explorer and see if it displays the same. You probably already have that on your laptop. At least that would tell you if it was a browser problem.

Jeff

dp
01-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Pasting the URL of the General forum into the w3.org validator kicks out all manner of errors related to the Amazon stuff.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.homeshopmachinist.net%2 Fforums%2F3-General&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Jess13
01-05-2013, 07:27 PM
IDK if this will help, but try the zoom function ( Ctrl + scroll on mouse wheel). That is a odd problem and I dont remember how but somewhere XP has a way of ajusting the size of text and whats around it seperatly. IDK if within those ajustment it would even help but I do remember something of the sort.

Someone already meantioned it, but if yuo havnt tried the monitor res that would be worth a go. Also you may go to Windoz update and see if there is a monitor, or even vidcard driver patch that may be needed. I had a monitor that would never dispay things right until I got the patch at the update center.
You might also need to make sure at the Windoz update page that it has it so that hardware updates will be shown. Might even have to do a search instead of it just giving you a list of updates.

Jess

Black_Moons
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Pasting the URL of the General forum into the w3.org validator kicks out all manner of errors related to the Amazon stuff.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.homeshopmachinist.net%2 Fforums%2F3-General&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

IE does not even show the ad below the amazon ad 90% of the time.

I wonder how your ad providers would feel if they knew another company was blocking ads they paid for due to its poorly coded ads.

oldtiffie
01-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I have to agree, I sometimes have problems with quotes. I'll get an error message that says content is too short. At that point I can't do anything to correct it. If I Leave the page I loose everything I typed. So if it happens I just copy the text and start over in insert it where ever the cursur is. Doesn't always come out looking too good.

JL................

The software requires a minimum of 10 characters that are not in a quote beforew it will process your post/reply.

Just type a line of 10 "dots/periods" and all will be well - as in:

oldtiffie
01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
My computer (W7,IE8) is having no problems at all.

I have the adverts in their proper places at the left and top of my screen. I just accept that they are and will continue to be there.

I just pretty well ignore them - not a problem.

Paul Alciatore
01-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Since I don't have a clue on how to do a screen capture, I did it the best I could and have attached a picture of my screen. ...<sni[p>...

Screen capture is dead easy.

Press the Prt Sc (Print Screen) button to copy the whole screen
or
Press Alt / Prt Sc button to copy just the current window.

Then open Paint or almost any other raster based drawing program and press Ctrl/V to paste the image.

Crop or edit it as needed. Save it and you are done.

I use this all the time for things like computer instructions or just to copy an image that I need. You can copy the maps from Google or other map sites with this to make a map for a trip. I zoom in to the level for the detail that I want and copy and paste into Paint. If you need a larger area, just pan the map and copy again. Enlarge the Paint canvas to 3 or 4 times the size of the first paste and paste it again in a white area. Then select the new area and move it to match the first pasted image. You can build up a map of any size and scale this way. In Paint, the arrow keys allow precise positioning of each image. Do allow some overlap.

dp
01-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Screen capture is dead easy.

Press the Prt Sc (Print Screen) button to copy the whole screen
or
Press Alt / Prt Sc button to copy just the current window.

Unless you're using a Mac in which case you press shift splat 3 to grab the screen, shift splat 4 and use the mouse to select the desired area, or shift splat 4 spacebar click to grab just the clicked Window you wish to copy. Splat is the command key but the icon looks like a bug splat. The image is stored on the desktop as "screen shot (date/time).png"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Apple_key.jpg/320px-Apple_key.jpg

lakeside53
01-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Why not try Internet Explorer and see if it displays the same. You probably already have that on your laptop. At least that would tell you if it was a browser problem.

Jeff

And if it's IE9 just turn on tracking protection, load a few definiton lists to get started (even that used by adblocker); all the ads and screen nonsense will vanish,

Black_Moons
01-06-2013, 03:44 AM
And if it's IE9 just turn on tracking protection, load a few definiton lists to get started (even that used by adblocker); all the ads and screen nonsense will vanish,

Yep, The more and more ads you put up, the less and less people will see as people will seek out ways to remove them.

I can only hope that soon everyone blocks ads, ad companys die out and we can go back to being the customers and not the product.

I am getting tired of being treated like a product.

mike4
01-06-2013, 03:54 AM
I second the dislike of the bandwidth chewing intrusive ads , however the only problem with this site is some pictures wont display , and some users can get a bit annoying but thats life.
Michael

BigBoy1
01-06-2013, 06:28 AM
I appreciate the suggestions but I don't have enough experience/knowledge/confidence to try them as I usually get things so screwed up, my computer stops working. I was using Microsoft Internet Explorer but it loaded some updates on my machine and that's when the trouble started. It wouldn't work anymore. I eventually had to hire a guy to come out and "fix" the machine. He loaded Google Chrome and that has been working OK b ut the computer runs very slow. I don't want to change things as my experience has been that changes are costly as I have to pay some one to come and undo the changes to get the computer back working. As far as I'm concerned, computers are way too complicated and lack any instruction manuals. (That is another whole topic for gripes.)

lakeside53
01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Yep, The more and more ads you put up, the less and less people will see as people will seek out ways to remove them.

I can only hope that soon everyone blocks ads, ad companys die out and we can go back to being the customers and not the product.

I am getting tired of being treated like a product.

I noticed cnczone.com has a pay option (from 2004?) to kill ads a a few other "features". Way too expensive..... Wonder how that worked out for them? Maybe it's just there so they can point disgruntled members to that "option". ;)

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1040365#post1040365

vpt
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Firefox, right click, block add looks like:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8329/machinsitwebfirefoxnoad.jpg

J. Randall
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
I appreciate the suggestions but I don't have enough experience/knowledge/confidence to try them as I usually get things so screwed up, my computer stops working. I was using Microsoft Internet Explorer but it loaded some updates on my machine and that's when the trouble started. It wouldn't work anymore. I eventually had to hire a guy to come out and "fix" the machine. He loaded Google Chrome and that has been working OK b ut the computer runs very slow. I don't want to change things as my experience has been that changes are costly as I have to pay some one to come and undo the changes to get the computer back working. As far as I'm concerned, computers are way too complicated and lack any instruction manuals. (That is another whole topic for gripes.)

Just learn to use the search function, all the instructions you could ever want are at your fingertips, if you put in the effort to find them. Find what you need and print it out and dive in.
James

Black_Moons
01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I noticed cnczone.com has a pay option (from 2004?) to kill ads a a few other "features". Way too expensive..... Wonder how that worked out for them? Maybe it's just there so they can point disgruntled members to that "option". ;)

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1040365#post1040365

Gez, for that price I could buy space on a server to mirror there whole website without the ads.

lakeside53
01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Firefox, right click, block add looks like:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8329/machinsitwebfirefoxnoad.jpg

Exactly what it looks like in IE9 ;)

rohart
01-06-2013, 05:22 PM
In the UK there is a growing movement to try to put under pressure international companies that duck out of paying their fair share of UK tax, by transferring money about, and making a loss in the UK. Amazone is one ot the top companies on that list.

My point is that the wish to avoid adverts is more than just cosmetic.

But I have a question for George. I understand that your advertisers get their penny/cent each time a page is delivered with the adverts. But do you lose the money if the ads are blocked ? I'm talking specifically about Adblock. I guess that it stops the pagescript from requesting delivery of the ad, but does that stop you getting the money, or is the money calculated on the basis of pages requested from you ?

As a rider, and if you do lose the cash, is there an alternative Adblock that requests the ad but doesn't display it ?

Bill736
01-06-2013, 10:52 PM
I use AOL. I also have Ad Muncher installed. I rarely see any type of ad at all on any site. In my opinion, without a really good ad blocker, the internet is intolerable.

George Bulliss
01-07-2013, 07:27 AM
In the UK there is a growing movement to try to put under pressure international companies that duck out of paying their fair share of UK tax, by transferring money about, and making a loss in the UK. Amazone is one ot the top companies on that list.

My point is that the wish to avoid adverts is more than just cosmetic.

But I have a question for George. I understand that your advertisers get their penny/cent each time a page is delivered with the adverts. But do you lose the money if the ads are blocked ? I'm talking specifically about Adblock. I guess that it stops the pagescript from requesting delivery of the ad, but does that stop you getting the money, or is the money calculated on the basis of pages requested from you ?

As a rider, and if you do lose the cash, is there an alternative Adblock that requests the ad but doesn't display it ?

I can’t comment on the specifics of the ad revenue, as I have no involvement at all in that end of the business.

Regarding the Amazon ad; I was told it was coming down the first of January and will keep bugging the guy responsible until it does come down.

amb
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM

1. Current magazine.
2. Back issues
3. Buy and Sell section
4. This forum

Wait, was #3 there hypothetical or does it exist now someplace? I've been reading here for a while on and off; it's about the best thing going that I've found as a replacement for rec.crafts.metalworking but with the glaring exception of not being able to buy and sell.

My experience elsewhere suggests that maintaining a buy/sell section (for personal stuff only) would be as much of an administration headache as the rest of the site combined, but if the only people that can post ads have ponied up $20-30/year for the privilege, you can do OK. Let everybody see it and buy stuff (so more incentive to advertise here), just pay-to-list.

PS: to be clear, I'm happy to have the site as-is, I'm just giving an opinion on how I think it could improve. If the powers that be aren't game, you still have my thanks for what we have here!

oldtiffie
01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
This really has descended into the usual "grizzle and gripe" about VP's BBS (ie this one).

As I see see it, George is fairly accommodaing - within limits imposed by him and on him.

My guess is that we either use the BBS as it is and as it may be amended/revised from time to time (or not) - or simply not use it at all.

Just grin and bear it and get used to it.

robosilo
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
In regards to the original issue... BigBoy1: this may be one of those times that you find some teenager that knows their way around a computer and is willing to work for beer to tune up your computer, explain a few things about internet browsers and answer any questions you have. Having been a beer paid teenager myself on many occasions in the past, i can say that this type of arrangement usually works quite well.

George Bulliss
01-08-2013, 07:54 AM
The Amazon ad is down now. I'm curious to know if this has made any difference in the OPs problem?

Richard King
01-08-2013, 08:32 AM
I could care less about the ad's. Heck as long as we have a place to learn and it's free, what's the big deal???
Just go past the ad's and get to the content. What bothers me here more then anything are the few angry to a point you wonder if they are nuts poster's and how they are allowed to spoil a thread. You people know what I mean....We are having a nice discussion and some nut comes on and spoils it for the rest of us and we stop talking. I wish the administer would warn these people to stop or they would get ejected.

RKW
01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Correction/addition on the print screen instructions:

Shift+Print Screen = Entire Desktop (aka, everything you can currently see, the way you see it)
Alt+Print Screen = Current Window (aka, whatever window is active or was last clicked on/in)

I do prefer alt+print screen most often but sometimes the entire desktop needs to be captured as well.

Mcgyver
01-11-2013, 08:14 PM
I could care less about the ad's. Heck as long as we have a place to learn and it's free, what's the big deal???.

spot on, 100% agree

lakeside53
01-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Maybe you'd care more if you had a slower internet connection. Ad's eat bandwidth. Forgetting bandwidth, just like TV I find them obnoxious and intrusive. I'd pay to not see any, but with adblockers or IE9 I don't anyhow, and for TV I have TiVo.

CCWKen
01-11-2013, 11:55 PM
IE8 works just fine for that too, if setup correctly. :cool:

BigBoy1
01-12-2013, 09:28 AM
The Amazon ad is down now. I'm curious to know if this has made any difference in the OPs problem?

The new ad is doing exactly the same thing - covering the posts.

I'm not complaining about the fact that ads are present, in fact I have used them to get items I needed. However, my complaint is the problem they cause when trying to use the site. If what you want to read is partially covered, information is lost.

robosilo
01-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Did anyone else notice the "broken page" icon in the URL box in the images in the beginning? I only get that when a page isn't fully loading all of the content/format code and often it results in a page layout problems.

BigBoy1
01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Today I had a new computer installed and problem with the ads overlapping the text has gone away! The new computer displays the ads in their correct place. Thank goodness,