PDA

View Full Version : A-side from measuring, what else do you use your calipers for ?

iMisspell
02-13-2013, 02:09 AM
Had a pair with carbide tips, would use them to rough layout things from time to time (they where shop owned).
18" pair are good "back scratchers".
6" for cleaning under my finger nails.

Seen some people online use them for shop made DRO's.

_

danlb
02-13-2013, 02:13 AM
One is a DRO for the Z , on my micro mill.

Occasionally I use one as a scribe when laying out parts.

I cut one down to 1 inch and use it for a depth gauge.

I removed the depth gauge tang from another so it can be used in tighter spaces.

Dan

Frank Ford
02-13-2013, 02:34 AM
I use mine as a marking gauge pretty often - the outside jaws are hard enough to make a light scratch.

Sometimes, it's a calculator substitute (http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/QuickTricks/SixInchCalculator/6incalculator.html)

I modified the end of one to use it as a height gage for guitar frets (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Tools/FretHeightGauge/fretheight.html)

j.bain87
02-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Best swarf hooks ever made, always close and handy. :rolleyes:

uncle pete
02-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Hmmf, First and only time I've ever disagreed with Frank. But I use my calipers only for what there designed for. I didn't spend what I have on the best metrology equipment I can afford to not do so. In a commercial shop like Franks where time is money? I'd probably do the same as him.

Pete

Paul Alciatore
02-13-2013, 03:14 AM
Just leave them laying about in various places. They make you look intelligent.

Black_Moons
02-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Hmmf, First and only time I've ever disagreed with Frank. But I use my calipers only for what there designed for. I didn't spend what I have on the best metrology equipment I can afford to not do so. In a commercial shop like Franks where time is money? I'd probably do the same as him.

Pete

What about the $20 chinese calipers? I wouldn't mind scribing with those.. if I bought a 2nd one of them and one was already a little beaten up, that is.

uncle pete
02-13-2013, 03:27 AM
LOL, Good point. I have some free ones that I'd use to clamp parts while soldering. They ain't much good for anything else. My solar powered and dial Mits won't be seeing that kind of service though.

Pete

Dr Stan
02-13-2013, 09:08 AM
They also make good substitute coffee stirrers when you cannot find your 6" scale. :)

Dan Dubeau
02-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Measuring, scribing, calculator/converting " to mm, and the best use of all. Pulling slivers. Seriously, they work great.

Peter N
02-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I keep a bit of conduit pipe slipped over the end of mine for when I need to loosen the bigger nuts.

doorknob
02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Just wondering - anybody use them as an emergency beer bottle cap remover?

;)

dp
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
My oddleg calipers get a good workout as scribes.

Cheeseking
02-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I keep a bit of conduit pipe slipped over the end of mine for when I need to loosen the bigger nuts.

Ha.... You beat me to it. I was going to suggest "precision adjustable wrench" :D

Black_Moons
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Measuring, scribing, calculator/converting " to mm, and the best use of all. Pulling slivers. Seriously, they work great.

I have deticated tools for that. the sliver pulling that is. Very critical work!

Dr Stan
02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Just wondering - anybody use them as an emergency beer bottle cap remover?

;)

Emergency? Its my go to beer bottle opener. :rolleyes:

vpt
02-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Tweezers.

skunkworks
02-13-2013, 09:04 PM
I have used them as scribes quite often - the cheap ones work great for that..

On a side note - When I was about 9yo - I used dads 1 inch micrometer for a c-clamp. Needless to say - I never did that again..

sam

brian Rupnow
02-13-2013, 09:43 PM
I do all of my layout work with mine. Imagine---At one time I thought a Vernier caliper was a precision instrument. The longer I am involved with machining, the greater my mistrust of calipers for measuring anything critical.---Brian

A.K. Boomer
02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
scribing out parts, sliver puller and back scratcher, once in awhile i use them to measure stuff with if the battery's not dead...

John Stevenson
02-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Hook an elastic band over the jaws to make a precision catapult for annoying the dog.

legendboy
02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
They work great at removing slivers

A.K. Boomer
02-14-2013, 12:59 PM
still say the backscratching is one of the best uses, if you have a good guess at how how far apart your itches are you can dial it in - lock the jaws and go to town,,, if your estimate was correct you will achieve not only two itches for the price of one but will be in absolute nirvana...

Wirecutter
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Once, in a "Doh!" moment, I tried to use them to measure the length of a fully charged Lithium-ion battery cell. Snap, crackle, pop...

Very occasionally, I'll use them to measure and scratch a line in layout dye. I don't like doing that, though, and I'd complain if anyone else ever did that with my calipers. (Kinda like "nobody beats up my little brother but me.")

Most of the time I use them to measure. I have several "dual dial" versions (metric and SAE) which I really like. I don't care for the digital ones, as the battery always dies right before the tool is needed.

Need to watch out for the Chinese dial calipers, though. I've got a pair that will slip if I open or close them rapidly. Clean the jaws, go to zero, open quickly, close slowly, and the zero will be off. So I just don't do that with them, and don't count on them for important measurements.

-M

A.K. Boomer
02-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Once, in a "Doh!" moment, I tried to use them to measure the length of a fully charged Lithium-ion battery cell. Snap, crackle, pop...

Totally priceless and not laughing at you but with you - I can imagine me doing something like that so much it's almost like I lived it when I read it, sounds like by your description that the battery "arc grounded" and then just totally dumped it's amps,,, the things you wish you had on video ehh? bravo man, bravo [quote]

Oldbrock
02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Was taking a light cut on a small lathe and some cuttings were piling up on the toolpost and I used my vernier to pull them away, another machinist aping a reporter with a microphone approached and said " and how do you like your new precision cutting hook sir" then pushed the pretend mike for my comment. Peter

MichaelP
02-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Calipers are excellent for entertainment purposes. Just mention here that you use them to measure to .0005", seat back and enjoy the show.