PDA

View Full Version : 2d cad?

pntrbl
02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I've been using ViaCAD6 2D/3D for years now, but really only the 2D because I never did figure out the 3D. Apparently I'm not smart enough for that!:o

The 2D's been incredibly useful tho, my pencil and paper days officially ended, but now that I got a new Windows 8 computer there seems to be some sort of compatibility problem with it. The disc itself says it's for XP and Vista. No mention of Windows 7 or 8.

Contacted the maker, Punch Software, and so far no joy. They're selling ViaCAD 8 now so I suspect my software is now outdated and will have to be replaced.

Realizing I'm fine with a 2D program has anybody got any recommendations? Something real simple .....

John Stevenson
02-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Plenty of free CAD programs out there but you did say simple.
Have a look at Deltacad, they have just bought V8 out and it's cheap and simple.

elf
02-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Have you tried setting the Compatibility mode for the program? You should be able to set it to XP or Vista.

FETOAU
02-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Best ever 2D - VERSA CAD.

If you started on a board, the basics are totally intuitive. Need to do a little digging to maximize productivity.

lost_cause
02-09-2013, 11:53 PM
back when i was in school - late 80's i got the obligatory couple weeks with the current flavor of autocad - release 9 or something if i remember, and then i never touched a computer for several years after that. i got a week's worth of training on a program called drafix which we used to create 2d files for cnc fabrication machinery. i tried using autocad a few tiems over the years, but it just worked differently than drafix, and without instruction i found that i couldn't easily do what i wanted. a few years ago i came across autodesk's autosketch. apparently autodesk bought drafix and it became autosketch. i've been using version 9 for a few years now, and it's also probably going to be incompatible with the next generation of computers unless i buy a newer version - if there is one. with the minimal exposure i've had to different cad packages, i find it hard to make the change from one to another.

Paul Alciatore
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
I have used EasyCAD/FastCAD for years now. I find it very easy to learn and use and their support is great. They have a board like this one and the developer is always on it so many questions are answered in short order. He also has a habit of posting fixes very quickly too. And new features are actually discussed there with the users while they are being developed. It is advertised as 2D/3D, but I have never used the 3D features.

But it is not free. They do have fully functional trial versions so you can download it and try it before committing to the purchase.

http://www.fastcad.com/

http://fastcad.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

All the usual disclaimers.

WCPenney
02-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I've been using LibreCad for ages. It used to be QCad, but it's now a part of Libre Office. You can download just the CAD program without the rest of the office suite.

Free, Open Source, 2D. Download it here: http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

Davidhcnc
02-10-2013, 12:26 PM
I've been using ViaCAD6 2D/3D for years now, but really only the 2D because I never did figure out the 3D. Apparently I'm not smart enough for that!:o

The 2D's been incredibly useful tho, my pencil and paper days officially ended, but now that I got a new Windows 8 computer there seems to be some sort of compatibility problem with it. The disc itself says it's for XP and Vista. No mention of Windows 7 or 8.

Contacted the maker, Punch Software, and so far no joy. They're selling ViaCAD 8 now so I suspect my software is now outdated and will have to be replaced.

Realizing I'm fine with a 2D program has anybody got any recommendations? Something real simple .....

I use Viacad v7 2D and have the same problem as you. My new PC is comming on Wednesday so I have yet to sort this out.

How about installing the disc in your win7 and let us know how you get on or they offer trial versions that would prove the point.

If you are stuck you could buy the v8 2D version for whatever ( $40) dollar and get going the same day with your work with compatability with your old saved files and nothing to learn.

...and I am not smart enough for the 3D too!