PDA

View Full Version : Acu-rite III Display & Covel Cutter Grinder

splicer
03-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Had a look at a couple of items today that I can get cheap....but both might be more trouble than they're worth.

1) Acu-rite III display only.....powers up and all displays work fine but how tough will it be to get scales for it ???

2) Covel cutter/tool grinder....old heavy cast iron base model with 24" of 'x'travel. It's belt drive to the double ended wheel head and comes wth an old Cincinatti work head and a 6 X 18 import mag chuck(good shape)
This thing's gotta weigh 1200 lbs.

I already have a surface grinder so how much use will I get out of the Covel???

I AM a tool junkie and I'm having the usual problem of "BUY IT...IT'S A DEAL" versus "WHERE THE HECK AM I GUNNA PUT THIS THING" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mike W
03-19-2004, 05:38 PM
The where the heck will I put this thing will get you sooner or later.

Dee Reel
03-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Splicer,

Scales would not be that difficult to get for the Acurite III.

You will need to get interface cables and scales alike for that readout.

It might be more reasonable to purchase a complete kit rather than buy just the readout alone; as they do not repair the Acurite III readouts any longer.

That may be the reason the readout is at such a reasonable("cheap") price.

Hope this has helped.

Dee

splicer
03-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Dee: Thanks for the info. I tested the display at a friend's machine shop and it works fine, but I still need cables and scales as you pointed out. Did'nt know they were not being repaired any more, so I'll pass on it unless I can get it for $50 or less. Thanks again.

Dee Reel
03-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Splicer,

You are more than welcome. Hated to give you the bad news about the repairs however.

Dee