PDA

View Full Version : a little OT, but at least machinery/repair/rebuild related - and yes a GLOAT!

Dr Stan
02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
I have the good fortune to have completed negotiations for the purchase of a 1966 Plymouth Satellite convertible with the 383 High Performance engine and a 4 speed trans. It is complete with all the trim etc. Engine, trans, rear end etc are all original so all the numbers match. The current owner bought it off a car lot in 1967 with about 10K miles on it.

In reasonable condition for a 47 year old car. Still runs, bad brakes, hole in the top and the interior is shot. Driver's side door has a small dent and there is a 19/20mm hole in one front fender. Both rear quarter panels have rust in the bottom edges. Rocker panels, floor pan, etc are in good to excellent condition. It has also never been in a major accident.

It is one of 475 1966 Plymouth Satellites built to this configuration, so my guess is that not many if any of the other 474 are still in one piece.

The car is in Bellingham WA and I need to get it to Owensboro KY, so I'm looking for an automobile transport company. If any members do this for a living, have a friend or relative who does this, or knows of a reputable auto transport company please PM me.

Thanks (as I still am gloating). :)

Stan

Deja Vu
02-23-2013, 02:42 PM
What are you gloating about? Is it how much fun you will be having fixing it up?

michigan doug
02-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Nice looking car. And in a pinch, you could sleep in the trunk.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0810-96675

doug

Dr Stan
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Nice looking car. And in a pinch, you could sleep in the trunk.

Yep. You should have been there when I told my wife. Her reply "I want to go to Versailles". :) Figure the trunk would be handy.

Well she'll get to visit SAM (Seattle Arts Museum) again, but I do not expect to get back to Europe, although I'd sure like to see Red Square, St Petersburg, and Prague.

That's a nice one, but the 426 hemi was not available in the '66 Satellite. The 383 HiPo was the biggest/baddest engine option. This one will have all the matching numbers. Still plenty of power to get me a ticket during cruise night. :)

Correction, the hemi was available, but was a very expensive option.

sasquatch
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Congrats Stan, that will be a great car!
Some of those 383 drag cars were record holders in their class in NHRA.

challenger
02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Nice ride. I am an open minded person and I believe in hearing all sides of every story. With that in mind Mopars were/are the best muscle cars built. I restored a Challenger T/A and got 4th at the National "Concourse" shop in OH after I finished it. I trailered it from NC to OH & then drove the sh!t out of it in OH during the show. All the other cars in my class were rolled in & out of their enclosed trailers and several had their "restorers" with them. What a shame to have such a car just to look at.
I sold mine for a large amount of $100.00 bills because I was driving it like it should be driven and became aware that if that continued it would be worth much less than it was when I sold.
I have a 70 Chrysler 300 convertible with a 440 "HP" original 55k California miles and a 1968 Dart GT convertible waiting for me to get to. I'll be making the GT a restomod and plan on acquiring plenty of tires and legal bills when done.
Get in it and light up the rubber and waste as much gas as you can IMO.
Oh-do a brake conversion to large disks & drums with dual master cylinder first. Easy job & well worth it.
Good luck

Dr Stan
02-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh-do a brake conversion to large disks & drums with dual master cylinder first. Easy job & well worth it.
Good luck

That's #1 on the list.

BTW, is that one of the 4 door convertibles? I know they made some, but have only seen one. That Dart will be a lot of fun. Are you going with a 340 6 pack?

Hum, does Hurst still make the gizmo you can install on the shifter and lock the front brakes? Sure makes for a cool burn out. :D

challenger
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I've never known of a 1970 4-door 300 convertible?
The Dart will probably have a 340 because I have 2 blocks and a stroker kit I've acquired but this will depend on if I can get a good, affordable fuel injection system. I wouldn't hate a new motor from a wrecked Challenger or Police Charger. It will look old but have as many modern parts as I see fit to incorporate.
As far as the Hurst lock out I am not familiar with this other than a transmission brake & I know your car is manual shift. What rear axle does it have?
Sounds like a lighter weight 383 GTX.
If it were me I would go with plain black steel wheels or dog dishes at most if you are going to drive it. Another good modification is welding in some frame rail connectors & ,what Chrysler called "torque boxes" These were nothing more than sheet steel "boxes" that sort of married the frame rails with the unibody more completely in the two front & rear corners where the torsion bar & front frame rails come together and where the rear frame rails meet the leaf spring perch. Chrysler put them on convertibles, Hemi, and all 6-pack cars. My T/A had them & I had to fabricate new ones. My 300 has them as well.
My point is tying the unibody together with thoughtful use of light weigh steel plate will save the body panels & paint from twisting which is a big problem with the early unibody design. It also puts power to the drive train better and makes the whole car, " behave" better. If the car is mention unmolested you can just add what you see fit with the car an a lift that has it sitting on the tires-not a frame lift. Then weld in pieces so these pieces can be easily ground off for a future owner that wants an OEM show car.
Good luck.
Howard

That's #1 on the list.

BTW, is that one of the 4 door convertibles? I know they made some, but have only seen one. That Dart will be a lot of fun. Are you going with a 340 6 pack?

Hum, does Hurst still make the gizmo you can install on the shifter and lock the front brakes? Sure makes for a cool burn out. :D

becksmachine
02-24-2013, 12:16 PM

Don't know who made it, but just recently I made a modified bracket for a nice fellow to do just that.

He had ordered the kit and didn't like the stock bracket, so he had me build a new one to mount to the shifter stalk that had both the pushbutton switch and indicator light on it.

If you need, I could find out a brand name?

Dave

J. Randall
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
That's #1 on the list.

Is this what you are wondering about?
http://www.jegs.com/p/Hurst/Hurst-Roll-Control-Kit/745801/10002/-1
James

Forestgnome
02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Congrats on the Mopar! I've been addicted to Mopars since I was a little kid. The garage mechanic around the corner used to have a Cuda with a 440, tunnel ram and cheater slicks. That hooked me. My first car was a 69 Polara CHP car. Since then I've had a Ramcharger with a 440, then a 67 Charger with the 440, a 65 Satellite with the 318, and now I have a Dart GT and a 65 Coronet with a poly 318 that's getting swapped for, guess what? A 440! Can you guess what my favorite motor is? Good luck on the resto. We'll need pics.

jim davies
02-25-2013, 11:29 PM
"...That's a nice one, but the 426 hemi was not available in the '66 Satellite. The 383 HiPo was the biggest/baddest engine option..."

I bought a bright red 1966 Satellite with a 426 Hemi 4 speed back in 1967. Got some pictures around here somewhere. Had a '66 2 door sedan, 426 Hemi [same code H] years later. First met an old friend when I was selling a set of Hooker headers through Buy and Sell. He had a '66 2 door, 426 4 speed. Saw a similar 2 door hardtop Satellite in Ebay last year and worked on a few since. I also remember the first one I saw, brand new in a Mopar showroom back in 1966.

oldtiffie
02-26-2013, 01:30 AM
Can you fit this machine into a standard parking lot - say at you local super-market? Angle parking or parallel?

Turning circle?

Can it be registered for normal "on road" use? Or must it be registered as a "special (or what-ever)?

DR
02-26-2013, 08:58 AM
I look at this type purchase the way boat purchases are sometimes described: the two happiest days are when you buy it and when you sell it.

Been there done it, with both boats and cars. And probably will do it again (I'm a slow learner).

sasquatch
02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Re: And will probably do it again:

"Once you get that "Rumble" of a start up with a lumpy cam in your'e system, along with a nice lopey idle,, you never get that out of your'e system!)-Always perks your'e ears UP!:rolleyes:

Dr Stan
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Can you fit this machine into a standard parking lot - say at you local super-market? Angle parking or parallel?

Turning circle?

Can it be registered for normal "on road" use? Or must it be registered as a "special (or what-ever)?

Yes its a "land yacht" but its all what one gets use to. However, it will not be making trips to the grocery store where some idiot can put door dings in the side. Cruise nights and weekends with good (top down) weather will be all its sees.

As to registration, etc in the US as long as its safe to drive its allowed on the street, age of the vehicle does not matter like it does in some countries (like Japan). I'll actually be able to get antique automobile plates for it which are much, much cheaper than the ordinary/regular plates.

flylo
02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Doc, good thing you have that handicap sticker so you can park her in the big van spot wen you go to McDonalds to get that senior coffee!:p
I can see you now getting out wearing your polyester mint green lesiure suit,LOL!
My 1st car in '75 was a '69 Camero Indy Pace Car Convertable, mint condition & I paid $700 cash it took me 2 years earn. They only made 500 & they're worth close yo $100K. Sure wish I'd have kept it.:( Enjoy it!

Dr Stan
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
I can see you now getting out wearing your polyester mint green lesiure suit,LOL!

pony tail, tie dyed t-shirt & bell bottoms for me. :)

Black Forest
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
That car has Old lady driving to church written all over it! Now if you had bought a 67 GTO convertible I would be on my knees bowing to you. We are still looking for a Goat. One day I will own one but I don't want to pay $50,000 for a good one. I can wait.

Dr Stan
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
That car has Old lady driving to church written all over it! Now if you had bought a 67 GTO convertible I would be on my knees bowing to you. We are still looking for a Goat. One day I will own one but I don't want to pay $50,000 for a good one. I can wait.

Not quite little 'ld lady, but I've known the owner for over a decade and he's had it since 1967.

BTW, I'll put a 383 HiPo up against a Goat any day of the week. :D

ogre
02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Thats probably a 4-5 body trunk.

Dr Stan
02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Is this what you are wondering about?
http://www.jegs.com/p/Hurst/Hurst-Roll-Control-Kit/745801/10002/-1
James

that's it! :)

Black Forest
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Are we talking in say a drag race or in cool factor? I have no idea of the comparison regarding speed but in cool factor your car is a non starter compared to a GTO! Don't get me wrong your car is nice and you should be proud of it. And the fact that it is a one owner car is the coolest thing in my book. I will have to buy my car in USA. So when I do you drive your car to the local hangout and I will drive mine and park beside you. Then we see how many pretty young ladies flock to each car. Now you might have more gearheads at your car but I will have their girlfriends!

Willy
02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Looks like it will be going to a good home Doc. One of my favorite Plymouth body styles, and to think only a few? years ago this was "only" a mid sized car.

Keep in mind that while the 383 4bbl engined Satellites were certainly no slouch, they were not exactly the same as the 383 HiPo engines as seen in Roadrunners or Superbees.
Those 383 engines had the cam, heads, windage tray, and exhaust manifolds from the 440 Super Commando.
Irregardless when done right still a very fast and desirable car.

Dr Stan
02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Are we talking in say a drag race or in cool factor? I have no idea of the comparison regarding speed but in cool factor your car is a non starter compared to a GTO!

that is simply in the eye of the beholder, or maybe from the tire smoke a GTO will eat from a Mopar. :)

sasquatch
02-26-2013, 05:40 PM
I do know that those GTO's with the 400 cu in engine "Ram Air", if revved near 5000, you will take it home in a basket.