PDA

View Full Version : Check out this line boring and welding!

Jon Heron
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I found this thread enjoyable.
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?24734-Some-Line-Boring-Pics
Cheers,
Jon

Guido
01-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Jon, wisht I was 21 all over again. I'd be on me way to Perth to try apprenticing with those guys. As General G. Patton said: "It would be shovelin'shet in Louisiana.'

Thanks for posting the website addy.

--G

etard
01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
WOW, those guys get amazing accuracy over such long distances! That piano wire technique is impressive to say the least, thanks for sharing!

I watched a couple videos showing those line boring welders at work, I'll try to dig them up...

adatesman
01-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Jeez... And I thought I was hot stuff fixing my backhoe!

11 Bravo
01-15-2013, 11:22 PM
I used to be involved with a fair amount of that kind of work back in my Caterpillar field service days.

The job shown in post 44 brings back memories. I was part of the crew that did the first 994 loader split in the field to repair the center articulation. Cat used pictures from that job in the early service manuals. We had to replace the front frame section as part of a frame update that Caterpillar did on the earliest of the 994 loaders. The ones we were working on then were "field follow" machines. Basically early pre-production machines that were released to selected customers with agreements that Cat wanted to closely monitor them and do some final testing on them. The loader we did first was not the oldest one out there, but the articulation was the worst so we did it first. I was involved in at least a dozen of those loader splits on the 994's and too many to count on the smaller loaders.

I have used that wire alignment method on main bearing bores and camshaft journals in large stationary engines too. It used to be a very common method before lasers.

Ah the memories. Glad I did that stuff when I was young.