PDA

View Full Version : Home Modelling is for the birds----

brian Rupnow
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Maybe that didn't come out quite right, but---This is the first winter goodwife has been home all winter, not out working a contract somewhere. I put up two birdfeed stations for her to watch all the different birds that come to the feeders. (An open weave nylon bag with a big chunk of suet mixed with peanut butter in it.) She has had a lot of enjoyment out of our wide variety of feathered friends, but last week the squirrels discovered the feeders and they were gone in one day. This morning I set out to buy a squirrel proof feeder, and of course, nobody sells the kind that hangs in a tree, only pole mounted ones. So--I bought the plastic domes for an outrageous price, stopped at the hardware store for a couple of eyebolts and big washers, then came home and machined an aluminum endpiece with 5/16" unc thread in it and a cross hole to run a cord thru to make my own hanging squirrel proof feeder. Its amazing how handy it is to have a lathe and milling machine!!!.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/CONTINUATION%20OF%20MAIN%20ALBUM1/ALBUM%20THREE/birdfeeder002_zps207a1679.jpg

sasquatch
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Lol,, yup those damned squirrels will eat everything there besides chasing all the birds away!!
That plastic dome will stop them.

Used to hang mine off the clothesline, (just reel it in to refill it, then reel it back out,) the squirrels tried everything they could think of to try to get to it, even climbing along the wire for a bit upside down, but being plastic coated , they would loose their grip and fall off.
The feeder was about 8ft from the corner of my woodshed, and i have watched them try to jump across to it, but the closest i ever saw them jump was about 5-6ft, then fall down into the snow.
They would try it a number of times , it was hilarious to watch.

dave5605
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Be sure you have the camera ready to go at a moments notice.

You have now challenged the squirrel(s).

1st picture should be of one sitting on the dome
2nd one is squirrel hanging from pivot by rear legs reaching around plastic dome.
Then a couple of squirrel hitting ground
Maybe one of squirrel chewing dome edge off
Finally one of squirrel hanging off suet bag followed by
Suet bag on ground or totally carted off.

Over the years my most successful one was one on a pole with about a 36" diameter galvanized garbage can lid under it that really flopped around on the pole so every time the squirrel tried to reach around it it jus flopped around. Tried plastic lids Nd domes but eventually the squirrels would figure how to chew a hole right through them. Even that could be entertaining though since it might take them a month to do it.

gcude
02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
You are fortunate the raccoons haven't found the feeders. Those guys completely destroy them. And if you think squirrels are smart, you don't want to go up against the coons. Hope you have good luck with your defensive countermeasures.

mygrizzly1022
02-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi all

Racoons! What about this guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPsgZTFnOkk

J Tiers
02-12-2013, 10:27 PM
One of our local Al-Coonda operatives awaiting rendition after depredations upon the food supply of the barn cats. The terror cell contained another member, but was ultimately eliminated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/AlCoonda1.jpg

Squirrels were foiled by pieces of plastic pipe..... they cannot climb it, walk on it, or jump to it.

gcude
02-12-2013, 11:36 PM
One of our local Al-Coonda operatives awaiting rendition after depredations upon the food supply of the barn cats. The terror cell contained another member, but was ultimately eliminated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/AlCoonda1.jpg

Squirrels were foiled by pieces of plastic pipe..... they cannot climb it, walk on it, or jump to it.

That's a REAL "home grown terrorist".

jkilroy
02-13-2013, 12:41 AM
Squirrel is darn tasty! Makes the best brown gravy on the planet! Shoot them in the head (.22 or pellet gun) so as not to mess up the tender meat. Squirrel and biscuits DAMN! Thats some fine eats! Limit down here is 8 per day. Best to find some nut trees, oaks, hickory, pecans and take a seat, don't move, they will be coming. Let the squirrels fall where you shot them but don't get up till you have a mess. As long as you don't move the event of one of there buddies falling from the trees dead, and the report of the .22, doesn't scare them all that much.

Black_Moons
02-13-2013, 03:28 AM
For all the effort iv seen squirrels spend on getting at my bird feeder, You'd think they could find there own food easier...

Nowadays I just scatter birdseed on the ground outside my front door. Fun watching an entire flock of birds fly off when I go out to get the paper.
never seen squirrels go after it, To scattered and too open, the halks would get em. (Its feeds all types of birds!)

Also, No sunflower seeds! Keeps the jays and crows from trying to feed on it. Noisy sobs who agressively chase everything away!

Sure, I mainly just get ground feeder birds, but that seems to be about 90% of what we get around here anyway. When I used to have a feeder it seems like it was 1 birds job to knock the seed outta the feeder and 10 birds would be siting under it eating! Those little brown ground feeder birds seem to hate being within 12" of eachother anyway and will chase eachother off if they are, so spread out over a wide area works best for them. At a feeder they will chase eachother off for landing next to eachother and I have seen some birds spend more time chasing eachother off then eating! Not a good use of energy.

brian Rupnow
02-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Now that, my friends is a WOODPECKER!!! He showed up at one of my feeders this morning, and for those who don't know, that is a pileated woodpecker, and the adult bird (as this one is) is about 17" tall. I am still fighting with squirrels, (the inverted plastic shields stopped them for about half a day). Right now I've got the feed bag hanging on a 36" length of welding wire from a tree branch. The squirrels slide down the wire onto the bag, eat untill I notice and roar at them. Then they try frantically to run back up the welding wire, and after 20 seconds of maddened spinning and getting nowhere they leap off into the snow about five foot below the feeders.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/CONTINUATION%20OF%20MAIN%20ALBUM1/ALBUM%20THREE/ROCKERARMS005_zpsf45cbde1.jpg

dp
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
We have bird/squirrel/rat/raccoon feeding stations all over the place. By feeding them all we get quite a variety of critter in the back yard. We're seeing opossum again for the first time in several years, and a coyote has come through several times recently. Our birds, squirrels, and raccoons are the regulars here, though. We're seeing a few native ground squirrels but they've been replaced by the European grey squirrels. By putting lots of seed, suet, and catfood out at deck level and on hangars they all get along. Over night the rats finish off what is left over.

http://metalworkingathome.com/images/bandit.jpg
http://metalworkingathome.com/images/Beggar.jpg

jeremy13
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
The raccoons remind me of a gas customer. That moved out hear from Houston. They moved in to an older home in the woods. We went over to turn on the gas and check the system for leaks. She started to tell us about the quietest pack of wild dogs that came to her back porch last night. There wear seven of them and they all had ringed tales and little masks on. I didn’t say much just said ok and walked away.

TGTool
02-20-2013, 09:26 PM
The raccoons remind me of a gas customer. That moved out hear from Houston. They moved in to an older home in the woods. We went over to turn on the gas and check the system for leaks. She started to tell us about the quietest pack of wild dogs that came to her back porch last night. There wear seven of them and they all had ringed tales and little masks on. I didn’t say much just said ok and walked away.

That age old question - should I tell them or should I let them find out for themselves?

Bill736
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
We have an inscription on our kitchen window frame that says " Kitchen Window Cafe". It refers to the fact that we can watch the critters eat at their outdoor " cafe" from our kitchen window, just about 10 or 12 feet away. I throw the food onto the ground, and the birds and squirrels , and an occasional rabbit, all eat together, and get along fine. The squirrels are quite partial to sunflower seeds, so there's really very little competition for the other seeds. I also keep a heated bowl of water nearby, which gets a lot of use. I try to feed the critters early in the day, or the rats will finish off what's left at night. When the water bowl is moved or turned over, there are usually deer tracks .

needlenose
02-20-2013, 10:08 PM
No doubt an HSM'er could come up with something more sophisticated, but...

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

michigan doug
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
A .22 will thin out the undesirables pretty quickly. Squirrels and raccoons can be very destructive, at least at my house. Since I moved in, they have learned to stay away from the house + 50 yards.

I can state with great conviction that raccoons make good fertilizer.

Fresh rabbit, done in a crock pot under a few pork chops is fantastic, the juices from the chops marinates the rabbit and keeps it juicy.

doug

brian Rupnow
02-21-2013, 08:31 PM
I have thought of buying a BB gun to discourage the squirrels.---But---There is so much histeria about guns nationwide that I won't. I live beside a reasonably busy road on the edge of a fair sized city. I can just imagine what would happen if one of the passers by seen me with what appears to be a rifle from 120 foot away where the road is. I would have swat teams converging on my quite little country lot!!! So I yell at the squirrels and throw the occasional icicle at them, but thats about as dangerous as I'm going to get.

sasquatch
02-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Brian just use the BB gun out the window,, or get a slingshot!! Lol

uncle pete
02-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Sigh!!!! That nation wide anti gun hysteria is a very bad joke. I'm not even about to go into that just to prevent a thread lock. But....no one has the right to dictate what you can and can't use to protect yourself and your property. While the laws may say different, that does not mean there even correct or right.

We have a huge deer problem in this town. They aren't scared of any dog no matter how large. And they have been known to attack dogs to protect there fawns. I don't and won't ever hesitate to use a 4' long 2" x 4" to train them to stay out of my yard and away from my dog. Life has been much better since they finally learned there's at least one border around here they aren't allowed to cross. If they really won't learn? Well I enjoy the taste of venison. Eating the problem is pretty efficient IMO.

Pete

dp
02-22-2013, 04:26 AM
We have a huge deer problem in this town. They aren't scared of any dog no matter how large. And they have been known to attack dogs to protect there fawns.

I have a cross-bow pistol that fires blunt bolts to ward off aggressive raccoons. They hammer but don't penetrate yet still teach a lesson. The sound of putting the bolt into battery is usually enough to warn off the hot tempered. And they're recoverable and reusable.

michigan doug
02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Just shoot the squirrels from inside the house. You can even get a pellet gun with an integral suppressor. Nobody will ever know:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Stoeger_Arms_X20S_Suppressor_Air_Rifle/2406

doug

mattthemuppet
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
shooting might be one solution, but it's way more fun to try and out smart them, even if you eventually lose (this is for bird feeder raiders, not house destroyers mind). I had a lot of fun one winter trying to squirrel proof my bird feeder, eventually hanging it from a long rope, with 10-12in length pieces of PVC pipe threaded onto it and ~20x20in square perspex sheets separating each section of pipe with one piece on top of the feeder itself. That finally stopped them, as they couldn't get over multiple pipe and perspex sections without falling off, but if they tried to do one section and jump they'd hit the perspex on top of the feeder and slide right off.

Had lots of fun and it's pretty amazing what squirrels can do (and how persistent they are). There even seemed to be a little training academy thing going on, with one squirrel doing a run and his mates watching and taking notes. I did take some videos but I was usually laughing myself to tears, so they weren't any good :)

I had to do a short squirrel relocation program this summer after the gentleman's/ squirrels understanding of them not eating all my strawberries broke down, so now we only have one in our yard and he/ she doesn't seem to raid the feeder quite as much.

uncle pete
02-24-2013, 04:44 PM
DP,
Thanks for the heads up about those. There at least new to me. LOL, Uhhh the sound of the front door opening is enough to make the deer run now. There not all that amused with the guy who lives here that doesn't think there cute and harmless. My methods might not even be legal, but they are effective and only hurt for awhile. If I was outside the town limits? Then herd thinning with my .270 would work far better.

Pete