PDA

View Full Version : Bad Dog drill bits

jacmarhal
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Anyone ever try these?

https://baddogtools.com/styled-6/styled-8/index.html

I bought a 14 piece index at a wood show this weekend because I was so impressed with the demo. Drilled through tile, masonry, stainless and files. Tried them at work and broke almost each one I tried (4 in total out of 14

piece set). Not too impressed now. Although they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty, they always make it look so easy at these shows and when you get them home, it's a different story.

MotorradMike
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
I think you got marketed to.
I hate it when that happens.

tmc_31
01-27-2013, 08:24 PM
I bought a set from my tractor dealer a couple of years ago. Took them home, tried them on some mild steel and they wouldn't drill for crap. I called Bad Dog, they said that they were carbide they needed to be run fast. Tried a couple more as fast as my mill drill would go (2800 rpm), they still wouldn't drill. looked like they were trying to burn their way through.

I wound up taking them back to the tractor dealer. They gave me my money back so all was well. I think they quit selling them after that. It seems like they said that they had sold a couple of other sets and had not had any bad reports until I showed up.

It was about that time when I started using annular cutters. I bought a Champion Mag Drill and some of their Carbide Tipped Hole Cutters. They work great. You can use the cutters in a drill press if you don't have a mag drill available.

Tim

KiddZimaHater
01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I think you got 'Took'.
Those drills look like carbide tipped Masonry drills.
Their website says, "DO NOT DRILL PILOT HOLE!"
I wouldn't trust them.
On the other hand, I just bought a (cheap) brand-new HSS twist drill off of Ebay, and the sides of it were completely wiped-out, and drill ruined after drilling only 4 holes in 1018.
Chinese crap is Chinese crap.
Nothing beats a properly ground Cleveland Twist Drill

J Tiers
01-27-2013, 10:26 PM
You've got nothing to complain about..........

They SAID the drills were "Bad", didn't they? :D

Jaakko Fagerlund
01-27-2013, 11:48 PM
I think you got 'Took'.
Those drills look like carbide tipped Masonry drills.
Their website says, "DO NOT DRILL PILOT HOLE!"
I wouldn't trust them.
On the other hand, I just bought a (cheap) brand-new HSS twist drill off of Ebay, and the sides of it were completely wiped-out, and drill ruined after drilling only 4 holes in 1018.
Chinese crap is Chinese crap.
Nothing beats a properly ground Cleveland Twist Drill
Cheap is crap, no matter where it is made. You can get crap from the USA also.

Boucher
01-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Carbide insert concrete drills are often not very sharp. Same problem with carbide insert lathe tools. If you have a diamond wheel it just takes a second to sharpen them. Some have better carbide than others. Price is not always indicative of quality but most of the time it is

12teethperinch
01-28-2013, 12:30 AM
I looked at them at a wood show also. They appear to be resharpened import masonry bits. The demos worked well enough, but having worked on tv commercials I know the demos are alway set up to work.

hitnmiss
01-28-2013, 01:58 PM
I remember a demo like that years ago, I grabbed the file and scratched it with my pocket knife file that wasn't very good. They must have annealed those files...

flylo
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Thi "Nachi" brand. Not cheap but very good.

Mike P
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
I've bought two sets of twist drills at the Farm Science Review, near Columbus, and have been really really happy with them. They're twist drills, a little shorter than the normal sets, come in the 1/16" to 1/2" metal box sets, and all have three flats on the shanks.

They're Winters brand drill bits, bought from Winters Drill Bit City, out of Winnebago, MN. The seller has similar "selling" methods, drilling a file, a combine blade/tooth, etc... I was a bit skeptical, but the bits have really turned out to be great. I also bought a little squeeze bottle of their cutting lube, too. Really thick, clear stuff.

Mike P

outlawspeeder
01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
I’ve seen the show and watch. Haven't bought into yet…. Too good to be true. Thanks for posting for me and those that have thought about the magic they claim.

Black_Moons
01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I remember a demo like that years ago, I grabbed the file and scratched it with my pocket knife file that wasn't very good. They must have annealed those files...

LOL! Good trick.

DR
01-29-2013, 09:36 PM

I did one better along those lines.

I saw the demo with all the "hard" pieces that supposedly had been drilled with the bits. But, the guy demo'd on brake rotors all the while saying everybody knows how hard they are and if they can do those we all know they'll do any material.

I had occasion to come back to the show the next day bringing a section of high speed steel lathe bit. He refused to drill it making a point of ignoring me totally. I admit I was partly hoping he'd try and fail, but if he had been able to drill it I probably would have bought a set.

darryl
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Bought a set of cheap bits once. I think it was the 1/4 inch one I tried out first. It mushroomed a bit of steel, then the flutes completely twisted around the other way. Got my moneys worth out of that set- in laughter. The 3/6 size I could put between three fingers and bend it. What a joke.

lost_cause
01-29-2013, 10:34 PM
cheap drills have a definite use in my shop. i call them "decoy drills". i have the standard 1/16-1/2 by 64ths set in a stand out in the open. the good ones are in the drawer of the tool chest. this way when a friend or family member decides to "help" they don't chowder up something good by putting it in a hand drill and marring the shank, bending, dulling, or chipping it. i will also use these bits in my mill/drill when a friend comes over with something that they need to have "repaired" these items usually haven't been of a quality to justify a repair for the last decade, and i'd rather not chew up good cutters on something that has bad welds, bed frames, ar plate, or who knows what in it.

Bill736
01-29-2013, 11:33 PM
A few years ago, I bought an 80 piece set of drill bits. Every bit I tried drilled an oblong hole. They looked fine, but didn't work fine. I got a refund. Then there was the set of Ginsu knives I bought at the grocery store after watching the demo.
I got a refund on those too. Those demo people are slick . Me...apparently not so much .

J Tiers
01-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Bought a set of cheap bits once. I think it was the 1/4 inch one I tried out first. It mushroomed a bit of steel, then the flutes completely twisted around the other way. Got my moneys worth out of that set- in laughter.

I used to have one out of a similar set....... twisted the normal way half down, then reversed...... happened in the drill press.

Them shore is purty..... gold color...... really great decoy drills......