PDA

View Full Version : Get used to that new Photobucket.... it's better, they said so!

J Tiers
02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Got an email today that says, basically, "fun's over, no more 'opt out' .........you WILL use the new system now, we are dropping the old one".

They also said that they 'had been listening"....... I took that as "thank you for your input", the famous code-words for "I will forget everything you said in 3 seconds, you fool.".......

Maybe they fixed the stupidest parts, and maybe not. we'll see. It took a long time to get nothing done the last time I tried to find a pic using the new system...... we'll see if they really fixed anything.

Can't move the pics, they are linked all over, and it would break everything..... Thanks PB..............

v860rich
02-06-2013, 10:21 PM
I just went there and didn't see any problems.
The one thing I did notice was all my pics are on one page and the different links are still intact. I don't use PB too much so each time I have to think of what I need to do, maybe that's why its not upsetting to me.
I hate change but I seem to get used to each one that is thrown up alot more easily, nowadays, than I used to.

THANX RICH

GNM109
02-06-2013, 10:27 PM
The change to photobucket has generated a lot of complaints. I started a thread last week to see if anyone else had noticed what happened to the program. I don't think that everyone had been forced to use the beta program yet at that time. I use Google Chrome and in the original version of the program that I was using, the links for uploading were suddenly covered with black bars.

After many complaints, they managed to fix that problem, but now that they have changed completely to the beta, the complaints have been rolling in. I subscribe to a comment line in Photobucket and, the last I looked it was up to 4 pages with about 200 complaints.

I didn't have very many photos linked with Photobucket so I just cleared out my albums and stored the photos. I have them in backup, but they are all over the place so I just pulled them out so that I can return them if they ever fix the program.

The best that you can say about Photobucket is that it's unintelliglble. They totally ruined its former easy edit functions and have made the links for showing in other sites undiscoverable. It's a mystery now. I hope they go back to the oher program because the other sites I've seen aren't nearly as good in my opinion.

Too bad. It was a great site.

lazlo
02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Well, the new interface is crappy, but it's a free service, so if you don't like it, there are plenty of others...

J Tiers
02-07-2013, 12:20 AM
I had (and have) a lot of pics stored there mainly for convenience in linking. I have really never taken many down, unless they really had outlived use.

But, I had them all in one big album, with a lot of pages. When they jammed them all into a scrolling (very very sluggish scrolling) "strip", what they call a "story", I could no longer go and find one, it took forever and a day to sloooooooooowwwwwwwlllllyyyyyyyy scroll through the lot to whatever I was looking for.

With pages, you could skip ahead 2 at a time, or start at the far end. "Not no more", as they said at the old work.....

Now, I COULD move them to individual albums of related stuff. But if I do that, every link ever made to them will be broken, and I had as well simply erase the lot for all the good it will do me or anyone else to have them there.

I "opted out" of the beta, and then they switched me back to the new beta within a day. I then told them where to get off, and they switched me back, which mostly has stuck..... They sent me a survey, but in general the possible answers seemed more-or-less like:

a) I love the new beta, don't change a thing b) I don't love it but its SOOOOO much better than the old way C) the old way was just for losers, keep up the good work d) I'm such a total faceplant that I and both the other folks who don't like it opted out, but you can ignore us.

What I wanted to convey had no check boxes.......

JRouche
02-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Sucks when all the pics posted over several sites are on PB cause if you want to ditch it the links will be a no-go. Guess a person could just leave that PB account up so the old links are still good then use a diff service for the new postings and dont even use the old PB account anymore (but dont deleate it).

I didnt like the new look. I opted out of the beta version and Im still using the old look. I dont like to change unless its better, in this case for me it wasnt better. Ebay has tried this several times with new "themes". They have a hard on for trying to "improve" the user's ability to navigate but I just see it as a way for them to side line your needs for THEIR needs. So be it... JR

oldtiffie
02-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Other than a few minutes getting used to the new format I have had and having no troubles at all.

Once the new format is used a couple of times it almost becomes natural and intuitive.

I like the new format - on my computer anyway.

MotorradMike
02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
I like the new format - on my computer anyway.

If I turn my monitor up-side-down it all becomes clear.
Thanks Tiffie!

JCHannum
02-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I don't know if it is me, them or my computer. I don't go on PB on a frequent basis, maybe every couple of weeks at the most. It seems that every time I do go on, something has changed. Sometimes it is bettter, sometimes worse.

I fumble around a bit, and if it works, I go ahead and do what I had logged on to do. If it is not cooperating, I get on with my life. I managed to function for 70 years without PB, no great loss if it disappears tomorrow.

Lew Hartswick
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
I have given up using it. Now is there a good simple alternate for the kind of
use we need here????
...lew...

Deja Vu
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Wy can't they just follow Tide's(you know the detergent) way... for umteen years they have been saying "new and improved!"..but it's basically the same product. ;)

lazlo
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Wy can't they just follow Tide's(you know the detergent) way... for umteen years they have been saying "new and improved!"..but it's basically the same product. ;)

Like many social networking sites which are immensely popular, but don't make any money, Photobucket is trying to find a way to turn a profit.

They've added a lot of Pinterest-type features.

rode2rouen
02-07-2013, 11:42 AM
I just went through the "new" set-up procedure, and it ain't that big of a deal.

I really like the album list on the left side with the scroll bar. The "old" Show All Albums was, like, DUH.

I don't like the fact that mousing over a thumbnail doesn't give you a drop down for the links to the specific pic.
Now you mouse over and click on the little gear icon that appears to get the links. DUH

The "story" feature seems a bit insipid. Obliviously, they don't know, "Every Picture Tells A Story"

Rex

lazlo
02-07-2013, 11:55 AM
The "story" feature seems a bit insipid. Obliviously, they don't know, "Every Picture Tells A Story"

That's the Pinterest aspect I was alluding to. Guys don't get it, but women can sit in front of Pinterest for hours, tagging photos...

mklotz
02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
On the old system I could mark a bunch of photos, then click a single selection and generate the IMG codes for ALL of the marked photos.

Does anyone know how to do this in the new system? Generating the IMG codes one at a time is a nuisance.

barts
02-07-2013, 05:25 PM
I have given up using it. Now is there a good simple alternate for the kind of
use we need here????
...lew...

Many forums allow users to upload pictures; this greatly reduces problems with photo links breaking, etc. over time. It does use more disk space... but that's cheap enough these days. One good example is airforums.com. where I often participate in discussions about Airstream trailers (we're rebuilding one from the 1970s). You can upload pictures there; they're automatically downsized for storage; most images are less than 200k. There are limits on image space used.

I'm not sure why the management here doesn't support photo uploads. Perhaps the software doesn't support it?

I can store images on my local server/desktop and share those, but most people cannot. Google drive is an option, but not for imbedded pictures.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2LkTc__f5cKU3REZnhZaWdTUEE/edit?usp=sharing (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2LkTc__f5cKU3REZnhZaWdTUEE/edit?usp=sharing)

- Bart

.RC.
02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
It is a very ****ty format for those on slow net connections....

barts
02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
It is a very ****ty format for those on slow net connections....

Which format is this in reference to?

- Bart

RLWP
02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
{snip}

I'm not sure why the management here doesn't support photo uploads. Perhaps the software doesn't support it?

{snip}

Bart

Because it costs them money to store the data. You can fit a hell of a lot of text into the space that a single picture takes. As I am not paying to be a member of this forum, I'm happy with this

Richard

J Tiers
02-07-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm clearly not in the PB target group...... my ONLY use of PB is as a convenient place to dump photos that I want to, or may want to, link to for some reason or another.

I don't need to "tell stories", nor do I need to give anyone a guided picture tour of the ancestral mansion, etc. etc. etc.. You KNOW I must be a barbarian......I don't have a Faceblurt page, either.

So, obviously they don't need to listen to my objections to their constant changes and upheavals. And, it seems likely that they didn't, although I have not swapped-over to find out... so far I still see the old version.

I was going to upgrade to a paid account, but I am glad I didn't, I dodged that bullet for the moment..... I now have leisure to see if I can deal with it effectively, or if I will need to move things, and possibly break every link I have ever created......

J Tiers
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
I just found a NEW issue, that I never knew about.....

Got the bright idea to create sub-folders to get my big glob of photos organized....... but I am afraid if I MOVE them that they won't be linked anymore.....

But, apparently there is no way to COPY them within the PB system..... you can MOVE but not copy to another folder.

Now I will have to test whether the move breaks the link....

never mind..... they have a direct warning that moving the photo will break every link...... I didn't even have to try it.

I have a directory on my computer with "ALMOST" all the PB photos in their PB reduced size...... so I can populate many of the sub-folders with identical copies if I so choose...... but I still have to leave most of the main "glob" so as not to break links I don't remember I have.......

barts
02-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Because it costs them money to store the data. You can fit a hell of a lot of text into the space that a single picture takes. As I am not paying to be a member of this forum, I'm happy with this

Richard

Hmmm. Even high quality "enterprise" storage isn't that much money these days; at some point they will wish to revisit this decision. Google gives everyone 10 GB of free email space; letting people store 20 MB of pictures for their posts would make things easier for a lot of folks; those of us w/ experience and fast net connections will manage in any case. We are being shown ads, so there is some revenue stream. BTW, I never see ads for Enco or Grizzly - perhaps the ad sales folks need to expand their market....

- Bart