PDA

View Full Version : OT: Common sense

Black Forest
03-20-2013, 03:31 AM
My neighbor came over yesterday with a pump in pieces. He had replaced the impeller and was ready to put it back together. He just needed to find the square shaped rubber gasket to seal the lid. He said he had looked on line but couldn't find any square rubber gaskets. I had a look in the box and pulled out all the pieces and layed them out on my workbench. Ah, here is the culprit I say as I take out the square shaped rubber gasket. Hmmm, I think I might have one of these I tell him. So I walk over to my cabinet and pull out a big box full of O-rings. Grab a couple that look about the right size. Take the O-ring and put it in the grove on the flange for the O-ring and put the top on the pump. I look over at him and he has this sorry look on his face. It had never occurred to him that he could use a round O-ring. He left still shaking his head.

MichaelP
03-20-2013, 04:30 AM
No German would use a round gasket in place of a square one. That's why "made in Germany" means quality.

We need to bring you back before you teach Germans to cut corners.

Dr Stan
03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I have come to te conclusion that common sense is not common.

Silverback
03-21-2013, 02:03 AM
No German would use a round gasket in place of a square one. That's why "made in Germany" means quality.

We need to bring you back before you teach Germans to cut corners.

He didn't just slap some rtv on it...

chipmaker4130
03-21-2013, 02:09 AM
Probably a 50% chance that square gasket started out round anyway...

Frank46
03-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Sounds as though he was working on one of the swimming pool pump/motor setups mfgd by heywood. Frank

Paul Alciatore
03-21-2013, 03:10 AM

But according to the title of this thread, it is Off Topic. I'm not sure I like that.

flylo
03-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Boy that's the truth! I believe in education but if I had to pick one over the other I'll take common sense. As Henry Ford said when they were in court trying to throw him out of his own company & asked him a series of questions he replied give me a little time & i'll find the answers. But you can't teach common sense.