PDA

View Full Version : damaged LCD display on micrometer head

Mcgyver
02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
I 've got a pair of these nice digimatic mic heads with bad lcd displays. anything to be done to fix this?

thanks

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSC_5427-large_zps7d1d02b6.jpg

macona
02-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Send it to Long Island Indicator.

oldtiffie
02-22-2013, 10:46 PM
And Mitutoyo too!!

Whatever next?

Bought new?

How accurate is it really?

How do you know?

Mcgyver
02-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Send it to Long Island Indicator.

probably makes more sense than me rooting around in there.....but my impression is LII is pretty rich.....let see if i can help myself :D

dp
02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
All my digital instruments have died from Sudden Instrument Death Syndrome. I've set a couple aside as they still have value as precision c-clamps. Actually, I'm considering using the parts for micrometer stops on the carriage of my lathe and mill table. Fortunately they're all Harbor Freight products so I'm not out much money.

Mcgyver
02-22-2013, 10:59 PM
these were cheaper than HF but would still like to see them working :)

Davo J
02-22-2013, 11:49 PM
If you want to fix it cheaply and you can get the panel out you might have luck looking on ebay for a new panel, who knows a digital vernier one might fit but probably not.

Dave

JCHannum
02-23-2013, 08:18 AM
By the looks of it, it is a couple of generations old. I have had some luck with dismantling and cleaning with any of the electronic sprays. Sometimes the PC boards get grunged up and cleaning will help. The display looks like it might have seen too much coolant. My success rate is probably about 25%.

Black_Moons
02-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Looks like the seal has broken on the LCD. I think its FUBAR. at least, the display is.

browne92
02-23-2013, 10:12 AM
If these are built like cheapie lcd calculators, it shouldn't be a difficult repair. The display panel sits in the front bezel, and the circuit board behind it presses against the panel through a sandwich of alternating conductors and insulators that make the connection between the board and display panel. There's no soldering involved. The hard part will be finding the proper display panel. Have you tried taking it apart yet? be careful, the insulator/conductor sandwich can be a bit fragile.

Good luck.

Jon Heron
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Open it up and see how easy it is to remove the display from the board, if you can get it off easy enough take the display over to Sayal electronics on Matheson in Mississauga. There is about 5 electronic places in a row there in the same strip mall, one of them should be able to help you in finding one. If your downtown TO you may have even better places to shop, I try to avoid downtown though, and haven't done much touring for electronic stores there since trade school...
Cheers,
Jon

EVguru
02-23-2013, 10:46 AM
LCD rot, seen that a few times!

Sometimes it looks like an insect or worm track in the middle of the LCD, so it's not always associated with an edge seal having failed.

There's probably nothing to be lost by pulling it apart. The repair difficulty may be identifying and obtaining a compatible LCD unit.

lakeside53
02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Mitutoyo will sell you the parts or repair it. Price out out a new Mic first though ;)

oldtiffie
02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
I guess the price to buy it was somewhere between zero and "for (very?) cheap" so I guees that there is little incentive to have it repaired if the cost is "too" high or to buy a new one.

.RC.
02-23-2013, 05:53 PM
If you cannot fix it with a match head, paperclip and a swiss army knife you are not living up to your name... :D:D

Oh and John, if you are reading this where can I make a donation towards your cause?

Mcgyver
02-23-2013, 07:39 PM
If you cannot fix it with a match head, paperclip and a swiss army knife you are not living up to your name... :D:D

nickname was from a buddy and struck me as a good idea when I signed up here eons ago.......the outside world is easily impressed, among you guys in know I'm on very thin ice :D