PDA

View Full Version : Yow! Cl ..

metalmagpie
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
I buy and sell things on Craigslist a lot. It goes with the hobby, and now that I'm retired I made a small trickle income from buying things cheaply and selling them at market value. Today I was posting an ad and I noticed a yellow warning banner saying that externally hosted images will soon be disabled, please to use their (extremely crappy) image system!

W H A T???

I think a detailed picture that's cropped correctly, set up reasonably carefully and shows details is an excellent aid to selling. Furthermore, I host my own pictures, incurring the expense of registering a domain name and paying an ISP to host our Web site. If I can't use my own pictures and have to use CL's, that is not only going to cost them more money, it will make it a lot harder to sell things. (Because their pictures are so tiny and compressed)

Sure wish today were April 1st and this were some kind of bad joke!

metalmagpie

oxford
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Craigslist is just a free yard sale type website that was not really intended for people to make an income off of(even if it is small). Yes there are people on there doing it. There are sites that cost you money that you can put detailed pictures on to help aid your selling. You should be happy that they are only taking away external images, instead of making you fill out tax forms for the IRS to report the small trickle income you are making on there.

flylo
03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
If it's free for you to use how can you complain? Use Ebay pay the price & b*tch all you want.:p

SteveF
03-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Haven't sold on CL for a few months so just checked a couple of ads and see that you can still upload several perfectly fine pictures with the ad.

Exactly what is "crappy" about CL's image hosting. Works perfectly well for me.

Are you one of the folks who thinks 1024 is the minimum size photo width and makes everyone have to scroll to read posts?

Steve

sansbury
03-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Craigslist seems to be determined to make themselves obsolete. I understand they have a huge number of spammers and scammers to deal with but their methods are often slapdash and drive legit users away while doing little to reduce scammers. I haven't been able to post on some sections there for several years because they require phone verification, and their verification system refuses to recognize my office line (which is VOIP based) or my AT&T mobile phone as valid.

I started using CL in 1998 and for ten years it was great. Found apartments, roommates, bought and sold tools, even found three girlfriends on there. Haven't done $#@! there in the past four, it's all *&^# and scams now.

flylo
03-22-2013, 04:26 PM
It works well for me & I apprecate their free service like I do this forum & it's there site so you have to play by their rules or don't play. Simple:rolleyes:

flylo
03-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Better idea start a MetalMagpie list, pay all the cost, put up with all the BS, make it worldwide, charge nothing so we can all complain about some minor detail to you. If you hang yourself over this terrible thing don't use a rubber rope cause I'm sure you'll hate that too. LOL:confused:

charlie gary
03-22-2013, 05:55 PM
How about posting links to the pictures you host?

vpt
03-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Just TAKE better pictures. ;)

lakeside53
03-22-2013, 11:24 PM
I don't have any problems with CL hosting pictures, and, I will be VERY happy when they implement the rules to stop the idiots from linking huge pictures that take forever to load, and link to sites that have no real bandwidth!

Here's one of the idiots. A pawn shop that advertises in the "by Owner" instead of "by Dealer" section. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/3680876827.html Please flag as "spam"!

John Stevenson
03-23-2013, 06:33 AM
I run a free advert site in the UK for model engineers / home shop/

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk

Compared to Craigs list it's tiny but unless you run one you do not know the work it takes. It's impossible to just set one up and let it run because things are changing in the background all the while causing you to keep updating the site and software.

Then the spammers, we get no spammer on our site but let me rephase that , no one sees any spam posts. They never see the literally hundreds of posts that advertise how to spam on forums such as ours, countless links for Powerpoint to Excel conversion programs.

It really is a labour of love.

metalmagpie
03-23-2013, 07:32 AM
There is a lot of stuff that you just can't see in a 300x220 pixel pic.

No, I don't ever use pix larger than 640 pixels in any dimension. In my one or two ads per month.

Easy does it, flylo, I never did anything to you.

metalmagpie

flylo
03-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm just voicing my opinion as you did. No problem here. The rubber rope was a joke, hence the LOL:)

oxford
03-23-2013, 08:47 AM
There is a lot of stuff that you just can't see in a 300x220 pixel pic.

If people need a better look at what your selling they can come and look at it in person. Good pictures on Ebay are essential for top dollar on a sale because 99% of the time the item is being bought sight un-seen. Craigslist is meant for person to person transactions. Just be happy let have pictures at all. Like the others said, its FREE, if you don't like it don't use it. If your items are priced right on craigslist it will sell no matter what the pictures look like.

flylo
03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
I actually don't post pics too often & I don't put my e-mail because if they are really serious they'll call. If they're bored they will e-mail you to death. At least that's my thought. I do put in the ad call for pics. Spme have had bad luck with CL but it works great for me.

Arthur.Marks
03-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I really don't get what the trouble is? Craigslist recently updated their photo service -- it is waaaaay better than it was. Plus, when you enforce using the new service, your ad will be viewed in the (also new) "grid" option. ...which is a heck more user friendly and efficient to me that scanning pages upon pages of text for mental keywords. This is the most change for craigslist in... Well... ever?? i applaud their effort to make the site more user friendly while retaining the original format for those who prefer it. Settle down, folks :)

bborr01
03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
I have got to go along with Arthur on this one. I have bought and sold lots of stuff on cl and always used photo's that I hosted on photobucket, much like posting pics here. Craigslist used to limit you to 4 photo's and they sere small at that. But I have noticed that they allow larger pics than they used to and maybe more of them. Last time I posted something was about a month ago and it was same old same old.

Probably the next time I go to post an ad I will grumble a little then get used to it. Most people don't like change, especially as they get older. My thoughts lean to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But if nobody ever changed things we would be still running dos on our computers.

And like Flylo said, the price is hard to beat.

Brian

Mcgyver
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
IHere's one of the idiots. A pawn shop that advertises in the "by Owner" instead of "by Dealer" section. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/3680876827.html Please flag as "spam"!

owner instead of dealer is I agree is wrong, would piss me off, but on the photo part I have to commend the vendor. imo the real idiots are the ones who make no effort to represent their stuff properly and think photos are something their phones do. maybe the way they use it is wrong, ie you have 50 pics on one ad vs 50 ads so you can search and get what you want, but it is a lesser evil than the phone camera crowd of idgits.

do you guys in the States not use kijiji? 10x better than craigslist imo. gives you a main medium sized pic and a bunch of thumbs; click on one and you get a full sized gallery so bandwidth is only taken for those you are interested in.

this notion of its free so shup up is also BS imo. They are making money or have business model, its not complaining about someone's charity. They or the competition monitor the buzz and it factors into the result. I think 300 wide pics is silly small, maybe double that, but I do get why they want to stop outside linking.

lakeside53
03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
No, most of us don't even try to use Kijiji; pretty much zero market share so why bother.

That particular "vendor" made pics so big they take an extraordinary amount of time to load. I have dsl. not all that fast, but still decent.

IMO.. a slightly bigger picture does not sell the item. The CL size is quite sufficient to figure out what it is. If the buyer wants more details, I send them any size picture they want!

I do agree that many of the picture takers need few lessons in photography, but heck, many of them can't spell or write a coherent description, so maybe one step at a time :)

Mcgyver
03-23-2013, 01:42 PM
interesting, kijiji here is many times larger than CL and far better format imo.

for me, the intent of the pic is not just to show what it is, but the condition and details. save a trip or get me excited. makes all the difference in the world when you're selling and definitely translates into higher prices

metalmagpie
03-23-2013, 05:14 PM
OK I just looked more closely. (I'm the OP.) They now allow larger pictures, which was nearly all of my objection. The one I just looked at was 600x450 which is enormously better than the old teensy size.

So I withdraw a lot of my objection. - MM

lakeside53
03-23-2013, 09:20 PM
lol.. it's been like that (new pic sub-system) for many months in this market :)