PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly question

PonderCreekStudio
03-28-2013, 02:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is my first post here, but I've been reading for a long while. This site is a wonderful resource.

My question has to do with Grizzly's G0727 horizontal/vertical mill, and the dratted 5/8" horizontal arbor. Although the space available is limited as far as diameter of cutters, I'm trying to figure out a way to modify the machine to use a larger arbor and widen my selection of cutters. So far, the best I can come up with is either using a sleeve (maybe keyed or just nut clamped) over the existing arbor, and then using new, larger spacers over the sleeve (this seems to me to be the easiest solution), or making a completely new and larger arbor. The other idea I've been kicking around is using the original arbor, but replacing one of the spacers with one designed to hold a larger cutter (a "spacer" with an OD to fit a larger cutter's ID, and threaded on both ends for nuts to clamp the cutter), if this makes sense. Has anyone here successfully done such a modification to one of these machines? Any ideas that I might be missing?

Beyond the limited horiz spindle size, I've been impressed with the quality of this little machine. Before I bought it, I was a bit concerned about potential quality issues, considering the country of origin, but it's a very nicely made piece of equipment, within its limits. I also have a Grizzly mini lathe (also surprisingly well made) which I use mostly for making tobacco pipes (aluminum, brass and briar), and for making replacement stems while restoring estate pipes, plus making parts for occasional modifications to a Chinese old-geezer scooter I ride to save on fuel. My biggest Grizzly complaint is the earwax they pack the machines in for shipping -- what a pain in the rear to clean all that goo off every part. It's the same goop they use to pack SKSes and other military surplus items. I picture in my mind hundreds of millions of Asians collecting their earwax daily and selling it to exporters of ferrous goods.

Until buying these two Grizzlys, all of my experience was with multi-ton U.S. iron dinosaurs. My final shop employment was at an upstate New York heavy equipment/farm tractor repair place, and much of our work was fabricating replacement parts for obsolete farm machinery (or new machinery -- whatever can be built, a farmer can break it). I'm very much enjoying working with machinery that weighs less than I do for once in my life. Back in 2007 I broke my back catching an overhead door when the coil assist spring broke. I tried to catch the door because a coworker was standing under it when the spring let go. In retrospect, that coworker wasn't someone I particularly liked, and maybe I should have saved my back and let him take the squishing, but that's another story for another time. In any case, because of the spinal injury, I'm limited in what I can move and lift; hence the mini machines, and my desire to modify them to obtain a bit more usefulness when possible.

I realize a new spindle isn't quite a shop made tool, but figured it was close enough to fit in this thread. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks much in advance for any ideas --

Reuben

(If Reuben is too Jewish for any of you, feel free to call me Rob. I'll answer to either. Ha! Between the schnoz and the mohel's craftsmanship, I'm marked for life, anyway, no matter which name I go by.)

George Bulliss
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Reuben. I moved your post from the shop made tools thread to allow more people to see it and give you a better shot at getting an answer.

SGW
03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Since when does Reuben imply Jewish? My great-uncle was Reuben, and certainly not Jewish. Besides, who cares?

garagemark
03-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Since when does Reuben imply Jewish? My great-uncle was Reuben, and certainly not Jewish. Besides, who cares?

Turn your humor button on.

And welcome to you Reuben.

Wirecutter
03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Welcome, Reuben. I'm also a fan of the sandwich for which you are the namesake. (time for lunch)

OT:
Names crack me up sometimes. I used to work with an Indian guy (dots, not feathers) who also happened to be a Sikh (sp?) Wore a turban, grew a beard, etc. His name was Jagpal (pronounced JAG-paul, more or less). Great guy, etc, etc. At the same place, my boss was a Texan from Houston. Perhaps because of the (US) "southernism" of multiple names (Mary Sue, Billy Joe, etc) that the Texan always called the Indian "Jack Paul".

-Mark

Mcgyver
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm also a fan of the sandwich for which you are the namesake. (time for lunch)

Great. thanks, now I'm hungry :)

Welcome Rueben

JohnAlex141r
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Reuben;

The machine is R8 spindle, right? So, if you get an R8 adapter, and a bit of 1" dia ground mild steel, you should be able to make an adapter.

But -- the spacers on a horizontal arbour (Canadian spelling) have to be really accurately made, otherwise cutters will wobble.

I have had good luck on finding what I wanted from Jeff Beck - Tools4cheap - in/around NYC. (woops - edit - around Harvard MA) He might be able to help.

Also, isn't there an advertiser in HSM that offers arbours (eh?) for the Atlas machines? All my mags are @home, and I'm not.

Keep telling us about your mill. I think the design is really interesting; I keep thinking of getting one and making it into a CNC "Chucker" lathe; with a couple of toolposts on the table and a little Sherline chuck in the spindle, it might be really interesting for cranking out smaller parts!

John A. Stewart.

The Artful Bodger
03-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Rueben!

I will think you will find that ear wax is actually dragon fat!:D

duckman
03-28-2013, 06:37 PM
For what it's worth Tools For Cheap is located in Harvard, MA and Jeff is an honorable person will go out of his way to help you.

PonderCreekStudio
03-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Yep, names can be fun. I have a cousin who married into a Bacon family, also Jewish. Her husband gets uppity if I pronounce it like the breakfast meat, and reminds me it's pronounced more like the French "garcon." So, of course, I say it wrong often. He went through a Jewish parochial school, and must have had a heck of a hard time with his name as a kid. I was with him at La Guardia once when he was paged (pronounced wrong, of course), and I thought he was going to have a stroke right in front of me.

I'll have to remember "dots, not feathers." Good turn of words. Thanks for the welcomes, all.

PonderCreekStudio
03-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Thank you, John. Yes, the potential wobble was something I hoped to take care of with a different setup than what the machine came with. I'll call Tools4Cheap, and see what they have to say.

I speak and read pretty good Canadianese, having spent a hair over 19 years in Alaska, and doing business with a lot of you. I even say eh now and then by accident. Combine that with being born in Israel and spending several chunks of time living over there, a few years in NY, and now retired in Missouri, and I've ended up with a nice blend of accents.