PDA

View Full Version : Chip compactor

vpt
01-19-2013, 09:43 AM
I used to dump my swarf in a junk car and take it in for scrap when full. But it seems everyone is buying up all the junk cars around me and taking them in empty. So the swarf is adding up and I have around 6-7 5 gallon pails full now. I want to build a swarf compactor, something easy to dump chips in (won't make a huge mess) and does its job. The two easiest things I can use to aid are my arbor press and a log splitter. I am thinking the log splitter would be the best choice for power. Any ideas, pictures, or drawings on a good "hopper" idea for the compactor? Pipe/cylinder and piston ideas? How to get the swarf out after compacted?

I have this nice little splitter, doesn't have oodles of power but enough to compact some chips.

http://www.generatordepot.us/images/products/detail/SPLS05.jpg

TGTool
01-19-2013, 10:10 AM
One of those old square hay balers ought to do the trick. Since everyone wants round bales these days you should be able to find them for almost nothing, set it behind the shed and run it twice a year. The swarf it all compacted and tied up for you nicely. The only problem left is that you'll need a forklift to move the bale now. ;)

vpt
01-19-2013, 10:16 AM
One of those old square hay balers ought to do the trick. Since everyone wants round bales these days you should be able to find them for almost nothing, set it behind the shed and run it twice a year. The swarf it all compacted and tied up for you nicely. The only problem left is that you'll need a forklift to move the bale now. ;)

That is a good idea and funny at the same time!

Toolguy
01-19-2013, 10:27 AM
An old kitchen trash compactor would do the job just as it is.

J Tiers
01-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I asked about this somewhere a while back, and some answers were interesting...... the scrap folks might not want the scrap, at least not without paying the lowest possible price (as if that were different). The point was that chips are a known item, and not much is hidden, but when compacted, but the middle could be a rock and they can't see it to know it isn't there.

being in the csrap biz, they have seen everything, and assume everyone is out to cheat them, so compacted bricks might not be the form that they want.....

Others said that chips disappear as rust so fast that the scrap folks might not be too pleased with loose chips either..... those folks said they just tipped theirs into the dumpster*.

I dunno, I have a barrel full now, and will need to do something with it soon.

* side note... anyone actually remember the old "Dempster Dumpster" that gave those things their name?

oxford
01-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Maybe you could find some cheap/free 55 gallon drums to compact them in, then just leave the drums with the chips in it for the scrap man.

quadrod
01-19-2013, 11:19 AM
I just use a peace of round stock about 2" diameter and 2' long and pound the chips into 5 gal buckets and then take them to the scrap yard and give the chips to them. Hopefully this puts me on there good side so i can keep looking for machinable scrap there. The day will come when they will not let folks poke around the scrap piles because there lawyer will put a stop to it.

lugnut
01-19-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a kitchen trash compactor in my shop that works great for chips. I think I paid ten bucks for it. It compresses the chips into a plastic bag and comes out in a 10" x 18" by 20" bale.

mickeyf
01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
How to get the swarf out after compacted?

The first thing that came to my mind was something like a springform pan that you make cheese cake in. Or at least with a removable bottom.

vpt
01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I have a kitchen trash compactor in my shop that works great for chips. I think I paid ten bucks for it. It compresses the chips into a plastic bag and comes out in a 10" x 18" by 20" bale.

These are interesting especially if I could find one for 10 bucks! lol

doctor demo
01-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Just substitute chips for leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhMIOXu_N8
Steve

Peter S
01-20-2013, 06:09 AM
One of those old square hay balers ought to do the trick.

Thanks, that brings back something I had forgotten about - back in the 1970's-80's I worked at a place which had an aluminium foil department. Several large presses produced foil products from coiled strip. The waste was sucked up by a extractor system which terminated at....a hay baler. This was an ordinary hay baler with mods, e.g electric motor drive. When sufficient foil scrap had accumulated, the baler would switch on automatically and add a bit more to the bale. I don't recall if or how it tied the bales, but it produced nicely compacted and tidy bales of waste!

vpt
01-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Just substitute chips for leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhMIOXu_N8
Steve

I remember seeing that video before. That is pretty much what I had in mind for the log splitter compactor deal. I wonder how a "block" of leaves burns? This might be a multi use deal in the end. :)