PDA

View Full Version : How I got here from a new member

Cuttings
03-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I am relatively new to this forum and thought I would comment on the journey that brought me here.
I started out with a very old South Bend lathe that my dad had purchased used years ago.
If I tell you that the head stoke bearings were Babbitt that will give you some idea of the age of that machine.

It was getting a bit loose so I sold it. After some discussion with an old very experienced machinist friend I decided on a Craftex combination mill lathe by Busy Bee .

It appears be almost the same as the one Grizzly sells. My machinist friend told me these Chinese machines are ok BUT, need a fair amount of fine tuning to get the bugs out them. I will go into what I had to do to this one in another post if there is some interest. I had never used a mill before so bought some books and started out. One of the books was called Milling a complete course by Harold Hall. I worked my way through making T nuts, clamp, parallels etc. Near the back of the book was a project for a grinding rest which included an end mill sharpening fixture.

By this time I had found out that end mills, specially the Chinese ones don’t stay sharp very long. So over about a year and a half I have slowly made all the bits on pieces to build this rest and it actually seems to work quite well. As most of you know along the way I had to stop several times to make a tool or jig to enable me to do the job I was working on. One of these jobs was to totally clean up an old drill press vice that I have had for years. I milled all the surfaces to make it true and make the moveable jaw run smooth and snug . I then made a new set of jaws and milled a small step in the top edge to be able to clamp parallel pieces for through drilling .

Getting back to how I ended up here. Over time I had, like everyone does purchase more bits and pieces including more end mills to do the jobs I was working on. I guess I found out about Grizzly while searching on the internet. I had a look through there catalogue and thought to myself, there are some thing here I can certainly use. So last summer we were on bit of a trip and decided to stop In Bellingham WA to do some shopping .

I of course spent some time and money in the Grizzly store while my wife was checking out the mall. We then drove around some more and found a Barns and Noble book store. Another weakness of mine. I came across The Home shop Machinist and Machinist’s workshop magazines which I had not seen in Canada. A quick look told me that I could learn a lot from some of the articles so I bought them both. I read them from cover to cover and found that there really was a lot of good information and tips in them so I proceeded to take out a prescription to The Home shop machinist because as I said, I have not seen them on any magazine shelves in Canada. I found myself again reading from cover to cover and then going to the shop to make use of some of the ideas.

I discovered an ad for a Machinist calculator and managed to convince my wife that this would be a good Christmas present. Recently I ordered the two Readers’ Tip Books and again found some very informative and useful information. I then realized that these tips originated with this forum so after having a look around here I jumped in and joined. First time for any kind of forum for me.

I have thrown my two bits worth in a few discussions and hope to be able to contribute more in the future as I am learning so much here. I’ll be back once I cross off a couple of more things on Honey Do Constructions list .

Larry

George Bulliss
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the board Larry, and thanks for the subscriptions.

Black Forest
03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Welcome to the forum. Was that a Freudian slip when you used the word prescription instead of subscription? Because it is a disease this machining thing and you will need a prescription but it won't help. The disease is incurable.

Toolguy
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
The prescription is for more toys!:D

Cuttings
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
I can't blame that one on my computer not being able to spell. I didn't say anything about getting high marks in English during my school years.

Larry

becksmachine
03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Welcome Larry, glad you are here. :)

Nice to see someone that isn't afraid to explain something with nice long posts, might I suggest using the return key a little more often to make them easier to read?

Dave

lynnl
03-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Welcome to group!

And please, do take this in the friendly, helpful spirit that's intended. ...a long post without any indenting or paragraph breaks with blank lines makes reading difficult. In fact I often give up trying, and probably miss some good information at times; of course that's my problem. :)

Even if the paragraphs aren't broken properly in a logical sense, just having blank lines interspersed makes for easier reading.

Oldbrock
03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, I was going to say nuthouse but we are not all crazy, just about machines.
There lot of members on the West Coast, if you want to visit some you could easily link up and share ideas.
I'm the only one in the Castlegar area, Torquer used to be in Cranbrook but is now in Saskatchewan. I've been machining for over 65 years so I have learned a little over that time, enough to be safe around my machines and get a little work done. Peter

Cuttings
03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments. What I did was type it up in a word processor, then copy and paste.
There doesn't seem to be a way to control how the lines are laid down with that method . I will try something different next time.

wtrueman
03-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Welcome Cuttings. I'm in Gold River, probably closer to Japan than you. My second lathe that I "just to have" is also a South Bend, but a 18-22 from about 1920, I have been told but not sure. This forum has a LOT of good people. You can rely on them for good info and bad jokes. Wayne.

Cuttings
03-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks Wayne Yes you are a little closer. I am on the other side of the Island. As for the South Bend if I remember correctly you can find the serial number at the tail stock end of the bed.
I sent an e-mail to South Bend and they told me the exact date it was made and apologized because they no longer serviced any parts for it.