PDA

View Full Version : SolidWorks exploded assembly problems

George Bulliss
03-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Iíve been using SW 2013 for a little over a month but apparently have not done any exploded assemblies in that time. I found out yesterday that I can explode the assembly but it does not save. If you collapse it or go back to explode another part you lose all of the previous work. Pulling in old exploded assemblies results in the same problem, all the exploded moves are lost when collapsing the assembly or trying to edit the exploded view.

Has anyone run into this?

George Bulliss
03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Okay, found the problem: Operator Error. Looks like the new version allows multiple exploded views in the same assembly file. Opening the exploded view box used to explode a collapsed assembly and allow editing, now it just collapses everything and starts a new configuration. A trip to the configuration manager tree is now required to select the appropriate exploded view to work on.

Optics Curmudgeon
03-21-2013, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't exactly call it operator error, George. This issue of fooling with the interface with each version has been a problem since Dassault bought the product. It's a constant learning curve, even for features that have been there for several versions.

George Bulliss
03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Yep, it’s always a few days of frustration when updating. In this case, the fact that I just ran into the problem a month or so into using the new stuff led me to believe it was something other than a difference in versions and sent me off in the wrong direction at first. Having a label visible to indicate you were in a new config would have been helpful, as I don’t typically have the config manager open.

Evan
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't like Dassault's way of doing things. The free "SketchUp Like" software they give away is entirely useless in my opinion. I spent some time recently to try and figure it out and gave up. I am pretty stubborn too. I don't see how anybody was able to create the samples they show without swearing off 3D CAD forever.