PDA

View Full Version : bridgeport 6F power feed ?

plow boy
02-17-2013, 04:33 PM
I bought a Bridgeport mill about a year ago and have been learning how to use it. But I've been afraid to use the power feed. It has the early 6F power feed with the box with the switch and light mounted on the side of the column. Every thing seems to work, but is the motor suppose to make a loud buzzing noise when you turn on that switch? If not any ideas what might be causing it? You have all been a great help with the learning process and I thank you; John

lakeside53
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Is the noise "electrical" or "mechanical"?

plow boy
02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
It's an electrical noise in the power feed motor. It starts as soon as I flip the switch on. thanks John

lakeside53
02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Probably your bushes, brush holder or... worse case a bad segment on your armature.

These motors s have a bad habit of getting oil in them (just the bearing seal to stop it, and that isn't enough), and it settles into the bottom. Disassemble the motor (remove brushes first) and inspect.

RWL
02-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Probably your bushes, brush holder or... worse case a bad segment on your armature.

These motors s have a bad habit of getting oil in them (just the bearing seal to stop it, and that isn't enough), and it settles into the bottom. Disassemble the motor (remove brushes first) and inspect.

Is the oil seal a common over the counter item, or must it be purchased from one of the Bridgeport parts sellers? Aside from draining the oil out, what's a good solvent for cleaning out the oil? Since it will be apart, is there anything else that should be done / maintained?

lakeside53
02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Use Brakecleaner - not the California replacement "green" witches brew of acetone, xylene etc, but straight tetrachlorethyene. Read the can ingredients or look up the msds. The seal is part of the top bearing, so you can with just replace the bearing, or, machine the top hub to take a shaft oils seal (I've done both).

Post a picture of the parts and we can take it from there.

plow boy
02-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Lakeside53 and RWL, Thank You for the help. I won't get to look into this farther until the weekend but at least I have a place to start. Thanks again John

bosox
02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Might be the splines.