X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RWO
    • Mar 2010

OT: Amazing Omniphobic Coating

I ran across this stuff and was impressed. It would be great on the chip pan under a lathe or on a mill table.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

RWO
  • Mike Amick
    • Jun 2012

wow .. amazing ..

thanks
    John Titor, when are you.

Comment

• EVguru
      • Dec 2008

Saw something similar on an old episode of Grand Designs. Self cleaning render.
      Paul Compton
      www.morini-mania.co.uk
      http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

• MrSleepy
        • May 2006

"And a gallon of the bottom coating will set you back $179 USD, a top coat $340 USD. "

So its cheap aswell

Comment

• Black_Moons
          • Aug 2009

Just make sure you get the color right before you apply this stuff...

In other news, men are painting the inside of there houses with it, just so they have an excuse to tell the wife that they may NOT EVER change the color of the room.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• darryl
            • Jan 2003

Hmm- good for a dry anti-friction coating between metal parts- ?
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Tony Ennis
              • Oct 2009

It's not a low friction material, darryl. The surface they're demonstrating is hydrophobic.

Comment

• loose nut
                • Sep 2006

If you painted it on the hull of a ship would it reduce the drag or just shoot it out of the water.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• Arthur.Marks
                  • Mar 2010

Watched the video, but didn't investigate further. I wonder if the achilles heel WRT metalworking would be temperature limits. I certainly like the idea of a chip pan coated with this, but I wonder if hot chips would quickly ruin its efficacy. In any case, a wonderful and impressive technology.

On further thought... I also wonder if it sticks to itself with a death grip? or... If it is truly "omniphobic," what allows it to adhere to whatever surface you wish to apply it to??
                  Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• RussZHC
                    • Mar 2010

If one is to believe some of the comments, this was the process used for full body swim suits in the recent past and why such suits are not longer allowed.
                    The price I found here in Canada is about the same as Mr Sleepy posted but there is a 32 oz pair available and for around $35 within reason IMO.

I think what I would use it for would be for exterior walls that are constantly getting covered in graffiti. Maybe something as effective and cheaper for that use though, tends to be a lot of area.

Comment

• darryl
                      • Jan 2003

I realize it's not designed specifically as an anti-friction material, but the omniphobic and hygrophobic properties probably also give it that characteristic.

As a coating on hulls it would seem to be about the best thing going, both in terms of slipperiness and prevention of growths. I wonder if they got the idea for this product from fish skin-
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
                        • Dec 2010

From the comments: "If you accidentally get this stuff on your skin, how do you wash it off?" Good point

I would sure like to try that and get more info on the coatings durability in a machine shop environment.
                        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• Black_Moons
                          • Aug 2009

I would (hope/assume) that it goes on 'wet' and 'drys' to form a (*)phobic film.

Making me wonder, how durable is this coating, Does it peel/flake/chip off, and how easy is it to fix damaged areas?
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• macona
                            • Aug 2006

From what I have seen it dries to a whiteish powder on the surface. Probably not very resistant to abrasion, I bet it wipes off real easy. I am guessing the bottom coat is something like an adhesive that binds the top coat to the surface when it dries.

The stuff will have no friction reduction characteristics, if anything it would have more friction than an uncoated surface.

Comment

• dalesvp
                              • Sep 2005

Amazing stuff! We're completing a bathroom make-over. This stuff could/maybe go onto every wettable surface and eliminate hours of cleaning time - for the life of the coating anyway. Too bad the ceramic tile is already purchased. I can envision a fine textured wood-grain wall coated with this material. Is it toxic? Can one walk barefoot on it? How about on kitchen counter surfaces? On the surfaces of the stove? I can think of a dozen possible uses for this material. I have some moisture penetration on some basement foundation walls. Could it be applied to the inside and do any good or would I have to dig out the outside of the foundation to apply it? All good questions. Here is where it can be purchased (expensive) and also another video about application, durability, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X