PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a Horror Fright double ended tool grinder

loose nut
02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
For those that have purchased the common tool grinder (or looking to) and found it was a vibrating piece of crap, then watch this 4 part video from Kieth Fenner at Turn Wright machine shop on how to fix it.

lakeside53
02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
OK, I'm still waiting for you to edit the post and add the link ;)

loose nut
02-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Opps, soreweee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRy8wGfcIk

CCWKen
02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Seems those videos show up every few months when someone discovers what a great bargain the grinder can be with a few mods. :cool:

flylo
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Bought a H-F like that over a year ago cause it was on sale & with the coupon was dirt cheap. I have a great Rockwell on a stand so it may be in the box for another year. Thanks for the youtube!

Forrest Addy
02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Which leads me to repeat one of my recurring rants: smoke escaping import motors.

Not all import motors have their I's dotted and T's crossed. In some the final dip of the wound stator in insulating varnish and bake have been omitted. The wires if not tightly bonded are free to buzz against each other, chafe, contact, and short causing the dreaded smoke to leak out. This is a potential easily assessed by separating one motor end-bell and (gently) raking a thumbnail across the windings. If any individual wires can be shifted the motor stator needs to go to the motor shop for a dip and bake.

The dude in that excellent video went no further than fixing the face run-out when 4 more bolts would let him have a look at the stator windings.

If you take the stator into the motor shop, bare and ready to dip, the charge would be small to nominal. If you take in the whole motor you'll be charged the hourly rate.

BTW, when you get into the motor connections underneath, be sure to mark the orientation of the starting relay. They are gravity drop-out and if re-installed upside down (easy to do) the start windings will not kick out. Then comes the smoke which no dip and bake will cure.

haroldmulder
02-24-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm in the same boat was down in Myrtle Beach visiting the parents while they were there and the local Harbour Freight had a display model left because they don't carry it anymore so with the coupon I believe it cost me 125$ however on the way home came across a Baldor on Stand complete in really good working condition for 250$ so the Harbour Freight is still in the box.

Harold

Robo
02-25-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm in the same boat was down in Myrtle Beach visiting the parents while they were there and the local Harbour Freight had a display model left because they don't carry it anymore so with the coupon I believe it cost me 125$ however on the way home came across a Baldor on Stand complete in really good working condition for 250$ so the Harbour Freight is still in the box.

Harold

They don't seem to carry it anymore which kind of sucks.....wanted to get one and fix it up :(