PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with this old British drill press model?

LHC
03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Folks -

I spied this under some snow beside the dumpster at a business I am familiar with.

I convinced them to get the forklift and put it back inside in a corner for a few weeks until I can figure out how to move it and where to move it to. I don't want to store it at home just yet for fear my wife sees it coming up the driveway and blows.

Anyway, they tell me it works in the low gear and not the high one. I was surprised it even worked at all given that they set it out for disposal. It appears to have a variable speed drive system with variable pulley belt, and there's a sump with pump for coolant as well.

All I can see on it is the logo "Q&S". Digging on the web has revealed very little, so I thought perhaps some UK lads on here might be able to fill me in more. Even better, maybe someone has a manual for this thing.

Cheers,
Lewis

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/PIllar%20Drill/PIllarDrill1_zps63e6b373.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/PIllar%20Drill/PillarDrill2_zps88fd0a07.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/PIllar%20Drill/PillarDrill5_zps9de7a159.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/PIllar%20Drill/PillarDrill3_zps3c15bc49.jpg

Asquith
03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Lewis,

All I can tell you is that it was made by Qualters & Smith.

LHC
03-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Lewis,

All I can tell you is that it was made by Qualters & Smith.

Well, that's a start ! Thanks !
Lewis

LHC
03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Further inspection has revealed the model number
Qualters & Smith QDM 78

Jess13
03-28-2013, 06:02 PM
IDK but that is one stout looking bench top drill, well worth saving. I never find such good machines just being thrown out, LOL. You should have plenty of fun tearing it down and bringing it back up to service. Nice find.

Jess

redgrouse
03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Hi Lewis, Been in engineering all my working life in the UK but never came across one of these but hunted a bit on Google and found the following on a UK forum : -

Qualters & Smith were bought out by Birkett Cutmaster. Their contact details are as follows:

Birkett Cutmaster Ltd
PO Box 30
Cleckheaton
West Yorkshire
BD19 3BL
Tel. 01274 870311
Fax. 01274 862754

The post was in fact referring to a power saw also made by them and it was in 2006 but still worth a try.

Regards John

thebigron
03-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Excellent find and save. Always good to see one get a second chance at life and it really don't look to be in that bad of a shape. Have fun!!

LHC
03-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the input.
"Stout" really does not do this thing justice. "Beast" might be a better term - lol.
It stands about 4 feet high and almost 3 feet deep and 2 feet wide, and I would not be surprised if it weighed over 500 pounds. It just screams "heavy industry". To be honest I am not sure I can fit it in the workshop !

Circlip
03-29-2013, 06:29 AM
Birketts are also the people to contact for "Rapidor" information too.

Regards Ian.

rockjock620
03-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Cleckheaton is less than one mile from where I was born and used to live. Q&S were a good quality brand and my father used to drive trucks doing their shipping. When I became a teacher of engineering we had some Q&S pieces in our shop. Some of the best kit around.

I could go and visit them if you need to know anything?

LHC
03-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Cleckheaton is less than one mile from where I was born and used to live. Q&S were a good quality brand and my father used to drive trucks doing their shipping. When I became a teacher of engineering we had some Q&S pieces in our shop. Some of the best kit around.

I could go and visit them if you need to know anything?

This is very kind of you indeed. Thanks very much for the offer.
I'm mostly interested in trying to locate any documentation at all such as a manual, parts list or exploded parts diagram if something like this still exists anywhere. I'm particularly interested in the variable speed drive system which looks to be either out of alignment or broken in some way.

The model number on the unit I have is QDM 78.

I can provide you with some hi res pics off line if they would be of help. Shoot me a private message and I can connect with you via e-mail.

Thanks very much !
Lewis

hoof
03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Thats a real nice looking machine, Congrats.

Blazemaster83
03-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes that looks to be a very nice drill press, and I would save it if I could. It looks like it has powerfeed as well. I'm sure it was replaced with a nice new import that is much easier to move around. I have an old canedy otto 18" bench drill that is similar to this, and it weighs around 450. I would guess yours weighs just a tad more. Save it and fix it!

LHC
03-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes that looks to be a very nice drill press, and I would save it if I could. It looks like it has powerfeed as well. I'm sure it was replaced with a nice new import that is much easier to move around. I have an old canedy otto 18" bench drill that is similar to this, and it weighs around 450. I would guess yours weighs just a tad more. Save it and fix it!

I never thought about it having a power feed. That warrants a little more investigation.

I have learned a little more from a couple of UK forums that I posted a query on as well. This machine may be an identical unit as the "Kerry MN 78" pillar drill. That term in google yields an old auction where one was sold in the US and the picture looks almost identical.

Thanks for the input.

Lewis