X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MinnesotaHSM
    • May 2008

Finger Brake Stop Gauge Plans?

My robotics team has an Enco 16 Gauge Finger Brake. We typically bend Aluminum and Polycarbonate when making our robots. Usually we bend to 90 degrees for both materials, but because of spring back the students have a hard time consistently bending so it results in a 90 degree angle. Does anyone have or seen some simple stop gauge plans for a finger brake?

Thank you.

- Tom
  • kf2qd
    • Apr 2007

Would have to see a picture of the brake, but a tab with a bolt threaded in that it bumps against to stop it.

Comment

• Bob Fisher
      • Jan 2006

I don't think there is any one stop that will work on all things, but it should not be too difficult to fashion an adjustable stop that can be tuned for the material you are working with. All materials will have different "springback" characteristics. I have the very same brake, and will look at possibilities when I get home. Bob.

Comment

• DR
        • Jan 2003

There are many variables in bending, even the speed of the bend is a major factor.

Lots of times when a stop is present users will inch up to the correct setting by adjusting in small incements as a trial bend is being made on a scrap piece. Once the correct angle is reached the stop is locked in position. And, you're good to go, right? Maybe?

Then the next bend is done on a "good" piece, almost for sure the angle won't be correct or the same as the trial bend. That's just the way bending works, the trial bends have to be done in a single stroke same as the "production" bends using the same material.

My point is, you're almost as well off without the stop.

Comment

Working...
        X