PDA

View Full Version : What type and where to get decent drill bits

TheEquineFencer
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm in the market for some new drill bits. I had a Tornado come trough a couple years ago and cannot find a lot of things. I use them mainly in my Lathe and Mill. Would yo get just regular twist steel bits like Dewalt brand from Lowes or something else. I had some kind that came with the mill that had less twist and would not flex when used in the lathe. I'm open to suggestions. I do not do any production type work, mostly mild steel. I'm in Eastern,NC,USA.

Dr Stan
02-01-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm in the market for some new drill bits. I had a Tornado come trough a couple years ago and cannot find a lot of things. I use them mainly in my Lathe and Mill. Would yo get just regular twist steel bits like Dewalt brand from Lowes or something else. I had some kind that came with the mill that had less twist and would not flex when used in the lathe. I'm open to suggestions. I do not do any production type work, mostly mild steel. I'm in Eastern,NC,USA.

Go to the Travers Tool web site and look at the house brand made in the US drill bits.

Bob Fisher
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Check McMaster Carr, they only carry good brands, the prices are reasonable, and you get one day service. You can certainly buy less expensive "cheaper" drills, but good drills will pay for themselves over time. They will cut truer, stay sharper longer,and will generally be a better deal. Buy the sizes you need, add to them as needed, and you will soon have a good collection. A good place to start is a drill/tap organizer. It has a place for each tap size, NC and NF, sizes 2 Thru 1/2 in. It has the appropriate tap drill, clearance drill, and tap for each size. It's my most used selection of drills/taps. Bob.

Willy
02-01-2013, 04:58 PM
What Bob said.

I've always found going to cheaper big box stores for drill bits to be a lot more expensive and frustrating in the long run. Let's face it when you need a hole drilled the last thing you want is ruined work and aggravation.

There are a number of quality drill bits available, but I have always had exceedingly good luck with Viking Drill brand drill bits.

Proudly made in the USA (http://www.vikingdrill.com/)

sasquatch
02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
"Triumph" twist drill bits , made i think in Minnesota? Don't have any myself yet, but others swear by them.

Duffy
02-01-2013, 06:20 PM
If you are going to ALSO have a dedicated set of drills for brass, with the edges stoned off to prevent grabbing, then I think that a "cheap and dirty" set of import drills would do just fine.

sasquatch
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Good point Duffy.

mc_n_g
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
A good drill set option is http://www.wintersdrillbitcity.com/ (http://www.wintersdrillbitcity.com/)
Max travels around to car shows and the like and sells them.
I am not associated with him

pturner
02-02-2013, 11:49 AM
If you are going to ALSO have a dedicated set of drills for brass, with the edges stoned off to prevent grabbing, then I think that a "cheap and dirty" set of import drills would do just fine.

My experience, which is more fabrication and mechanical construction related, is cheap drill bit are never a good deal except in wood. I travel a lot and have had to use what bits I could get at the borg at 8 pm, or what was on site. I've used some nice imported bits marketed by Milwaukee and Dewalt, but american bits are 100% reliable, and that really important when there is no easy source for another bit. I've never been sucessiful at using imported bits on stainless- maybe the milwaukee ones would work, but stainless blunted the tips on so many like the stainless was a grindstone.

I buy mine from McMaster, and like most things sold my McMaster- the quality is going to be an industrial good or better. I really don't pay attenion to brands within the US market, and cant speak for Cleveland vs Triampth vs PTD, etc

madokie
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
well if your in a fairly large city stop by pawn shops, they always have plenty to look through ,you just have to only get the brands you know are good and ignore the unmarked or mauled bits you cant read,i have some great looking drill biits from dewalt ,chinese, and they are crap,FYI the last 2 days of the month are best for pawn shopping, these owners have run the books and need to sell something to put on the books.i prefer M42 cobalt over HSS if buying new.added cost isnt much, and bits are much tougher IMO.

dp
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Just an idea to toss out, but you could start with any of the tool suppliers that advertise here.

chipmaker4130
02-09-2013, 02:17 AM
"Triumph" twist drill bits , made i think in Minnesota? Don't have any myself yet, but others swear by them.

The last Triumph drills I got were, I think, made in Brazil. They are still very good qualilty though.

TheEquineFencer
06-27-2013, 07:36 PM
It's a mute point now, my shop burned down a little over a week ago. BP mill is toast and everything inside too.

Dr Stan
06-27-2013, 08:34 PM
It's a mute point now, my shop burned down a little over a week ago. BP mill is toast and everything inside too.

That bites. Were you insured?

PixMan
06-27-2013, 08:58 PM

My God, I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope no one was hurt. Tools are (mostly) replaceable, and usually upgradeable at the time of replacement.

I hope you were insured, and if not you have my sympathy. I'll send you a new 1/2" Precision Twist Drill (made in USA) if it'll help get you started again. PM me your mailing address. Seriously.

TheEquineFencer
06-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Nope, building is though.