PDA

View Full Version : Totally surprised!!!!!

hoodlum
02-19-2013, 07:59 PM
I have been debating getting a right angle head for my bridgeport....After watching e-bay faithfully, and being depressed at the prices, I reluctantly purchased one of these....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180865742059?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It showed up today, and I am pleasently surprised!!!! I was expecting some cheap chinese quality, but the unit is a Gem brand,made in Tiawan...It turns very smoothly, and also included an r8 arbor, and a drawbar extension so you don't have to get the longer drawbar....If anyone is considering one, you can't beat it for the money!!!!
Hoodlum

A.K. Boomer
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Those Gems are damn good attachments, but don't over grease them, just a half pump every now and then... good deal - very handy....

flylo
02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks, I've been looking also. Just have to make sre it will fit the Chevalier FM-3VS I just got. I think it's the same size as a Bridgeport but I don't have it home yet. That's a great price. Thanks again!

TR
02-19-2013, 09:40 PM
The vertex brand has a solid reputation in Australia. Their anglelock vises are excellent.

hoodlum
02-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Those Gems are damn good attachments, but don't over grease them, just a half pump every now and then... good deal - very handy....

Hmmmm... What is considered "over greasing"? It didnt have any in it....I put about 20 pumps from a small gun in it....Is there a danger in screwing something up?
Hoodlum

lakeside53
02-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Yes, the max fill for the bearings is quite small. It will overheat and can degrade the grease.

Why would they ship it without grease?

flylo
02-20-2013, 12:43 AM
What grease does it take?

Yow Ling
02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
The vertex brand has a solid reputation in Australian. Their anglelock vises are excellent.

Is Australian a new country?

Black_Moons
02-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Hmmmm... What is considered "over greasing"? It didnt have any in it....I put about 20 pumps from a small gun in it....Is there a danger in screwing something up?
Hoodlum

Yes, Excess grease can cause problems as it fills everything and causes lots of drag, causing the grease to overheat and cook.
Never fill anything high speed up with grease, you only want a light coating. Only (over)fill low speed things up with grease to flush out contaminates.

luthor
02-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Closed due to ----------------------- (you know the rest)
Or is that the other forum?

hoodlum
02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
I looked up the lube requirements for the Bridgeport heads and they call for NLGI-1 which is pretty much just general purpose grease....The only grease zerk went into the housing where the worm gear is located,but I'm pretty sure it gets the bearings too.... I took the zerk out and looked through the hole, but didn't see any visible grease.... I used it last night running constantly for about an hour, and it never got hot enough that you couldn't lay your hand on it and keep it there....I am guessing 150 deg f at the most....If you guys think I need to clean it out and re-do, I will gladly conform....Don't want to ruin my new toy!!!
Hoodlum

lakeside53
02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Are you sure it has a worm drive? That would be odd.. the BP has a bevel gear. NLGI-1 is also pretty light. Call Supratools and ask them what they use.

That's actually pretty hot if you are measuring on the outside of the casting. But... new spindes tend to get warmer when new then after some "run-in" period.

The "head" you are referring to.. are you talking about the bullwheel chamber on a varispeed? Bearing grease for the RA adapter? Well... it is a spindle... so I'd use one specifically for precision bearing races (Kubler, etc), but in this application it probably won't matter too much IF you get the base correct (Sodium, lithium tec...). Bearing fill is supposed to be about 20-30% of the bearing volume space, but if there is a larger space open behind the bearing, it will probably push most of the excess out of the way.

If the grease goes onto the bevel gear and then migrates to the bearings... you really don't have much control over volume that resides in the bearings anyhow. Just make sure it has space to spit back.

Grease base compatibility is a concern. If you didnt use the same base as the factory, I'd take it apart and clean out with brake cleaner (the real stuff - tetrachlorethylene, not the green witches brew of acetone, xylene, naptha etc).

hoodlum
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Are you sure it has a worm drive? That would be odd.. the BP has a bevel gear. NLGI-1 is also pretty light. Call Supratools and ask them what they use.

That's actually pretty hot if you are measuring on the outside of the casting. But... new spindes tend to get warmer when new then after some "run-in" period.

The "head" you are referring to.. are you talking about the bullwheel chamber on a varispeed? Bearing grease for the RA adapter? Well... it is a spindle... so I'd use one specifically for precision bearing races (Kubler, etc), but in this application it probably won't matter too much IF you get the base correct (Sodium, lithium tec...). Bearing fill is supposed to be about 20-30% of the bearing volume space, but if there is a larger space open behind the bearing, it will probably push most of the excess out of the way.

If the grease goes onto the bevel gear and then migrates to the bearings... you really don't have much control over volume that resides in the bearings anyhow. Just make sure it has space to spit back.

Grease base compatibility is a concern. If you didnt use the same base as the factory, I'd take it apart and clean out with brake cleaner (the real stuff - tetrachlorethylene, not the green witches brew of acetone, xylene, naptha etc).

Sorry...Yes, it's a bevel gear, and the head I am referring too is the right angle head....There are no disignated zerks for the bearings...Just one that gets the bevel gear as well as the bearings, unless they are sealed which I doubt, but not impossible.....I will give them a call and ask their opinion....

flylo
02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Please let me know what they say as I've ordered one too. Thanks!

dneufell
02-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Hoodlum!.....I am going to give one a try :) Dean

hoodlum
02-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Please let me know what they say as I've ordered one too. Thanks!

Well, I called supramachine today to enquire about lube specs....A man with a very strong spanish accent answered the phone.... I asked him about what lube to use and he said "I call you back".....A few minutes later he called back and said "eeeeehhhhhhh..... Gadeese......." LOL......So much for info from the supplier..... I am going to go with the lube recommended for the bridgeport brands which is NLGI-1 lube.... General purpose gadeese ranges from NLGI-1 to 2 so the 1 is what I am currently using.... Spent another 2 hours continuous run time today and never got hot so I think that's good....
Hoodlum

v860rich
02-21-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm interested in one of these also.
What is the arbor diameter, and is it a standard size that cutters can be found to fit, easily.

THANX RICH

flylo
02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I called also, gave them the model #, talked to 2 guys & all I got was "use good greaeeeese". That narrows it down, I'm going to use what you did. Thanks! Eric

flylo
02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm interested in one of these also.
What is the arbor diameter, and is it a standard size that cutters can be found to fit, easily.

THANX RICH

Rich, I read it as 1" with the R8 version.

flylo
03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Hoodlum did yours come as the head only or the complete stup? You are right as I am totally suprised! Mine came in today & I was suprised it was the head only as the ad states "Horizontal Milling Arbor Support is 55.

Complete Set Includes: horizontal milling head, arbor support, and milling arbor" it also states "Horizontal (Right Angle) Milling Head Attachment- R8 (Head only)

Fits all milling machines with a 33/8" quill diameter and R8 spindle taper

Converts a vertical mill into a horizontal mill

Concave and convex grove

Made of heat treated alloy steel" Here's a link to the ad, It's shows it all complete & I even called to see what size cutters it takes, gave them the ad # & they told me 1" Ebay # 180865742059. Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/180865742059?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Deja Vu
03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I think this is the complete attachment:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horizontal-Right-Angle-Milling-Attachment-R8-/181059578633?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item2a27fdeb09

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Horizontal-Right-Angle-Milling-Attachment-R8-/00/s/MzAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqR,!hQFC4z,7VtSBQ7hc(hIBQ~~60_1.JPG

flylo
03-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Yep that's yhe rest of the story, $220 more.