PDA

View Full Version : Free Lathe

Davo J
02-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Just saw this on another site and thought someone here might be interested, it sounds like he will even load it for you.
http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/3629398712.html

Dave

http://images.craigslist.org/3La3oa3lf5Lc5Nb5M3d2j23ffb2f004441841.jpg
Free for the taking is a WWII vintage Hendey engine lathe. The machine is surplus to the owners needs and it must go. The catch? You have to be at the location of the machine on the day the riggers are there moving machines and you must have a truck capable of hauling this machine or contract with the riggers to move it to your location. The machine runs great. I have been using it regularly. I can't take it because I don't have the space. The date for the riggers move has not been set yet, but it could be as early as next week. PLEASE DO NOT BOTHER ME UNLESS YOU ARE SERIOUS.

taydin
02-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Just saw this on another site and thought someone here might be interested, it sounds like he will even load it for you.[/url]

The machine runs great. I have been using it regularly.

Weird, a machinist giving away such a beautiful machine :confused: I wonder if he listed it for a certain price ahead of his move date and wasn't able to sell it?

I once saw a thread in a machinist forum (don't remember which one), where somebody opened a topic, asking for the value of all the equipment in a shop. Most likely he inherited it and just wanted the money. The shop had both metal and woodworking machinery in it, was pristine and very well equipped. It was obvious that it was a very special place for the previous owner. Everybody tried to talk the guy into keeping the shop and appreciating all of those tools, but I don't know what happened. This was a few years ago ...

Tony Ennis
02-20-2013, 07:51 AM
The lathe in that photo makes me tingly. I wonder if I can get it down my basement steps. I have a hand truck!

Abaker
02-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Free lathe - That's an oxymoron - in the same category as a free horse.

Does look nice and you don't get much better that Hendey.

flylo
02-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Very kind offer as he ciuld have scaped or binned it. It will make someone happy I'm sure. Good for him!;)

Dr Stan
02-20-2013, 08:35 AM
The lathe in that photo makes me tingly. I wonder if I can get it down my basement steps. I have a hand truck!

Let me know the date & time and I'll come help (the sidewalk superintendent type of help). :)

Bluechips
02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Free lathe - That's an oxymoron - in the same category as a free horse.

Tell me about it! I was given a "free" Sheldon 12". I now have so much in it I guess I will have to be buried with it. No one in their right mind would give me what I need for it. Wonder what that says about my mental condition?:D

Wish I was closer to the Hendey. Nice looking machine.

Mike

projectnut
02-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Getting down in the basement wouldn't be a problem. You probably wouldn't even need the steps or the dolly. Gravity will do all the work. The challenge would be getting it to run again.

Fasttrack
02-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Just make sure you eat your Wheaties...

I wish I was local - I'd snag that in a heartbeat. I love those old Hendey lathes.

Rosco-P
02-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Can't tell if that's the 12 or the more desirable 18 speed. Four jaw chuck, steady in the chip pan. No mention of swing or length, but must be at least a 14" x 6', maybe a 16".

If you really wan't it, find a local member to oversee the loading onto a LTL truck or arrange for a trucking company to pick up at the riggers location.

flylo
02-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Will make an awsome tombstone but everyone will think your name is Sheldon:rolleyes:

Tell me about it! I was given a "free" Sheldon 12". I now have so much in it I guess I will have to be buried with it. No one in their right mind would give me what I need for it. Wonder what that says about my mental condition?:D

Wish I was closer to the Hendey. Nice looking machine.

Mike

PJRitz
02-20-2013, 11:49 AM

A Hendey lathe doesn't go down the basement steps, It goes in the basement window.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i368/PJRitz/0817111336a.jpg

lakeside53
02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Free... we need more of this (giving and receiving).

Dr Stan
02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
A Hendey lathe doesn't go down the basement steps, It goes in the basement window.

I think it goes in after the basement is built, but before the joists for the ground floor are installed. :)

Davo J
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Weird, a machinist giving away such a beautiful machine :confused: I wonder if he listed it for a certain price ahead of his move date and wasn't able to sell it?

I once saw a thread in a machinist forum (don't remember which one), where somebody opened a topic, asking for the value of all the equipment in a shop. Most likely he inherited it and just wanted the money. The shop had both metal and woodworking machinery in it, was pristine and very well equipped. It was obvious that it was a very special place for the previous owner. Everybody tried to talk the guy into keeping the shop and appreciating all of those tools, but I don't know what happened. This was a few years ago ...

I remember that thread, but can't remember if I commented on it as well.

Dave

Hopefuldave
02-20-2013, 07:04 PM
I think it goes in after the basement is built, but before the joists for the ground floor are installed. :)

When I brought the Holbrook home, exSWMBO suggested laying a new concrete shed base, setting the lathe on it and then building another shed around it... Practical lass!

Dave H.(the other one)

Weldaz1
04-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Too far for me...

Rustybolt
04-30-2013, 08:48 AM
When you're in business, space is valuable. As is time.

Rosco-P
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Too far for me...

How would anyone know that? No location listed in your profile.
As for the too far bit, no machine is too far if you're willing to pay for it to be trucked to your shop. Might even work out cheaper than fetching it yourself, once you add up the fuel, possible trailer or truck rental (and your time).

Glug
04-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Great pic! Nice trucks and rails.

oil mac
04-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Damn!!!

The Atlantic ocean is between the Hendey and me---- Back to guzzling beer & talking to the cockroaches behind the woodwork

Glug
04-30-2013, 06:27 PM
In five years someone will reply to this thread asking if the lathe is still available.

ldbent
04-30-2013, 07:41 PM
I had a 12(14.5) X 30. Good old lathe. Weighs about 2800# if memory serves. Top speed around 1000 rpm. Reversing lead screw on apron-single tooth clutch. Main drive clutch on apron as well. Quite difficult to disassemble. Tough for basement unless you have a walkout.

Mike Nash
05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
How would anyone know that? No location listed in your profile.

DOH! Because he told us? (Too far for me...) Really? "in dixie" isn't particularly informative either. I'm sure this warm welcome has been most appreciated. This was Weldaz1's second post on this forum.

BTW, since I use my real name, I choose not to list a location either.

Rosco-P
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
DOH! Because he told us? (Too far for me...) Really? "in dixie" isn't particularly informative either. I'm sure this warm welcome has been most appreciated. This was Weldaz1's second post on this forum.

BTW, since I use my real name, I choose not to list a location either.

Sorry!

But "Too far....", the worst excuse unless it's an ocean away. If you want/need something bad enough, you find a way. Sometimes the best and cheapest way is not to go fetch it yourself.

And I choose to generalize my location because of a certain forum troll.