PDA

View Full Version : Its been a loooonnnng Holiday

brian Rupnow
01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Okay guys. ---I've just spent two weeks eating all I could eat, reading all I could read, playing around on my lathe and mill building model whiz-bangs till I'm sick of doing that. Damn, I want to get back to work!!! Customarily it takes engineering/manufacturing companies about the first two weeks of January to get sorted out, look at their budgets for the coming year, and start kicking out project work. Can't happen too soon for me.---Brian

KiddZimaHater
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
December was a loooonngg month for me.
I didn't have Diddly-Poo to work on.
Made me nervous.
Hopefully there will be some goodies coming in the door soon.

camdigger
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Yep, it has been a long holiday season. Firswt time in 30 years I've had to work Christmas day. Sucked big time. Stupid weather.:mad:

BigJohnT
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I've worked every day for the last month and I'm still not done with the machines I'm building... but real close. Then the ATC crapped out on my BP VMC... but I'm back up limping along one tool at a time till I finish everything and get it out the door.

John

RKW
01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Try being laid off just before the holidays ... bastards! At least I got some shop time in!

darryl
01-13-2013, 02:41 AM
For me the time off has gone by too fast. I need to work to live, but I'd rather spend my time in my own shop. I've been out of work since before Christmas and could be out another month or so- I hope I can stay on my bend for a while longer- cleaning shop and catching up on some old projects.

brian Rupnow
01-13-2013, 09:09 AM
I thought that I would try retirement by working 3 days a week with my design engineering business, and have 4 days off each week. This sounded like a great idea when I was working 5 days a week. It was fine in the summertime, when my wife and I had a great time touring around with our young granddaughters and seeing how many different lakes we could swim in, cottaging, etc.. Now however, in the winter months, and the kids in school, I find that I don't really have enough to do with 4 days off each week. I read for entertainment, but you can only read so many books and you grow tired of reading. I have built a model sawmill and a cone clutch in my little machine shop, but like reading, you can only do so much of that type of "play machining" before you grow tired of it. Now I wish I still had 5 days of work each week. I am trying to find my way gracefully into this whole retirement business, but its not as easy as one would have thought. I'm not altruistic enough to go and volunteer my time somewhere. Wife and I have been fortunate, having both had succesfull, good paying careers. We never waited for retirement to do anything. Our opinion was "Why wait till we're old to do things. Hell, we might die before we get to do things we want!!! We've got the money, lets do it now while our health is good and the kids are young enough to do things with us!!!"---This works really great, until you hit retirement age and discover you've done damn near everything you wanted to do in life, and don't want to start doing things over again. Thank God our health is still good. Now all we have to do is figure out what to do with it.

sasquatch
01-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Brian,-- curious to what topics you read?

brian Rupnow
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Brian,-- curious to what topics you read?
Anything by Robin Hobb--fantasy. Anything in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (Except the Lord John books)-Scottish rebellion, fictional history, A lot of Johny Ringo---Space warfare--Sci Fi, anything by John Sandford---detective stuff, anything by Michael Connely---detective stuff, Anything by James Lee Burke, --detective with a New Orleans setting. William C Dietz--space warfare-sci fi. I read so much that now I wait for my favourite authors to publish, because there are just so many garbage books out there that its like a crap shoot. I have an e-reader and download a lot of e-books, and I buy most all my paper books at Chapters.---And Oh Yeah, can't forget Jack Whyte--crusaders and King Arthur stuff.

loose nut
01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Try reading these, Modern Machine Shop Practice, that would keep you busy for a while.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/loosenut_bucket/DSC00433.jpg

Jon Heron
01-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Boy oh boy do I wish I had that problem.... With two young kids and a rural property the project list is indefinite and spare time a mere fantasy. :rolleyes:
As with anything in life I guess its all relative though eh!?
Cheers,
Jon

J. R. Williams
01-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Brian
There are two questions you have to answer about retirement. One is "How much is enough?" which has two parts, how much income do you need to be comfortable and the other is how much of the work related BS is enough. The second one is "What is your life worth ?". I have seen many work on too long and have little or no retirement time remaining. I carefully answered both and now I am in my 25 th. year of retirement and hopefully have a few more remaining. I worked in my shop at my pace and developed and sold a product and five years ago sold the business and it pays for my shop equipment and tool costs. I am getting too old to travel very much anymore.
Joe W

brian Rupnow
01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
J R Williams.---Since I am a consultant, I don't really have much work related BS to deal with. What is my life worth?---Well, its worth a fair bit to me, at any rate. I guess that in part, the answer is "My life is worth a bit more to me when I have something interesting to do." I really don't need the income. However, time is, in itself, rather useless to me unless I have something usefull or interesting to do during that time. To be totally retired, set in my recliner, and stare at the wall doesn't hold a lot of appeal to me. And as for money?---You never have enough. I think that old western song about the secret to a a long life being 'Younger women, faster horses, and more money" may have something to it.

rode2rouen
01-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Many years ago, my Granddad told me, "Steer clear of fast women and slow horses, they will keep your pockets empty!"

Rex

EVguru
01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm not altruistic enough to go and volunteer my time somewhere.

Is there an American equivilent of Remap?

http://www.remap.org.uk/

schoolie
01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Is there an American equivilent of Remap?

http://www.remap.org.uk/

That looks pretty cool. If anyone knows of anything like that in the states, I'd be interested to hear about it.

dian
01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
if ist cold in the shop and i read the forums, i find it keeps me occupied for 20 hours a day. (pretty stupid, i know.)