PDA

View Full Version : Camera and card update

John Stevenson
02-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Just after Christmas I posted about buying Ower Gert [ tm ] a new camera that had network capability.
That camera was a total waste of time, fine if you wanted to upload to face book, twitter, titter and the like but trying to get it to link to a desktop or lap top was a complete waste of time.
So it got shipped back.

So then at the advise of a couple of guys on here [ sorry can't remember who ] I bought one of these Scandisk cards with Wi-fi enabled.

Got it all setup and linked to Gerts laptop and it's brilliant. Take a picture with the camera on the tripod and within a minute it's on the laptop without doing anything at all.

So decided to get one for my camera, bought the same 4G card as Gerts from Amazon, about 25 here so probably $25 over there, same setup but this time to my desktop.

Was taking some pics out on the drive today of some gear that need shifting for the immenent POS machine change over in a couple of weeks and by the time I got back in the house, all the pics were on my desktop machine.

All pro's, can't find any cons with this system.

Joel
02-24-2013, 12:34 AM
That sounds slick. I apparently missed the thread mentioning this, so thanks for the re-post.

4 gig with wi-fi for $35:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099HKNE8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&keywords=sandisk%20eye%20fi%20wireless%20memory%20 card&qid=1361683861&sr=8-3

.RC.
02-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Impressive, I had not heard of such a device... Certainly makes things easier...

macona
02-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Just make sure the camera is compatible before you buy one, not all are.

John Stevenson
02-24-2013, 06:23 AM
That's true about compatibility although mine, Panasonic LS75 is not on the list.
Possibly because it's an older camera but I like it.

Funnily enough looking at a camera display in the local supermarket last week and not one point and shoot shirt pocket camera had AA batteries. They all had inbuilt Li-iron batteries, only 3 so called "bridge camera's" had AA capability and these are too big to fit in a pocket.

So sticking with the camera's we have because we are geared to AA's and even if out we can always buy some and not worry about having to take chargers and wait.

TRX
02-25-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm reminded of a science fiction story by Mack Reynolds, from probably 50 years ago.

A character was bragging about his new "automatic focus" camera. It had a built-in radio. When you pointed and pushed a button, it bounced a signal off a satellite. The mainframe at the factory calculated the settings needed for an optimum picture and sent them back to the camera.

Sometimes you forget how much integrated circuits and microprocessors have affected things...

adnbr
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
A character was bragging about his new "automatic focus" camera. It had a built-in radio. When you pointed and pushed a button, it bounced a signal off a satellite. The mainframe at the factory calculated the settings needed for an optimum picture and sent them back to the camera.

Whilst the ICs have taken over the focusing of cameras, it was still a good prediction for the current trend of "cloud computing" where a lot of the heavy lifting is done on a server, rather than on the local machine. I wonder how long it will stay that way.